Apollo Crawler at 1/72 scale

Hello Rich,

Holy cow! This side looks darned cool, :yikes: and now also still the other side ... :Tasty:
BTW, you can in between occasionally turn on the lighting once more. gut.gif
Come on my friend, the show must go on. up040577.gif

Crikey... I'm going to miss this build when you move on to the next one. Such attention to detail, and incredible perseverance. I shall save the real "bravo" for when you call it finished, but, bravo!!!

Bravo to you John, for sticking around and watching this. Thanks

SIMPLY BLOWN AWAY BY THE ENGINEERING HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOW ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, WOW ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, WOW

Nigel

Nigel, if you have been around for a while, you know that the engineering here was done by Mischa klement (Cyana). Take a look at Microartwork.com. You'll see why I had to build this.

I have been utterly stunned at the dedication of this build, the quality is simply outstanding and ALL SCRATCH BUILT, I doff my cap sir (or as we say in Yorkshire: 'loody 'ell fire that's crackin')!

Smeg, I have already started with the next build. Not quite as ambitious, only about 10,000 parts. Maybe I should build something easier, a chicken soup machine say...Thanks

Awesome! :worthy:

I can't wait to see it all lit up.....This is one of the coolest projects I've ever followed and I'm not even a particular fan of 'real-space' models. :coolio:

Thanks Sarge.

I said it before and I'll say it again.... this is f - f - f - f u - f u - f u - funomenal !!!!!

Things are choppin' smoothly around here Hendie...Thanks

This is so cool, it´s one of the best scratch building I have ever seen!

Thanks for checking back from time to time. New scratch build started, watch for it...

Epic!

Thank You.

great to see pics showing the whole thing . :ninja:

It just keeps getting bigger, soon the whole thing wont fit in the picture. Thanks.

Spectacular! All the effort was completely worth it Rich, it's looking ubertastic!

Thanks Mati, and I haven't even started the weathering yet.

• Like 1

To many quotes...

Hello Rich,

Holy cow! This side looks darned cool, :yikes: and now also still the other side ... :Tasty:
BTW, you can in between occasionally turn on the lighting once more. gut.gif
Come on my friend, the show must go on. up040577.gif

Hey Manfred, this thing looks cool in person too. I have something for you...

IMG_1682_zps4hczuvtc.jpg

I haven't looked in at this build for a couple of months - it's looking great. Keep it up.

Check back soon, almost finished...Thanks

Absolutely incredible work there, looks fantastic.

Would like to see a photo with something along side to indicate the scale of this beast!

Thank You, and here's to you...my 1/35 British Quad Tractor..

IMG_1683_zpsnmapqttc.jpg

Great work Rich, it's coming togehter very well. Congrats.

Colin

Hey Colin, long time reader...nice to read from you again, Thanks.

Thanks All

• Like 8

Rich.

It wasn't until the fourth picture that

I realized I was looking at the model!

Fabulous as always.

Thanks Pete, you know how to flatter a guy.

Wow & thanks once again.....It's absolutely filled to the brim with awesome! :thumbsup:

You really should get some 1/72 vehicles and figures to place around it.....They would give a true sense of its humongousness in photos! :winkgrin:

PS - The cab looks amazing, the lighting is just right! :coolio:

Gordon, This is already a kit. I have used the patterns that Mischa Klement has produced at Microartwork.com for the 1/96 NASA Crawler paper kit. I have enlarged the patterns for a 1/72 scale build. I have attempted to build this kit in the past, I started the 1/96 paper kit, I built the kit all the way up to the walkway section before I had to start over because the paper kit didn't stay together for me. I decided to rebuild in a scale that was easier for me to see and build with a material that is much more permanent.

Gordon, This is already a kit. I have used the patterns that Mischa Klement has produced at Microartwork.com for the 1/96 NASA Crawler paper kit. I have enlarged the patterns for a 1/72 scale build. I have attempted to build this kit in the past, I started the 1/96 paper kit, I built the kit all the way up to the walkway section before I had to start over because the paper kit didn't stay together for me. I decided to rebuild in a scale that was easier for me to see and build with a material that is much more permanent.

If I have understood you correctly, everyone like you, who has bought an original Paper Kit (1:96) by Mischa Klement, can order and buy the whole modified set of templates at an additional cost, right? :hmmm:

But the nice 456 crawler treads everybody must make himself naturally. up040577.gif

James P, I had some 1/72 figures floating around here somewhere. I dropped them, and now there is no chance of finding them. I was thinking of railroad figures for this. Maybe even a sani-can on the walkway because the WC is not working. We'll see.

