1/72 F-101A & RF-101C Voodoo from Valom

Robert

Erm, isn't the Revell one the old Matchbox one reboxed? Have one of those in the stash!

Edit: Scratch that, just seen it's the old monogram one!

HUH??? :bye:

As far as I know, that model was tooled in Korea, and has always been under the Revell label in it's various incarnations.The old Monogram "1/72" Voodoo can't hold a candle to it.

Dennis, have you tried companies like Canuk and Belcher Bits. Also, Leading Edge used to have a sheet, so you might want to drop them a line. Finally, they aren't too hard to find on EBay.

Gene K

Edited by Gene K
  • Like 2

Dennis, Belcher Bits decals are very good, I have their CF-104 sheet and like it a lot. Can't comment on accuracy of the Voodoo set as the CF-101 is beyond my interest but I expect quality of the decals and printing to be as good as my sheet. And the Revell kit is a gem.

Now this new Valom kit looks very interesting, definitely in my shopping list !

HUH??? :bye:

As far as I know, that model was tooled in Korea, and has always been under the Revell label in it's various incarnations.The old Monogram "1/72" Voodoo can't hold a candle to it.

http://www.scalemates.com/kits/176228-revell-04854-f-101b-voodoo

Only going on what I can find!

Edited by charlie_c67

I would suggest Scalemates has got it wrong, the early 1990's version was an all new kit, similar in breakdown to the Monogram 1/48th kit. I remember really looking forward to the kit when it was new and was concerned it would be a re-issue of the old Matchbox kit - fortunately it wasn't. I suspect that Monogram kit is originally much,much older than 1988, likewise, that Monogram version from 1992 could actually be the 1/48th kit.

I've never seen the revell kit in anything other than the 1991, 1998 and 2013 boxes - it is a very good kit.

I've never seen the revell kit in anything other than the 1991, 1998 and 2013 boxes - it is a very good kit.

I have both the 1991 and 1998 ones (came across four of em dirt cheap years ago so picked em up) - they include CAF decals but aren't entirely correct: the 'CANADA' legend is in a wrong font and completely black, while it should be red with black outline. So not really worth getting them for the decals anyway, except maybe for the long horizontal flash.

Jay

Edited by Mountain goat

Scalemates is in error. The Revell 1/72 Voodoo was newly released (in the US) as a Revell kit (no. 4456) in1992, but the Monogram "Mini Masterpieces" F-101 is a 1989 re-release of their earlier 1/109 scale kit. It was issued in a series with other Mini Masterpiece kits which were 1/72 (P-51B, F8F, and P-36), but is definitely NOT 1/72, in spite of what it says on the box.

Edited by Space Ranger

• 2 weeks later...

Nice to see an updated and proper fighter bomber version at last. Sadly too late for me as I am now working in 1/48 and 1/32. I have half a dozen Hasegawa kits with conversions and decals in the stash. Still awaiting an nice, accurate 1/32 scale injection kit. It will happen after I build my Combat Wings vacform I'm sure!

• Like 1

Nice review Jorge.

My two recce Voodoos arrived yesterday, Wednesday, direct from Valom. Nice beige plastic, which always has been my favourite working colour for styrene.

Am absolutely delighted that we have single seaters on par with the Revell two-seat Bravos. Unlike the ancient Hasegawa offering, which I believe first came out in 1967 or 1968, the sensor apertures are see-through on the Valom, offering considerable scope for interior detailing.

The omission of the wing fences is indeed an oversight but not an insurmountable problem. Something-thou plastic card will doubtless solve that problem, or as resin or PE AM. Resin slot-in sensor arrangements and open sensor doors would also be nice if Aires or another indulges us.

Personally, I find the detail level spot-on. That is why I make 1/72 kits - relatively quick builds that gratify without being overly demanding. For detail, and heft, I still am hoping for a 1/32 Kitty Hawk offering before too long.

Mostly, what the Valom kit needs is AM decal options. The RF-101C decals are for camouflaged birds from Tan Son Nhut, RVNam. It would be especially good to see 1960s era NMF recce jets; and my choice would be 45th TRS Polka Dots from Misawa, and (no surprise here) 66th TRW from Laon and, later, Upper Heyford. It's possible at least the former will come in the future RF-101A boxing.

Maybe Superscale will consider reprinting 72-362 - oh, yes please ! Go on, you know you want to!

Tony

Many thanks for that In-Box review, Jorge!

I am somewhat disappointed but the fault lies mostly with me for my expectations were quite high.

But would I prefer no kit at all over one displaying lacks in some areas (Jorge has hinted at them)?! No.

I shall see that I can grab a deal on one example.

What happened to the photos???

"Bandwith for the month exceeded"

Never happened to me before, my apologies! Hope they will be visible again soon.

In the meantime, I have started construction. I uploaded pictures using another photo uploading account:

http://z15.invisionfree.com/72nd_Aircraft/index.php?showtopic=7486&st=0#entry22282946

Jorge.

Edited by f4h1phantom

Excellent work there, will be useful when my kit arrives. Good to know about the cockpit issues, l have a few True Detail seats ready.

Robert

• 2 months later...