Now that just pops!. i love how you experiment as you go - once I have something I am half way happy with I tend to stick with 'what worked last time' so as not to bugger it up at the last minute.

This Uschi stuff sounds interesting though - and gives a great effect.

• Like 1

Looking great with decals on. Now, since this is NMF, how are you going to desaturate them? :whistle:

Edited by giemme
  • Like 1

I tried to use pastels on the NMF finish, but they had no effect on the Future coated Uschi pigments. In order to de-saturate the transfers, I first had to carefully brush some satin/matt varnish on to them, and then apply the pastels.

Then for the worst part: attaching the exhausts. The Hasegawa kit is designed to have the exhausts attached before the fuselages halves are mated. I thought I'd be clever and apply plasticard backings over the openings early on in construction. This resulted in a couple pieces of plasticard and an exhaust rattling around the fuselage afterwards. Well, after several tries, I got a couple of exhausts on there. I still have one to attach to the DFS 'stang. Wish me luck.

IMG_1782_zpsiemq0mma.jpg

IMG_1786_zps5uhrsacp.jpg

I'm calling the NMF Frankenstang finished. Phew.

• Like 6

That looks definitely brilliant even from a smartphone screen :wow: Can't wait to see it on a proper PC monitor tomorrow ... :Tasty:

Ciao

• Like 1

That is flipping excellent cookie. Your finish and weathering on the metal is something I would love to try and emulate (but will not have much luck with I fear) and the decals just being it all together, there weathering is perfectly subtle. You must be pleased??

Anyway enough of the nice stuff crack on with the stripy one OK!

Rob

• Like 1

Excellent and very interesting!

How strong are these Uschi pigments once they have been Future coated? And can you brush the Future or do you have to spray it?

Whatever, it looks a rather remarkable NMF!

Congrats!
JR

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind comments everyone! I'm so glad that the finish lived up to the promise of the test pieces - beginner's luck can be a blessing and a curse.

JR and Tomoshenko, the Uschi pigments are quite tough in general and can be masked and handled with no problems. They are basically infused with the acrylic layer they are buffed into, and they may even infiltrate the primer layer. The only damage I could do to them was a deep scratch where my tweezers slipped demasking the canopy. But, even here, the damage was to the paint and primer itself (and maybe the plastic - eek, I need duller tweezers), the scratch is still 'shiny'.

The Future coat was really to protect the ink I used to dull down the finish as it washed off very easily with water, even when dry. I've noticed that Future seems to dull Model Master metalizer, and was figuring it would do so here, but I really couldn't tell a difference. I applied it with an airbrush, and it went on just fine, but beaded up on the wings where I had used wax based AK True Metal to simulate aluminum lacquer wear. It still ended up leveling out just fine as it dried. I applied future with a brush to some of the test pieces, and that worked too. You may want to use a separate small container to load your brush though, as some of the metallic pigment ends up in the bristles and could 'contaminate' your Future source.

Rob, I'm off to apply transfers to the stripy one.

• Like 5

Thirded! :clap: FrankenTransferStang (or FrankenDecalStang, depends on which CAWTS lobby you're in)! :wow:

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 1