This is correct Manfred. Everyone who has purchased the original paper kit, has the option of purchasing the outline files to build a custom project, like mine. With the outline files a person can enlarge or reduce to any size and build out of any material. But, you still have to deal with the treads and tracks.

Hey All,

Just touching base today, and to ask a question. I have had a curious phenomenon happen to me, and I was wondering how this happens to others, and how to "avoid" this in the future, if possible. All of this is just a silly rhetorical question, that got me thinking about why this happens.

My story is like a lot of people, that after 40 years I decided to get back into model building. While I have been working on the Crawler build, I have been gathering tools, a work space, supplies...etc. Also I have been building a stash of box kits and supplies for a diorama. A short while ago I said that I had about two weeks left on the build and I posted the photos of the finished side.

The next day it hit me, the dreaded "New Model Syndrome". Before I knew what had happened, I "woke up" yesterday and realized that I have not worked on the crawler build in two weeks, and a wave of guilt about not working on it took over. After two and a half years on this build I have been looking at my other kits and holding off on ideas about this and that, and collecting all my AM stuff for the boxes. The ending of this build just sort of got away from me and I have been caught up in getting things ready for the new builds.

I was wondering this...is this just the excitement of starting a new project, or is this a psychological thing to hang on to the last of the build and not let go of it after so long, or is it boredom with the "old" project, or...

I was thinking of how many others go through this, and what up with that?

Thanks, Rich

• Like 1

Hey All,

Just touching base today, and to ask a question. I have had a curious phenomenon happen to me, and I was wondering how this happens to others, and how to "avoid" this in the future, if possible. All of this is just a silly rhetorical question, that got me thinking about why this happens.

My story is like a lot of people, that after 40 years I decided to get back into model building. While I have been working on the Crawler build, I have been gathering tools, a work space, supplies...etc. Also I have been building a stash of box kits and supplies for a diorama. A short while ago I said that I had about two weeks left on the build and I posted the photos of the finished side.

The next day it hit me, the dreaded "New Model Syndrome". Before I knew what had happened, I "woke up" yesterday and realized that I have not worked on the crawler build in two weeks, and a wave of guilt about not working on it took over. After two and a half years on this build I have been looking at my other kits and holding off on ideas about this and that, and collecting all my AM stuff for the boxes. The ending of this build just sort of got away from me and I have been caught up in getting things ready for the new builds.

I was wondering this...is this just the excitement of starting a new project, or is this a psychological thing to hang on to the last of the build and not let go of it after so long, or is it boredom with the "old" project, or...

I was thinking of how many others go through this, and what up with that?

Thanks, Rich

The solution is quite simple. Pick a simple kit and build it out-of-the-box. But before starting it, just carefully pack the crawler plus any remaining unfinished items and mail it to me. I'll deal with it. :evil_laugh:

Edited by Space Ranger
  • Like 3

That happens to me all the time with models. It think it has something to do with me having the attention span of a flea, or a three year-old child. I just go from one shiney new object to the next. When I finally finish a model, it seems more by happenstance than design. By the way Rich, that model is amazing!

Best Regards,

Jason

• Like 2

An incredible piece of workmanship and modelling! Is it the multi-launch platform, umbilical tower or Apollo 14 itself next? :winkgrin:

following a logical step, I should build the MLP next, then the LUT.

Mischa Klement is the designer of this kit, and has also designed the MLP,LUT combo as the next part of this kit. As I understand, the MLP,LUT combo is just about ready to be released to build. I'm still struggling with the idea of scale. 1/96 is so small, it's hard to see. 1/72, I think, will make the rocket and tower to tall for my house.

All at a later time, I have started two threads of new builds, so plenty to do for a while.

The solution is quite simple. Pick a simple kit and build it out-of-the-box. But before starting it, just carefully pack the crawler plus any remaining unfinished items and mail it to me. I'll deal with it. :evil_laugh:

Thanks Space Ranger!! that was funny.

• Like 2

This is why we all have a stash - when we get bored with one model we can put it to one side and start something else. The problem is that a half-built model takes up much more room than an untouched one still in its box so this excuse may not work too well with the other half.

• Like 1

following a logical step, I should build the MLP next, then the LUT.

And what about the Mobile Service Structure - the tower seen here to the right of the Saturn V?

800px_Saturn_V_and_service_structures.jp

• Like 1