Revell Routemaster, London Country 480 mid 70s

Complete!

Quite a few people have built the Revell Routmaster model and I've seen a lot at various shows in the last year, so I wanted to do something different and personal.

Back in the dim and distant past that was the 1970s I used to take the bus from my home village of Swanscombe in Kent to Gravesend to attend Gravesend School for Boys. The bus I invariably caught was a 480 whose route took it from the eastern side of Gravesend, Denton or Valley Drive all the way along the busy industrial North West Kent roads to Dartford and Erith. This was an ara of heavy industry, paper mills, printing factories and most of all cement factories. Blue Circle had the biggest cement factory in Europe on the banks of the Thames in Northfleet and Swanscombe also had its own cement works, in the shadow of whose chimney I grew up.

As a result, the buses were a mess, always dirty. Added to the fact that this was a provincial bus company so its advertising opportunities were not as great as the London buses so adverts changed frequently and often were not even present. Then I found this superb photo:

6819259545_cb7d654d88_b.jpg

How about that for weathering?

So inspiration struck and this is the result:

DSCF7866.JPG

DSCF7868.JPG

DSCF7870.JPG

DSCF7871.JPG

DSCF7874.JPG

DSCF7876.JPG

DSCF7880.JPG

DSCF7881.JPG

DSCF7882.JPG

DSCF7885.JPG

I did have some issues with the decals for the "London Country" logos - the yellow is too faint on transparent decal paper so I had to try to match the background green on the decal which wasn't entirely successful and I've run out of white decal paper, but got some more on order so when that arrives I'll have another go with a rage of greens to get a better match.

However, in the meantime I'm very happy with the end result :)

Edited by Kallisti
  • Like 16

Superb! For anyone not familiar with the route this bus took, they (and everything around the area) did look like that! One of my grandads worked at the cement works at Northfleet in the 60's so he may well have got on this bus.

Easily the best vehicle build I've ever seen. It really is award winning stuff. The weathering is insanely good and this whole model is embarrassingly fantastic. I also agree that you see so many of these built oob, so for yours to be in a different livery and, if I remember from your work in progress that you made some internal improvements, it really is a brilliant build. Well done

Thanks guys

I've very pleased and proud to announce that the model won the Member's Trophy last night at the Farnborough club - this is a 6 monthly special competition that this time around was for "Civilian Vehicles". There was some stiff competition from some other very good models, including a couple of decidedly knackered looking Minis :)

Edited by Kallisti
  • Like 2

I've very pleased and proud to announce that the model won the Member's Trophy last night at the Farnborough club

Bloomin' good show old chap. :)

I was encouraged to put mine in a show/competition, by some work mates, but I never got round to it (couldn't be bothered is probably more accurate).

• 3 weeks later...