Acrylic remover....

Riggers

FWIW I have now bought some Biostrip and it does indeed remove Halfords primer. I haven't tried it on any other Halfords paint and as I mentioned in my earlier post their website says it's not suitable for bicycle/automotive paint.

Perhaps it's stating the obvious to point out that car paint is meant to be tough and withstand things like road salt, fuel spillages, tar spots and other forms of abuse. It's hardly surprising that stuff like Fairy Powerspray has no effect. In fact I'd worry if it was easy to remove - if you accidentally spilled some Fairy Powerspray on your car would you really expect it to take the paint off?

A modelling colleague who has been using Halfords paint a lot longer than me is of the view that sanding is the only answer.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I've found soaking in neat dettol gets most paints off. Usually soak for 24-48 hours, but sometimes takes a big longer. A quick scrub with a toothbrush, to remove stubborn bits in crevices, rinse off and jobs a good 'un.

• 2 weeks later...

I just tested the Revell Paint Remover on some old paints. Also a messed up Silver finish which I suppose was no enamel paint (I guess it was some automotive spray but can be mistaken). The paint was removed easily and quickly. Clear parts are not damaged. So far it looks very good. But I have yet to test it on some proven automotive paint.

Rene

If you use Fairy power spray, I am not sure how you use it, but if you spray the model all over and leave in a sealed bag for 24 hrs it should take the paint off, but you may also need to use an old toothbrush or something similar to scrub the paint off in soapy water

Due to Health and Safety and EEC ruling, most brake fluids now have had harmful ingredients replaced with more "eco friendlier" ingredient's.......basically they have removed the paint stripper............also; Original Caustic Soda has been removed from Super Market shelves for exactly the same reason and replaced with allegedly more eco friendly products.............its still called Caustic Soda and its still called Brake fluid, but all now lack the potential to strip paint.................HOWEVER, my local hardware store still sells the original and its easily available on ebay.....................make sure you add the crystals to the water first and NOT the other way around and beware of the fumes from the vapour!!! Check out your local hardware store and Ebay

• Like 1

Mr Muscle Oven cleaner has also suffered by being weaker than it was. It used to be great for stripping enamel paints but now seems to take forever!! But it don't do anything to Acrylics! I'm in the process of stripping enamel from my Heller CL-215 built quite a long time ago. But Mr Muscle hardly touched it! Funny thing is the red painted areas has come off and some traces of the yellow paint but I don't recall type of paint but it was well before Acrylics appeared in our hobby! And I don't want to sand it off because I rather like the surface detail and rivets!

I have tried nail varnish remover which is Acetone free because acetone will attack plastic with some success but again only on the red paint. I recall the red may have been that Gloy stuff from the 80's and the Yellow good ole' original UK made Humbrol!!!

I have got some of that Tesco stuff in the cheap blue striped white bottle. Dunked the engine cowls into the lid and left them for ages... result... zilch...only the red paint shifted! seems nothing will touch the yellow.

Hi Riggers as per another post here, Acetone free nail polish remover works a treat even with metallic paints without harming the base plastic, I used cotton wool balls to apply and remove.

Have used this on a number of kits I bought already painted, stripped to bare plastic, these include a badly painted vinyl predator figure done in metallic paint, a resin French bathyscaphe and the hull halves of a type VII 1/72 u boat.

All the best Chris

Hi all,

Thanks so much for all your contributions, some even surprising!

Just to let you know, I contacted Revell & told them I was a numpty & screwed up! They very kindly sent a new taxi body with absolutely no charge!

If you are from Revell & reading this, can I thank you so much. Also say to other BM'ers, please do talk to manufacturers' Customer Services if you make a balls up...Revell are the top of the tree IMHO.

Thanks again to everyone who has contributed in this post.........ATB

• Like 2

Currently messed up a couple of airfix spitfires, first a mk9 that i ruined painting dday stripes on in gloss, then painted camo over, the 2nd a mkv that the canopy didn't fit and messed up painting over badly sanded filler, so what gets xtracrylix off, and in the case of the former Revell aqua gloss off

I'm amazed nobody has said cellulose thinners? I use the Rustins stuff and buy it in huge metal containers for about £13 a pop. It's my most used product to be honest; nothing cleans airbrushes as well as cellulose thinners.

I've yet to come across something it can't shift.

I'm amazed nobody has said cellulose thinners? I use the Rustins stuff and buy it in huge metal containers for about £13 a pop. It's my most used product to be honest; nothing cleans airbrushes as well as cellulose thinners.

I've yet to come across something it can't shift.

Do you use it to strip paint from plastic?

Yes, it will melt plastic slightly but not if you're careful - a cotton bud dipped in an the excess dabbed off on kitchen roll and you're fine, just sweep quickly.

Alternatively, Mr Color (Levelling) Thiner is also cellulose thinner based and doesn't melt plastic whatsoever.

If all else fails, you can use Methyl Ethyl Ketone.

Edited by Jakey

How about trying paint and varnish stripper?

Available in BnQ for about £3/500ml

Took off all paint on my model, never damaged plastic. Used only a small amount; so vgfm. Took about 10 -15 minutes to do a 1/72 smallish jet.

1d45b5e54dcad812169ce30fc91ff266.jpg

... or start sanding as I suggested a long time ago

Or just send an email to the model manufacturer, explaining that you're a numpty & asking very nicely for a replacement part. They did FOC!

Then, more importantly, learn from your mistake & NEVER do it again!!

ATB

• Like 1

Update fairy power spray most definetly works, put it in a Tupperware bath of it and forgot about it over the weekend, opened it up expecting it to be stripped bare, alas it want but soon as I started scrubbing it all came away easy 10 mins was back to the halfords primer, with some of that stripped off in large areas