Douglas DC-8 Srs 72F

Jabba

This will be my model for this GB, in that it will be a Douglas DC-8 Srs 72F of the Armee De L'air from the Gulf conflict of 1991 time period. I did find a picture of one of these aircraft in my numerous books, but can I find it now. I will be using a Minicraft DC-8 Srs 73 model with the appropriate modifications plus the markings coming from Fdcal. Anyway some pictures.

Le model.

DC-8%20001_zpsyxf1hlk3.jpg

Les instructions.

DC-8%20002_zpsarnl8kwb.jpg

Le parts.

DC-8%20003_zpsuh2w6fry.jpg

DC-8%20004_zpshjzadqir.jpg

DC-8%20005_zpsc8eoachx.jpg

Les decals dans le model et la canopy.

DC-8%20006_zps99m42tgp.jpg

Le nouveux (?) decals.

DC-8%20007_zpsny8gidk5.jpg

One of the first jobs that I will have to do is cut down the fuselage halves to the correct size. After asking this question on the civil aircraft section quite a while ago I got the answer that I should cut out the sections that I have marked.

DC-8_zps9abqwaid.jpg

I shall hopefully start tonight.

• Like 6

Welcome Jabba, good to see you along for the ride!

Interesting subject this, I'm sure you'll do it your usual justice.

Wez

A quick update, in that the bits that needed chopping out of the fuselage have been chopped out and the fuselage is now all back together again. I managed to do some work on the wings at Hinckley todau and will post piccies later.

DC-8%20009_zpsc1uxzitw.jpg

• Like 4

Hi Jabba,

You have started mightily well.

Unlike Patrice I never flew on these aircraft, but I have seen them many times do touch and go at Evreux air base while I was crawling around in the half-frozen mud... They were impressive to watch and looked good in their un-warlike paint schemes.

Have fun.

JR

Thanks for the kind comments, it is always good to hear from people who have either worked on, flown on or seen the aircraft that I am building, having only seen one from a distance whilst sitting in a gun pit at KKMC in Feb 1991.

A quick update. The fuselage has now been joined together, filled and sanded down. I have also glued the wings together added the wing tips, filled and done all the sanding down. I shall hopefully fit the wings tonight which are a very snug fit, and it does actually say this in the instructions. I have left off the glazed and nose parts from the fuselage, because as the cockpit windows are supplied as decals on the new sheet, I thought that I could build the whole model and then determine the weight to be added before fitting these parts. Anyway some piccies.

The fuselage.

DC-8%20010_zpsqyiqyvfq.jpg

DC-8%20011_zpsekl8t8md.jpg

The wings.

DC-8%20012_zpslmylmpb7.jpg

The wings and fuselage almost together.

DC-8%20013_zpsyvs6uqix.jpg

Edited by Jabba
  • Like 2

Nice start, I don't think I'd be brave enough to hack away like this!

FF

The cut lines were engraved on the inside of the fuselages, and apart from the first cut I made using a saw rather than a scalpel with a curved baled it was resumably fairly simple. The first one I started to go slightly wrong so stopped and used a scalpel, The hard part was getting them all to line up again.

• Like 2

Regardless that there are scribed marks on the inside of the moulding, I'd always worry about getting things square again, but then it should be easy for a tradesman of your calibre!

Bravo for having the courage to do it though, it's an interesting subject.

Wez

Regardless that there are scribed marks on the inside of the moulding, I'd always worry about getting things square again, but then it should be easy for a tradesman of your calibre!

Bravo for having the courage to do it though, it's an interesting subject.

Wez

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I always hated metalwork with a passion. Much easier just changing parts. A slight progress report but with no piccies at the moment. I have built up all the engines and temporarily fitted them to wings, and the tailplanes to the fuselage so that I see how much weight has to be fitted top the nose area. The fit of the engines and tailplane is so good that I will fit them after I have painted them and the rest of the model.

Just a very small update. Although these pictures show the model altogether, it is not quite what it seems. The wings and fuselage are glued together, but the engines and tailplanes are fitted is that I can get the weight correct so that it does not end up a tail sitter. As you can see most of it is a good fit without any glue, apart from the left hand outer engine. Since these photos were taken the canopy and nose parts have been glued on and filled. A little sanding is now required and then to paint.

DC-8%20014_zpsvn7cszye.jpg

DC-8%20015_zpshajlycls.jpg

• Like 5

Thanks for all the kind words. This is a small update of where I am at the moment. I have removed the engines and tailplanes, and then sprayed most of the fuselage, plus the areas where the roundel goes white. I have photocopied the decal sheet and some templates given by Fdcal to be cut out and act as masks whilst I paint the rest of the fuselage and some of the wing area Lt Grey. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what Lt Grey to use, as I am thinking Lt A/C Grey?

Some Photos.

DC-8%20016_zpstljgpobv.jpg

DC-8%20017_zpsuovpibqa.jpg

DC-8%20018_zpsquhddlms.jpg

• Like 1

I am having a spot of trouble at the moment. I have copied the decals several times so that I can cut out the markings required to act as stencils and have spares left over. The decal sheet instructions tell you that when you have the stencils in place to apply a mixture of milk and water (1 part to 2 mix) over the stencil and it will stick to the model. I have done this but the stencils do not stick, and just fall off even if I leave the model flat. The stencils will stick for a few minutes then fall off or lift up at the edges where I have used tape on the upper edges to hold them in place. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I maybe doing wrong, knows a better solution or different method of applying the stencils.

So Jabba, are these stencils decals? Laser printed I assume?

Have you tried Microsol/Microset decal setting solution or similar? Another option would be to use something like Future to help bind them to the paint.

Sorry I have written the wrong thing. I should have said that I have copied the decals onto paper to act as a mask whilst I am painting the grey. The instructions say to make a sloution of milk and water to be put onto this mask and it should stick the mask down, but it has not.