Airfix KitStarter offerings - up to detail level of their other new tool offerings?

WildeSau75

Hi guys,

I got the Airfix newsletter announcing two new KitStarter offerings in 1/72 - the Beagle Basset and the DHC Beaver. Are these going to be new tool offerings or a re-issue?

They do say that these models were already released once but I am not fully sure if it's gone be a re-issue of the old moulds or a new tool product.

Does anybody knows that?

And does KitStarter say anything about the level of detail one can expect? Sounds like models especially made for beginners to me.

Hope someone can shed some light on this.

Thanks & greetings from Switzerland.

Michael

I think its a re-issue, as it says the tooling for the Basset is currently in India and the model will be produced there.

I think its a re-issue, as it says the tooling for the Basset is currently in India and the model will be produced there.

Okay - and the KitStarter label doesn't mean anything special in terms of being designed as an entry level kit?

Hi Michael

look at the Airfix site.

http://www.airfix.com/uk-en/news/introducing-airfix-kitstarter/

Kitstarter is chance to vote for a new production run of classic kits.

The Beaver and Basset are 70's era kits IIRC, but have not been available for a while, full details of when they were made and what they are like will be on the Airfix tribute site. eg

http://airfixtributeforum.myfastforum.org/Airfix_1_72_Beagle_Basset_02025__about9814.html

http://airfixtributeforum.myfastforum.org/Airfix_Beaver_1_72_about28712.html

So, no, they will not be up to the standards of their new tools.

Hi Michael

look at the Airfix site.

http://www.airfix.com/uk-en/news/introducing-airfix-kitstarter/

Kitstarter is chance to vote for a new production run of classic kits.

The Beaver and Basset are 70's era kits IIRC, but have not been available for a while, full details of when they were made and what they are like will be on the Airfix tribute site. eg

http://airfixtributeforum.myfastforum.org/Airfix_1_72_Beagle_Basset_02025__about9814.html

http://airfixtributeforum.myfastforum.org/Airfix_Beaver_1_72_about28712.html

So, no, they will not be up to the standards of their new tools.

Thank you Troy - now even I understand it ;-).

I am not so convinced from the concept of re-issuing old kits - rather would one more new tool kit than 5 re-issued 1970 era ones. But that's just me. I find it very good that Airfix is asking its customer base about what they want or not. So not get me wrong - I am a big fan of what Airfix is doing for the scale modeling fans.

Cheers,

Michael

Hi

Bet the transparencies wont be as good as the previous releases

gets on 🚲 :)

sorry couldnt resist after the quality of my last three airfix purchases

cheers

jerry

I am not really convinced that Airfix should divert from their program of recent new issues that have been acclaimed.

There is one "old" kit that I think they would sell loads of if they worked on it rather like the reissued Buccaneer a few years ago.

If they reissued their Scout helicopter with alternate parts for a Wasp, now that would sell well.

Nigel

• Like 1

I am not really convinced that Airfix should divert from their program of recent new issues that have been acclaimed.

There is one "old" kit that I think they would sell loads of if they worked on it rather like the reissued Buccaneer a few years ago.

If they reissued their Scout helicopter with alternate parts for a Wasp, now that would sell well.

Nigel

Hey Nige...

Then you should visit the forum and suggest it. you never know !

I am not sure that the Kitstarter effort will divert from the new releases, it seems to be a way of using old moulds that have paid for themselves to create a new income stream. My reasons for this are that

1) They are looking at kits that probably no longer have mass market appeal but have a following amongst modellers (which is what Airfix seems to think)

2) They are short runs and being produced in the UK, away from their mass production contracts in India.

3) It would appear packaging etc. would be minimal and so few resources will be spent on design etc.

My guess is that although the Airfix side of the business is profitable, the product line needs to generate more income for the group has a whole. This seems a way of using moulds that are still usable but lying idle. As fully written down as assets, from an accounting point of view any income they generate will become largely profit.

If we're talking income then kitstarter might not be a bad idea. Out of production kits like the Cessna O-2 and Piper Cherokee Arrow are usually good sellers on ebay and can go for a quite a high price. However, I do agree it would be good if Airfix can look to retooling the popular kits to modern standards

Personally speaking, the Beaver interests me much more than the Basset. I quite enjoyed building it years ago and even if one judged it against the current Airfix 'new tools', I think it would still give a good accounting of itself.

Scott

Edited by Scott Hemsley

If they did re-release the Basset, that would be good in that we would see some nice new decals.

One downside to this would be the effect it would have on values in the classic kit market.

It's not very often that you see Airfix Beagle Bassets, but when you do they seem to fetch good prices.

What I would rather see is new tools of the 1/72 Buccaneer and the 1/72 Thunderstreak. New tools are more important than re-boxings, for the market and the company I would have thought.

Martin

The effect on classic kit values is only a downside for those of us who already have the kits! I can't see a newly-moulded kit in a plain box having the same attraction for a collector as an original moulding in a "red stripe" box.

Airfix shouldn't even need to provide a set of paper instructions, as they can stick a scanned set on their website.

Ayup All...

Can't remember where, (may have been here) but some other cove opined that the kitstarter things simply just a 'crowd-funding' marketing piece of schtick from Airfix with no real direction behind it. They know how rabid the modelling community gets whenever it does anything so, its shooting fish in a barrel really. TBH, all I want to get my hands on are a Beau and Stuka. The new ones of course.

Maybe all of the potential and good condition long run moulds were all sent to be stored in China, then India to save on later transporting from the UK costs when production was moved there.

one thing that does puzzle me why the moulds for these kits are in india ...

I don't think they are, the new kits are made in India, but I was under the impression that old moulds not currently in use are in the UK.

Apparently some of the popular requested kits cannot be done due to the poor state of the moulds. Perhaps their popularity will persuade Airfix to look at doing a new tooling instead. I suppose the unknown could be whether the cost of a new tooling will still be profitable or should Airfix recover the cost from sales of their best sellers.

I thought the KitStarter kits weren't for general release - people pre-order them and if they get enough orders to make a production run worthwhile, then they make as many as have been ordered. On that basis I can't imagine there'll be a sudden flood of them on the market, but I've been wrong before.

I don't think they are, the new kits are made in India, but I was under the impression that old moulds not currently in use are in the UK.

read this..

As the tooling for this model is held in India, the manufacture will take place there hence the lead time for production will be slightly longer.

http://www.airfix.com/uk-en/kitstarter/kitstarter-beagle-basset.html

A lot of the older tooling was shipped to India when Hornby started producing kits there. Picking up a couple at random the most recent releases of ex-JB Vickers tank and Shorts Tucano both say made in India

Edited by Dave Fleming