Derelict Vampire phase 1. Airfix 1:72

Excellent work Michael, I think you have captured both the fading and weathering spot on. I'm sure when you get the Vamp onto the diorama base it's going to complete the picture and tell a real story. Thanks for sharing the pics.

Colin

OOOh that's good! I did a similar thing with a Starfighter a few years ago, and you can really go to town on the weathering can't you? Love the moss on the fuselage and around the cockpit, it's EXACTLY the right colour.

There was a fuselage of one of these dumped in the grass behind the club room at Long Marston when I was learning to fly twenty years ago - I'm sure it was a two seater in the dayglo markings too. Such memories...

Looking forward to seeing what you do with the setting.

Great job,

Dean

• Like 1

Thanks guys.. The diorama's going to be the tricky part for me..

Dean, the colours I used for the algae and moss are:

Airbrushed Vallejo black grey mixed with Vallejo olive green

Washes of Windsor & Newton sap green...

Never been to Newark, I'm afraid, Allan.. Is it nice?

Nah, the aircraft is loosely based on childhood memories of going to airfields with my dad and looking at the various aircraft parked in varying stages of knackeredness.. If I were to pick a location, it'd be some random airfield somewhere in Bedfordshire.. It's not a specific airframe or location..

Never been to Newark, I'm afraid, Allan.. Is it nice?

Nah, the aircraft is loosely based on childhood memories of going to airfields with my dad and looking at the various aircraft parked in varying stages of knackeredness.. If I were to pick a location, it'd be some random airfield somewhere in Bedfordshire.. It's not a specific airframe or location..

I was curious as to whether or not it was a specific example. Your excellent model reminded me of the Vampire that was/still is on external display at Newark. It was in a similar state - right down to the moss!! It's a very good museum by the way. Well worth a visit. However, seeing as I live in Edinburgh it's not exactly next door & visits are a bit problematic! I'd certainly recommend it though

Allan

I normally look on excessive weathering with a very OMG feeling. But that is superb,looking forward to the the diorama or base. Sometimes aircraft have been left like this at museums due to ownership problems, but not to often thankfully. Long Marston was a bit of an exception.

Amazing weathering, very realistic indeed.....Like the other posters, I'm reminded of various mouldering airframes visited as a youth, there was an aircraft museum in Torquay that seemed to have nothing but partial wrecks and ex-BoB movie props IIRC.

One small thing.....Maybe you should flatten the tyres?

One small thing.....Maybe you should flatten the tyres?

Believe it or not, I did (have a close look at the nose wheel..).. Ceramic cooker top + baking paper + wheels.. Weird thing is that while the tyres squared off, they didn't get any flatter.. However, she'll be sunk into the ground a bit, as well as, hopefully, have some tall grass to conceal stuff..

Wonderful piece of weathering, very distressed like others it reminds me of examples, I was telling my brother yesterday of I think two fuselage pods that were sitting outside a hanger at Headcorn many years ago.

Glen.

NO!!!

Just kidding..

Well.. I sort of made it up as I went along, but I started with spraying hairspray on the fuselage with my airbrush, then shaded areas with a mixture of vallejo black grey and olive green.. I scrubbed it back with water, then applied a layer of Humbrol Clear straight from the jar. I then did the same again.. After that I streaked it with localised washes of black with either sap green or burnt umber. A dash of decanted Tamiya flat clear, followed by one or two touchups as well as some AK interactive winter streaking grime..

I think that is the best weathering I've ever seen on an aircraft model, you've really captured the derelict look. The faded dayglo really looks the part too.

Duncan B