Clangers sneak peek...

It's not the same! This used to be family entertainment, and now it's just a kid's programme. Tiny and Major Clanger just don't look right, and as for the iron Chicken -- why did she have to have a politically correct makeover?

I'll just have to watch every episode and get grumpy week in and week out about each one being messed about with... And those ridiculous stories; not like they were back in the 70s when they dealt with important social issues with a biting satirical wit...

[sorry, just thought I'd say it before anyone else did....]

;-P

bestest,

M.

• Like 6

No. No it isn't. Probably. :shrug: Almost everything was done by Oliver Postgate and his pal Peter Firmin back in the day, so the cost of adding a dodgy person to the roster wouldn't have been justified. So there! :tease:

Apart from Michael Palin's voice not being particularly sharp (I miss Oliver Postgate's) I think they seem to have done quite a nice job if that's typical of the series. My late lamented best buddy Andi bought me a Clangers DVD as a joke one year, and Christopher loves it, so I know my subject matter ;)

• Like 1

...only Oliver Postgate could have used a swanee whistle to "voice" Major Clanger saying "Oh, S*d it, the Bl**dy thing's stuck again" with such accuracy and precise whistle-diction that they had to cut it out (although the knitted Major Clanger based on the original design that came out for collectors a few years ago DOES have that phrase amongst his electronic playbacks...)...

bestest,

M.

• Like 1

Son paused Games of Thrones to watch it. He thought it was a spoof and was waiting for a punch line!

I'm sure Tiny Clanger said "Eh oh!" at one point...

Trevor

The Roger Whittaker thing was a wind up.

I can still hear the sound of the narration,

in my mind, This one and Noggin the Nogg!

Maybe we watched them as there wasn't much choice

at the time, but they do endure and are still entertaining.

Pete,

(Who has recently obtained Do not adjust your set & At last the 1948 show).

I always thought that the preambles to each episode of the Clangers were quite down on Earth, calling us names and generally not being very kind to our rather noisy, aggressive and self-destructive society. If you listen to them from an adult point of view it's quite sad. :(

Didn't seem to bother the Boy though, but the constantly changing volume from episode to episode on the DVD transfer was a bit annoying. <_<

I know: that bit about important social issues and satirical wit wasn't ironic at all... Oliver Postgate was a quiet revolutionary, and rather angry in a gentle British way. I still remember the one with the machine that just goes on making things that they don't need, and the Election Special...

Read Stewart Lee's introduction to the recent Smallfilms book; it'll bring a tear to your eye with his definition of Britishness...

Bestest,

M.

...only Oliver Postgate could have used a swanee whistle to "voice" Major Clanger saying "Oh, S*d it, the Bl**dy thing's stuck again" with such accuracy and precise whistle-diction that they had to cut it out (although the knitted Major Clanger based on the original design that came out for collectors a few years ago DOES have that phrase amongst his electronic playbacks...)...

bestest,

M.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfsMZKwqw3w

We got a three set DVD for our Grandaughter, it's got all the original Clangers episodes as well as Ivor the Engine and Bagpuss. Grandaughter is a bit ambivolent towards them, but I love them. :confused:

Just watched the first episode, and...

...what were they thinking of? It's so unrealistic. I mean, a "big wind" blowing the notes away, where anyone can see from how clear the skies are that there's no atmosphere on the Clangers planet. You'd think that they'd try to get the basics right, at least those old knitted models and cardboard props behaved like real things because they were!. And as for the breakneck pace... kids today have no attention span, obviously, and can't cope with a story that doesn't have an explosion every two minutes. The characterisation was very weak -- all the Clangers seem just the same, so they've had to sew initials on the front of their costumes. They don't respect the proper sets, either -- I mean, Mother Clanger has a garden now? What??? There a baby Soup Dragon now, what's all that about? I can't even tell what they're saying any more -- how's a child supposed to understand when this adult doesn't? And as for Michael Palin -- why did they think they needed a Monty Python voiceover?

I dunno. Anyone would think it had been made just for children. Still, I shall watch all the rest and vent my spleen after every episode.

Hah.

bestest,

M.

Edited by cmatthewbacon
  • Like 3