Inspired by a thread started by our model building hero, Procopius, about combining the Academy and Hasegawa Mustang III kits, I've decided to do just that. And not a moment too soon as the new KP kit is due to arrive any day now.

I had a pair of Academy P-51B/C's in the stash already, and managed to find a bargain Hasegawa Mustang III double boxing. Finding that I had an entire afternoon to spare on Sunday while waiting for Micro-sol to do its work on another build, I got to work. This is an out of the box(es) build with no aftermarket planned, except decals.

IMG_1508_zpsy6muayce.jpg

I'm using the Hasegawa fuselage, but decided on the Academy cockpit, as it seems a little nicer. It fit just fine with a little modification - the modified cockpit floor/radio deck is shown above the original in the pic above.

Attaching the Academy wings was not too difficult. There seems to be some overlap, especially on top, so repeated fitting and sanding was the order of the day.

IMG_1514_zpsugb6ni3x.jpg

IMG_1513_zps40l9cokl.jpg

I hope to do a metal finish on one of the builds. The plan is to use Mr Super Metallic on the wings, and Uschi pigments on the fuselage. With that in mind, I've done some experiments with the Uschi pigments on the now surplus Hasegawa wings and Academy fuselage, in order to see what best base coat is for them.

IMG_1519_zps4hf7qemz.jpg

It looks like it's going to be: primer, MM acrylic gloss Light Aircraft grey, then pigments.

Looks like my experimental phase is still in full effect. Any suggestions are welcome!

• Like 8

Homer - I've been meaning to comment on your Zero. As many have said, your first build after 20 years looks much better than my first build after a similar amount of time away from the hobby.

PC, MG and Rob - thanks, I hope I can replicate the finish on the 'actual' builds. I figure that I'll go for as shiny and clean as possible and then weather it back from there.

Ced - thanks, 'pits are definitely not my specialty.

Mustang No.2 has caught up now:

IMG_1522_zpsqhpr7pd8.jpg

I was planning on building one of these as Jan Zumbach's wing leader bird, but I think they're both going to be 315 Sqn planes now (one still in NMF). I'll save the 'JZ' decals for a KP Mustang.

• Like 4

Those are looking great. I keep seeing threads like this one and try my hardest to resist ripping into a new kit while I have so many on the go. Have a few Hasegawa and Academy kits on hand it will be nice to see how the amalgam of each turns out here.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a tiny update just to show I haven't abandoned these. I've decided to go wheels up since I think they're too far along to attempt to drop the flaps now. I read that P-51 flaps always drooped when parked, and it'll bug me now if didn't drop them and had the gear down. Stupid knowledge, why did I have to go and read?

The Academy wing and Hasegawa fuselage are definitely not designed for wheels up (the tail wheel doors are even molded open on the fuselage). It may have been less work to have just cut off the flaps. Oh well.

IMG_1646_zpsyv6q61hk.jpg

It does make me appreciate the new Airfix kits all the more. They always seem to have a lot of options for the landing and flaps.

• Like 5

I share your pain Cookie and that looks good! Scribed rear doors, nice. They're a pain I find, perhaps just lack of practice.

I always build wheels up as the finished results, so far anyway, go on the ceiling. Let's hope more manufacturers follow Airfix and provide the wheels up option otherwise I (and others) may go made trying to get the doors to fit.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

They're both filled and sanded:

IMG_1671_zpso5g7q6sv.jpg

And the gears are up:

IMG_1672_zpsoyovyc9d.jpg

I realized that I'll need some pilots since the wheels are up, so I raided Airfix Hurricane and Spitfire IX kits.

IMG_1669_zpsk8svt0oi.jpg

They just have a coat of enamel blue-grey as a primer. I'm still hoping that Stew Dapple's Pilot Painting Company opens soon, and then I could just send them off to him.

I've done a little experimenting on how to weather the Uschi pigments. They're pretty resilient.

IMG_1666_zpsmbrgxudp.jpg

• Like 3

I realized that I'll need some pilots since the wheels are up, so I raided Airfix Hurricane and Spitfire IX kits.

IMG_1669_zpsk8svt0oi.jpg

They just have a coat of enamel blue-grey as a primer. I'm still hoping that Stew Dapple's Pilot Painting Company opens soon, and then I could just send them off to him

Seriously? Looks like Little & Large have just signed up...

• Like 2

Oh yeah, I meant to point that out! The little guy is from the Airfix Spitfire IX and the big guy is from the new Airfix Hurricane. The little guy fits in the Hasegawa cockpit, but the big guy might have to wear smaller boots.

Lovley work on the finish, looks like you are getting good results from your tests cookie

I agree with beard above, they look to be from the jet age.

Great to see a move on

Rob

• Like 1

Looking good Cookie! That weathered Uschi looks really good!

The pilots? Well you know my views about Hobbit pilots and it looks like you've got one, but hey, "if the pilot fits". I see what people mean about their helmets and oxygen supply but your call... if you want to get on I'd just go at them with a sharp blade and sand their helmets a bit.

Pleased to have posted without any Dbl-Es for once! What? Where??

• Like 2

Thanks Simon, I may take you up on that.

Thanks Rob and Ced, these have been languishing for too long.

Giemme, the Uschi pigments are pretty neat, I just wish they made an 'aluminum' color. They just come in chrome, steel, and iron. Chrome is what you see here, as it's the lightest, but still very dark. The only way to get anything to stick to them is to varnish them first. The panels closest to the fuselage stripe are varnished in Future/Klear, and those under the canopy are AK Interactive gloss. I then brushed and buffed on some white artist's ink, which really did give it the effect I was looking for.

• Like 2

You're welcome. I think they'd have enjoyed a flight across the Atlantic.

Anyway, your post has inspired me to try the same. I can only hope it goes as well as yours has.

• Like 2

Now I feel bad for denying them the opportunity. I'm excited to hear how your project turns out Simon. It's pretty much plug-and-play. I ended up sanding a little less than a mm off the trailing edge of the Academy wings for them to match up.

Here are the new and improved pilots that I found in a couple Airfix Mustang kits.

IMG_1676_zpsp8oajcua.jpg

Now with a little more paint on them.

IMG_1681_zps6piauiyt.jpg

And, as ready as they'll ever be alongside a partially masked canopy.

IMG_1686_zpsm2k6j9zv.jpg

I'm no Stew Dapple, but I can't run as fast as Usain Bolt either.

I just have to finish masking the canopies, and I can finally get these in the paint shop.

• Like 5