Karel Doorman The Last Cruise, Grumman S-2A Tracker and SH-34 Helicopter

On 5/12/2017 at 6:09 PM, hendie said:

remarkable amount of detailing there Martian.  it makes my Wessex look like a weekend build !

I was just thinking that about mine :) Lovely job Marti(a)n.

W

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TheBaron said:

I'm in a dilemma here of the most pleasurable kind: whether to remain beguiled by the latter painting stages here or to hop back to/where I was in the earlier construction phase. This is such fine stuff Martian!

Tony

Thanks Tony, there is no reason why you shouldn't do both. Either will have the same effect; sending you to sleep!

9 hours ago, perdu said:

Close examination of the pedals, (trust me I have) shows there are links to hydraulic brake master cylinders quite a bit like the ones in my Midget.

So they put MG parts on these things, now that really is a "sensible" idea! *

9 hours ago, HomerJ_757 said:

That fizzy stuff' get you every time!

Ah, I see; so it wasn't the eleven pints then! I should have stayed on the beer!

7 hours ago, Scooby said:

I have a TR7 too, except my Canadian TR7 has the steering wheel on the correct side.

No it isn't!

7 hours ago, shark 64 said:

this rocks for me. so cool.

Thanks Oliver.

6 hours ago, Will Vale said:

I was just thinking that about mine :) Lovely job Marti(a)n.

W

Yours will be fine Will, you don't have to go silly like I have. In fact, I would recommend that you don't!

Martian 

*  The TR7 Driver

• Like 2

On 5/13/2017 at 0:22 AM, Martian Hale said:

This post would have been made a few days ago had not a problem with the kit reared it's ugly head. I went to offer up the ducting assembly to the top of the engine mount and discovered that it was several mm too short. The consequent lengthening of the part resulted in loss of detail on it which then had to be scratch built. Anyhow, the part now fits, has been painted and attached to the model. It looks way too shiny at the moment due to the nature of the Gunze paints I have been using but this will all sort itelf out when the whole of the interior gets a coat of matt varnish to even things out.

I also got the black boxes associated with the sonar fit glued into place along with the battery mounting. As much wiring as is possible before the final buttoning up of the fuselage has been added. I still have to make the relevant boxes for the equipment rack that sits just inside the cabin door. I did make some a while back but made the fatal mistake of putting them in a "safe place"! :doh: Will I never learn?

Next up I shall be finishing the flight deck and attending to the cabin windows.

Thanks for looking

Martian

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Holy excrement Batman thats rather flash!

Well done you

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Yours will be fine Will, you don't have to go silly like I have.

I finished mine a couple of years ago, with only minimal silliness, this path looks much more exciting though!

Will

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Will Vale said:

I finished mine a couple of years ago, with only minimal silliness, this path looks much more exciting though!

Will

Well, I obviously find it so, although it does have a downside in that it takes ages t complete a model. Believe it or not I rather envy those who can complete a model straight from the box.

2 hours ago, NAVY870 said:

Holy excrement Batman thats rather flash!

Well done you

Thanks Steve, glad that you like it.

Martian

• Like 1

Completely amazed by all this wonderful stuff. Were it not for the background I'd easily get the sense I was looking at pictures of a restoration project of the real thing!

Jay

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mountain goat said:

Completely amazed by all this wonderful stuff. Were it not for the background I'd easily get the sense I was looking at pictures of a restoration project of the real thing!

Jay

I don't think its anything like that good but thanks anyway.

Martian the Embarrassed :blush:

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

Meanwhile back on p.23...

You seem to know what you're doing. 

Its a very long time since anyone said that about this alien!

Martian

• Like 1

On ‎01‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 14:54, perdu said:

Where do you put the batteries?

This is going to fly isnt it, blooooomin' lovely stuff Martian, me old alien

I'm looking forward to seeing it at Telford

Hello dears,

Me too, that will be a good reason for my first ever SMW !

I'll not share any gator pukin' blue but another kind of hydraulic fluid. Like Guiness or Murphy's.

Very nice job goin'on dear Alien.

There is life on Mars !

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 1

On 07/05/2017 at 2:31 PM, Martian Hale said:

Martian, you said

"Next up I need to prime some more interior parts and I have to begin making wiring looms. We will then see if my grand idea for making a more realistic loom is pants or not! "

On 07/05/2017 at 2:31 PM, Martian Hale said:

43_zps8iuk5kam.jpg

looking at the wiring loom  behind the model, you need a bigger model.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello dears,

Me too, that will be a good reason for my first ever SMW !

