Any thought,s on Revell?

stevej60

They released some nice airliner (and the A400M plus Eurofighter) in1/144, the C-54, Corsair, Gripen and BAe Hawk (1/72), Tornado (1/48), the FW190 and Spitfire in 1/32, that's about it for the news 2014/2015. Maybe I forgot one or two, but that's not what I call a huge output. Rest are are reboxings, some good ones like the Su-27SM, some bad ones like the F/A-18C, Rafale of Buccaneer in 1/72.

Alex

I agree with the above, nearly all the 1/144 releases this year were reboxed kits with new decals and as they still insist on only supplying one decal option for most of them it means you can only produce one model from each boxing!! Lack of after market decals in this scale is an issue but Revell should not be relying on after market in any case.

Regarding the comments about car kits, I would imagine from what I've seen that many car manufactures apply licensing rights to their brand, this means that as long as Revell has the license there is no competition. For example they've worked on a Shackleton for how long only to find that they have immediate competition from Airfix (whose kit is out first to boot), one would suggest they don't have this issue with many of the car kits due to licensing and sole production rights. Hope that makes sense!

I agree with the above, nearly all the 1/144 releases this year were reboxed kits with new decals and as they still insist on only supplying one decal option for most of them it means you can only produce one model from each boxing!! Lack of after market decals in this scale is an issue but Revell should not be relying on after market in any case.

Regarding the comments about car kits, I would imagine from what I've seen that many car manufactures apply licensing rights to their brand, this means that as long as Revell has the license there is no competition. For example they've worked on a Shackleton for how long only to find that they have immediate competition from Airfix (whose kit is out first to boot), one would suggest they don't have this issue with many of the car kits due to licensing and sole production rights. Hope that makes sense!

More than one model company can have a license from a single car manufacturer, depending on the agreements in place. Revell is licensed by Ferrari but Tamiya is licensed too so there's competition if the two companies want to go head to head on the same subject, as they did on LaFerrari

Interesting, I didn't realise that. In my line of work if we get the license to supply a particular brand we become the sole license holder for our particular area, obviously different in world of models.

Thanks for correcting me.

Not only different in the world of models, licenses can be exclusive or not. In my everyday job I deal with a number of companies who all have distribution licenses for the same brand often in the same areas. The same Ferrari that have granted non exclusive licenses to both Revell and Tamiya at the same time have an exclusive license with a Chinese group for die-casts

Interesting, I didn't realise that. In my line of work if we get the license to supply a particular brand we become the sole license holder for our particular area, obviously different in world of models.

Thanks for correcting me.

Indeed, as already mentioned by Giorgio there can be different types of license. Revell has a license from Disney to produce produce Star Wars kit but so does Bandai. I'm aware also that within an exclusive license there might be the option to sub-license it to another manufacturer.

Hmmn

I did have a rare thought and that was if Revell did have a propensity to release aircraft that flew in RAF Germany post war then I confess I would not be harsh on them if they announced a 1/32 scale Buccaneer - would anyone really protest?