Apollo Crawler at 1/72 scale

I had to sign a release to participate in the show. No one is responsible for anything. I have no way to make any claim of any kind. all at my own risk.  I did feel a little uneasy when I checked in and they wouldn't let me place the model, or even take it out of the travel container. Like I said before, I have never participated in a model show, so I was unaware of how things should proceed.  Live and Learn.  I think I'll just keep future models to my self with no more shows and post the build here.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, RichO said:

I had to sign a release to participate in the show. No one is responsible for anything. I have no way to make any claim of any kind. all at my own risk.  I did feel a little uneasy when I checked in and they wouldn't let me place the model, or even take it out of the travel container. Like I said before, I have never participated in a model show, so I was unaware of how things should proceed.  Live and Learn.  I think I'll just keep future models to my self with no more shows and post the build here.

Where was this show? Who sponsored it? It doesn't sound like any model show I've ever been involved with, certainly not an IPMS show.

On 27/09/2016 at 7:42 PM, RichO said:

Hey All,

I picked up the Crawler build from the show this morning. I have never participated in a model show before, so I was really surprised when I was told that the judges had picked up the Crawler and turned it up side down , rotated it around and...knocked off antanas knocked the walkway loose, poped out the steering arms.

I don't think I will do an other model show. I have about a weeks worth of work to restore back before I post to Ready for Inspection.

I'll be back in a few days with the Crawler build in the ready for inspection section.

Thanks All, Rich

Seriously.....What a total bunch of muppets!  Haven't they heard of dental mirrors and penlight torches?  :doh:

I'm with Pin here, nearly 30 months of your superb work trashed by complete amateurs who are patently ill-equipped for the task that they have appointed themselves.....We need to name and shame these morons before they wreck any more world class models.  :rolleyes:

Give us the details and we'll shred 'em!  :fight:

This was a state sponsored show. I live in Washington state USA, and at this point I really don't care. There is nothing I can do about it but fix the injuries and move on. I got the model home, and with a little work it will be back to normal. Right now that's all I care about. I had a wonderful time building it, and, with a little hick up at the end, I have had the build of a lifetime and a lot of fun rendering this beast. The damage is actually minor, just annoying. I'm not going to lose any sleep over this. I was a little miffed at first, but now I'll fix the issues, post to RFI, and keep building the other two projects I have going here.

I thank everyone for being so concerned. Next time I'll make sure it is a IPMS show and no touching!

Thanks Everyone.

• Like 3

I'm appalled to hear this Rich - I would NEVER put my model into a show with these restrictions, thats just not acceptable.

I've put my models into many show comps over the years and never had an issue - not like this anyway. In most cases you can put on the entry form instructions on what can be done with the model and turning it upside down unless its an aircraft is a no-no!

Don't be put off ALL shows, just make sure that anyone who makes these sorts of demands get told where to get off, that is totally unreasonable.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Pin said:

Was it a dedicated scale modelling show or just something like "we got talents"?

I really doubt that something like this could happen in, say, Telford SMW 

I'm guessing it was a state or county fair. Virtually all of them have an "Arts and Crafts" category, and many have a sub-category/class for models. Our State Fair of Texas, which begins this weekend and runs for nearly three weeks, has such a sub-category. Judges at such fairs tend to be more familiar with knitting and needlepoint and cakes and pies than scale models.

In the past, I once entered models in the county fair where I lived (there was no IPMS chapter there in those days), and suffered some breakage (to the models, not myself). That was the first and only time I've entered models in a competition not run by and for plastic models, where the judges understand their fragility and appreciate the craftsmanship that goes into them.

• Like 1

Space Ranger,

You have hit the nail directly on the head!  I did not attend the showing, so I can only guess, however when I dropped the model off at the show there was a lot of doll houses, cakes and pies and such. I did know that the show was to be a month long, and nearly 1.5 million people went through the show, so getting lost in the crowd was quite easy as to displays.

Like I said, I have never participated in any model shows, so I did not know what to expect. I have the experience of this show under my belt now and know what to steer clear of in the future.

• Like 2

Sadly (if this show was anything like the ones this side of the pond) you will probably find that the winner was in some way "known" to the judges.

Beautiful build and admirable sang froid given that I'd have been trying to find names and addresses and getting a quotation from a hit man!

• Like 2

Hey Rich,

Damn, that's really bad luck, that your second crawler has been damaged too.  up043952.gif

Do you have some pictures of the crawler at the exhibition?  hmmm.gif

Cheer up my friend, life goes on.  up040577.gif

Thanks Manfred,  I had a friend send a photo but it did not show up above.  It was the same crawler, just behind glass.

OK EVERYBODY,  I'M OFFICIALLY  CLOSING THIS WIP.  EVERYBODY OVER TO 'READY FOR INSPECTION'.

THANKS FOR FOLLOWING ALONG!!!

RichO

• Like 1

On 9/27/2016 at 11:42 AM, RichO said:

Hey All,

I picked up the Crawler build from the show this morning. I have never participated in a model show before, so I was really surprised when I was told that the judges had picked up the Crawler and turned it up side down , rotated it around and...knocked off antanas knocked the walkway loose, poped out the steering arms.

I don't think I will do an other model show. I have about a weeks worth of work to restore back before I post to Ready for Inspection.

I'll be back in a few days with the Crawler build in the ready for inspection section.

Thanks All, Rich

I have never, but never heard of a show where the judges do that.  They need to be named and shamed. That's totally unprofessional conduct on the part of the judges and the show organisers who allowed them to molest your model.

Most contests I've been at have had large DO NOT TOUCH THE MODELS signs all over the place, and the judges are not exempt, which is why jokes about the "dental mirror brigade" abound.

I am utterly devastated and disappointed for you. You ought to write an open letter to the club who put on the show explaining why you will never recommend any of your acquaintances to attend or compete in their show.

I'm wondering now whether a judge was a little biased and tried to sabotage your entry...

• Like 2