I'll not share any gator pukin' blue but another kind of hydraulic fluid. Like Guiness or Murphy's.

Very nice job goin'on dear Alien.

There is life on Mars !

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

Well, "its life but not as we now it Jim".

Thanks Corsaircorp.

Martian (with apologies to Mr Spock)

• Like 1

Another of those rather unsatisfactory posts where a great many hours have gone into the model for seemingly little effect. I have continued with working on the light and shade in the cabin area and I guess that is where most of the hours put in have gone. More visible are the netting that covers the access to the rear fuselage, that was a bit of a pig to do and I have painted up and fitted the rudder pedals. Some photo-etch action saw the last of the Eduard detail parts added to the flight deck.

I think that I need to be getting the cabin windows sorted out next and possibly the main canopy interior as well.

Sorry for a post somewhat lacking in "bling" but thanks for looking anyway.

Martian

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nigel Heath said:

That's not lacking in  bling, that interior looks amazing.

Thanks Nigel, I am quite pleased with the way it is going.

49 minutes ago, 71chally said:

Superb attention to detail, and cleanly executed, very nice!

Thanks Chally

30 minutes ago, longshanks said:

Looking good Martian, the shading is bringing it to life. Interesting technique

Kev

Cheers Kev. In full daylight the highlighting looks overdone but as light striking the details decreases, the starkness diminishes and the details pop out in the gloom of the interior which is exactly the effect I have been looking for for years. The main drawbacks are that it takes ages to do and that in the early stages everything looks a complete mess. Once the base colour is down however, I have found it quite therapeutic going over all the details wth a hairy stick.

Martian

• Like 1

It's the fiddly/small insignificant bits that count Martin, she's looking particilarly good. All that detail work is begining to pay off. Good to see you back on this build.

Colin

• Like 1

4 hours ago, heloman1 said:

It's the fiddly/small insignificant bits that count Martin, she's looking particilarly good. All that detail work is begining to pay off. Good to see you back on this build.

Colin

Thanks Colin, I have been enjoying rather, which I suppose is the most important thing. MVS duties have rather got in the way over the last few days but I do have couple of free days coming up so hopefully I can have another update ready very soon. I will be glad when I can find some time to crack on with the Tracker. However, getting stuff ready for Telford has to take priority at the moment.

Martian 

After ages thinking about it, I finally got around to testing if my idea for producing better looking wiring looms than just twisting some wire together worked or not. Fortunately it did as I did not really have a plan B. This is also a great relief as I can use it on the Tracker which has a shed load more wiring on view.

The way I went about things was as follows:

I began by pre-colouring some fishing line of the required thickness (in this case 5.6lb breaking strain) with a permanent marker of the desired colour. In this case it was white. When dry as many strands as needed were glued into a socket on the electrical junction box on the forward bulkhead of the transmission deck. These were then held together with small slivers of Albion Alloys aluminium tubing which had been slid over the wires and held in place with a small dab of CA glue. The loom was then connected to the desired piece of equipment with wires branching off from the loom where required; pretty much as happens in real life.

This all sounds a bit complicated I know and it was indeed a bit fiddly at first. However the process rapidly became easier as I became used to it. I also found that the idea worked well for piping, I used 12lb line coloured black for this. The process will now be used for the wiring on the engine.

Hopefully this idea will be of some use to the denizens of this forum and as always, thanks for looking in.

Martian

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 6

Martian,

What a simple, neat and highly effective method of representing pipework!

All looking good on the gearbox, too.

And the last photo shows some impressive detail in that (very pristine looking) cockpit. 

Edited by Whofan
Correction
  • Like 1

Thanks Whofan. What is not so impressive is that the lap straps on the port set came away and seem to have been irrevocably swallowed by the carpet monster, necessitating in the purchase of a new Eduard interior set. They will of course reappear the minute the replacements are glued in place.

Martian the Slightly Miffed

• Like 1

Permanent marker in white

Pray do tell dear alien which of the outer planets supplies such wondrous gear, I am in desperate need of such

All I have is red, blue, black, green and a small assortment of sparkly metallics

White would be the eighth wonder of the Old World

By the by, the electro-mechanical hydraulics devices are things of beauty

Although I banished carpet from my hobby room I have to say that missing things still stay oft' lost for ages anyway

"It was jusssst one of those things,just one of those cerazey things.."

• Like 2