SAAF Hawk Airfix 1/48 - My comeback build

I hadn't built a model in nearly 2 years so when the bug bit again I thought I'd start with a nice easy kit to get the juices flowing properly. Big mistake choosing this one. Between Airfix and myself, it was nightmare from start to finish.

Pretty much straight from the box, with the addition of tape seatbelts and a needle for the nose (which is a slide in and out job so appears skew in the front on pic - sorry!). I'm glad it's done !! Anything from here on in should be a cake walk :D

Painted with Humbrol acrylics, weathered with my wifes eye shadow :-$

IMG_5877.jpg

IMG_5895.jpg

IMG_5894.jpg

IMG_5893.jpg

IMG_5892.jpg

IMG_5891.jpg

IMG_5890.jpg

IMG_5889.jpg

IMG_5888.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

• Like 12

Thanks for the kind words gents. It makes the frustration feel like it was worth it!

Anthony, The list of issues I had with this build is long. A lot of those were my own doing it must be said so I won't bore you with the details.

Airfix will have to shoulder the blame for shoddy instructions in certain places (front wheel well/cockpit join, or lack thereof.. Also some parts are incorrectly numbered, vague instructions in places) , as well as the general quality of the moulding. Lots of tedious filling, sanding and rescribing. The decals included in my kit were the worst I've ever worked with - thick, glossy things that wouldn't adhere or conform to the kit. I left a lot of them off and the few I have on the kit took the best part of 3 days and around 8-10 applications of MicroSol to look passable.

I think it just wasn't what I wanted from an 'easy' build and that probably magnified my frustration! I kept storming out of my man cave, heading to the internet for validation and finding hardly any, so perhaps it was mostly me - a combination of rusty skills and and a slightly dissapointing kit.