A pair of Airfix Hawks in 1/72. Finished.

Off to the IWM at Duxford tomorrow with my Dad - and then staying over together at a local Hotel. PC's Valiant build has put me in mind to ask him some more about his national service as a radar technician on thevValiant with 7 squadron :)

Please do!

Ok,- it's your fault Col :)

Absolutely the last bits and bobs added to the wheel bays before doing the pipe work (probably) ;) Looking busy enough in there now I think...

Off to the IWM at Duxford tomorrow with my Dad - and then staying over together at a local Hotel. PC's Valiant build has put me in mind to ask him some more about his national service as a radar technician on thevValiant with 7 squadron :)

If it inspires you to do more wonderful work then I'll happily shoulder the blame :) Those bays are of course up to your typically high standards - nice work Steve.

Enjoy IWM and getting time with your dad. Unfortunately my dad's dementia leaves him too confused most of the time to share his experiences in the Fleet Air Arm. Value those tales he tells you this weekend.

• Like 1

Nice bays Steve (no euphemism intended :)) They'll look the dog's when you get the hydraulics and pipe bits in place.

Enjoy Duxford. Went there last year and intended to return this year. Like the idea of a Fritag Valiant build ;)

• Like 2

The bays look great Steve

I hope you enjoy your trip to Duxford.. and the stayover later

I did a stayover at the pub/BnB in the village one year when we bought a ticket for my son (and me he he) to go around as a birthday present

I'd been at a track day at Marham and stayed over in Eastangular rather than drive back again next day

Two very happy visitors that day, I'll tell you. :)

• Like 1

Hi Steve, and Col. too,

I hope you don't mind me taking your thread off on a slight tangent, but something Col said reminded me of some work I did with an old RAF veteran that I really hope you won't mind me sharing. In the real world I am a Rehabilitation Officer Visual Impairment, or in laymans terms, the therapist you really want to be seen by if you start having problems with your eye sight that can't be fixed by glasses.

One of my clients was an old RAF navigator. He had flown on Blenheims from Ceylon during the second World War. He had lost alot of his useful, functional vision to an eye condition called Age Related Macular Degeneration, and he also had Alzheimers disease.

Because of the damage caused by the Alzheimers disease, he wasn't that aware of the issues he had with his vision and couldn't get his head around the kind of assessment I was doing. I'll never forget him telling me during the first meeting we had when I assessed his vision that his memories of his wartime service were clearer than his memories of yesterday, so, I changed my plan of attack. If I couldn't get him to engage with an assessment where it was confusing for him, I would assess him where his memory was at its most lucid.

I use a special chart to map blind spots in someones field of vision. He didn't get it, couldn't figure out what it was for or how it would be useful. So I used some scale drawings of the type of Blenheim he flew, and he could instantly indicate to me the parts of his vision that were affected... Because I knew what he could no longer see, I could help him make the best use of the vision that he had, if you see what I mean.

A tiny little success story for me, but a massive one for him because I got him to do it on his terms, just by being a little creative. I'm sorry to hear about your dad Col, I can really appreciate how hard it must be, I thought you might find this enlightening, or interesting, or something. Sorry for the derail Steve,

Cheers

Viv

• Like 13

Hi Steve, and Col. too,

I hope you don't mind me taking your thread off on a slight tangent, but something Col said reminded me of some work I did with an old RAF veteran that I really hope you won't mind me sharing. In the real world I am a Rehabilitation Officer Visual Impairment, or in laymans terms, the therapist you really want to be seen by if you start having problems with your eye sight that can't be fixed by glasses.

One of my clients was an old RAF navigator. He had flown on Blenheims from Ceylon during the second World War. He had lost alot of his useful, functional vision to an eye condition called Age Related Macular Degeneration, and he also had Alzheimers disease.

Because of the damage caused by the Alzheimers disease, he wasn't that aware of the issues he had with his vision and couldn't get his head around the kind of assessment I was doing. I'll never forget him telling me during the first meeting we had when I assessed his vision that his memories of his wartime service were clearer than his memories of yesterday, so, I changed my plan of attack. If I couldn't get him to engage with an assessment where it was confusing for him, I would assess him where his memory was at its most lucid.

I use a special chart to map blind spots in someones field of vision. He didn't get it, couldn't figure out what it was for or how it would be useful. So I used some scale drawings of the type of Blenheim he flew, and he could instantly indicate to me the parts of his vision that were affected... Because I knew what he could no longer see, I could help him make the best use of the vision that he had, if you see what I mean.

A tiny little success story for me, but a massive one for him because I got him to do it on his terms, just by being a little creative. I'm sorry to hear about your dad Col, I can really appreciate how hard it must be, I thought you might find this enlightening, or interesting, or something. Sorry for the derail Steve,

Cheers

Viv

What a wonderful story Viv. Thank you for sharing it and well done on having the presence of mind to help your client cope with the stressful situation in such an inventive manner.

• Like 2

That aint a derail Viv, that is a blooming good reassignment while we wait for Steve to do more of his detailisation work

It was a great way of using YOUR knowledge to help a chap who didnt realise his own problems

Well done mate

I hope you get to help me when I get that far down the familiar trail that opens as you get more worn out

(signed perdu doddery OAP of the West Midlands)

• Like 1

Just been reading about PC's lousy day over on his Valiant thread. Now I can't claim anything as generally stressful as new parenthood compounded by a cr*p day at work all rounded off by losing my wallet....

But if it's any consolation to PC I did take a major wrong turn with the Hawks which caused a whole bunch of aggravation.....

I had a great time at Duxford on Saturday with my Dad and when I got home on Sunday I thought I'd crack on with the Hawks. I was stupidly anxious to get the u/c bays painted so's I could stick in the various pipes with lead wire and I tried to take a short cut by using rattle cans rather than an airbrush.

To cut an unedifying story short - after rattle-can layers of primer, white and semi gloss varnish - the paint was laying so thickly that the detail was softened horribly and the finish was awful.......

I half closed my eyes and tried a few washes to see if I could hide the awfulness - but it was doomed.........

So the various bits spent much of the intervening time in a bath of Dettol in an effort to remove the paint and salvage the plastic:

IMG_4281_zpsmq9vcqlt.jpg

It don't half smell strong - and I'm not sure Mrs F believed my explanation as to why the garage and I have been smelling of disinfectant for two days.

Anyways - last night they came out out of their bath and had a gentle scrub with an old paint brush - and thankfully I'm now back where I was before the weekend without any damage done:

IMG_0060_zpsh8ly3zcx.jpg

Such is the relief it almost feels like progress......

The daft thing is - I know from earlier usage that rattle cans just don't spray fine enough or controllably enough for this sort of thing and can often be a short cut to a long detour - so I dunno why I did it again :) Just dumb I think......

Better dust off the airbrush.......

PS. I heard much from my old man about the foibles of the V bomber Navigation and Bombing System (NBS) in the late 50's - which I was kinda surprised to hear still incorporated systems that originated in WW2, including an H2S ground mapping radar and Gee. Anyways he reckoned he had 13 or so individual avionics boxes, the largest of which was the size of a dustbin, to take care of in the Valiant and which in the pre silicone chip and even pre transistor era were stuffed with valves (aka vacuum tubes) and so were notoriously unreliable.

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 10

The daft thing is - I know from earlier usage that rattle cans just don't spray fine enough or controllably enough for this sort of thing and can often be a short cut to a long detour - so I dunno why I did it again :) Just dumb I think......

I'm the same, never learn!

Although I have today learnt that Dettol removes rattle can paint, never knewed anyfink about that before. I've got a large tupperware box full of now multicolour brake fluid that has served for years as my paint removal bath. It could do with renewing, & I should think that Dettol will be a lot cheaper to refill it with...

• Like 1

Better dust off the airbrush.......

Never heard about decanting rattle can paints? :whistle::devil:

Sorry, cheap shot. :oops: On a serious note, I find very useful decanting spray paint especially for metallics: the finish is very strong once cured, but through the airbrush the application is so much more controllable.

On a less serious note: we posted an update to our respective WIP threads almost at the same time ...

Ciao

well, realization is a kind of progress isn't it

Not for me alas, Hendie. I'm a total airhead, I never learn...

Good recovery Steve, Dettol is great stuff and your Hawk will have the cleanest smelling undercarriage bays of them all!

Cheers,

Viv

• Like 2

Good save Steve...must admit I don't use rattle cans for priming small models, it's OK for the big stuff where you have easy access to sand and Micro mesh it back but into detailed areas, not such a great idea, ( but you already knew that !). Personally I prefer to airbrush Alclad's grey Microfiller/ primer, so much easier and less messy......mind you we all suffer from brain fade at some point....

Glad you had a good day at Duxford, be interesting to hear what your Dad had to say about the old Valiant...not surprising that the tech was very much WW II as it wasn't designed that long after. Those tubs got awful hot !....which didn't exactly help the reliability. (Arranging a tour of the Valiant cockpit with Matt up at the HAM in Inverness...thanks for the heads up !).

Well - matters are now back to where they should have been last Sunday......

Realization having occurred. Brain fade recovered from. And undercarriage bays smelling clean and dettol fresh :)

Decanted some Tamiya grey primer and airbrushed it (take note Georgio !), then some Revell Acrylic white thin enough to leave slightly grey cast - don't want it too bright - and then some Klear to protect em for an oil wash.

Wot a waste of a few days.....

d59b417bde4cd82cf67813ed8cb88451_zpsjkca

• Like 7

Huh! That wasnt a waste of time

It was temporary alteration of the painting process in order to ascertain whether it was a 'future feasible' procedure of course

And to be honest your reappraisal has made for a lovely look to the inner wells, maybe a dettolisation is the way for all of us

All the build crud has gone far far away

:)

Wells do look rather nice mate

• Like 2

Glad you got away with those wheel bays! Short cuts are never a good idea, in spite of which we all keep trying them with the same predictable results, so don't feel bad you got caught out as well. You in a very large and distinguished company!

Martin

• Like 1

Decanted some Tamiya grey primer and airbrushed it (take note Georgio !),

:D :D :D

Wheel bays now looking great! :clap: Was trying to figure out what Dettol exactly is, as googling it brings up a whole bunch of detergents under that brand name. I think I got the sense, anyway :banghead:

Ciao