PK403 Heinkel He 111H Update Finished 11-1-2018

Arniec

This will be my second build for this GB. I bought this kit two years ago at the Telford show in the kit swap.

I thought I had bought one kit, but after having a closer at home I noticed there were two kits in the box.:clap2:

I had also bought a F-14 box and a BAC Lightning box. Also these were bouble in the box.:yahoo:

The upside is that I have double fun. The second kit will go back in the stash.:coolio:

Here are some pictures of the content and some extra's.

the Box (that is going back in the stash)

IMG_4182IMG_4184

The content.

IMG_4188IMG_4189IMG_4190

The kit was just started (I think) when I bought it. The former owner had the underside windows cut out. These were in the original kit closed with the original brown plastic. Also were some parts already painted as you can see.

Here are the extra's. 

Exhausts and gun barrels from Quickboost.

IMG_4192

And some decals from Superscale. I think I will use the decals for a KG 55 Night-bomber during the Battle of Britain. Top Picture.

IMG_4193

I think I will start this after the Telford show.

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec
  • Like 8

This Heinkel looks great Arnold, even better as you’ve got a second one as well!!

That’s some artwork isn’t it? Roy Huxley was very prolific and did some amazing work in what must have been a short space of time. 

I've often wondered what this kit was like in comparison to the old Italeri kit. I suppose its now no match for either the Hasegawa or new Airfix kts - but looks to be a lot of fun.

Having those windows drilled out is an obvious bonus, as long as there relatively neat. 

Thanks to you lot, I’m just about to close the deal on 10-12 Matchbox kits purchased from a local chap who deals in the 2nd hand market and deceased estates.

No doubt he’ll buy back some of my stash when I’m no longer sniffing glue and in-hailing paint fumes!! 

Looking forward to your progress with this kit.. 

Cheers and good luck.. Dave. 

• Like 5

The Heinkel He 111 from Matchbox looks good, my choice would be the KG 26 aircraft for an early H with the three gun configuration.

The KG 55 nightbomber was most probably a P variant with different engines. 

In my early days of modelling i did three 111s, the Matchbox, Revell ( Frog ? ) and the Italeri, the Italeri was the best one in my opinion with the best shape but Matchbox had the coooler decal options and boxart.

Happy modelling you need more than one Heinkel.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, charlie_c67 said:

I'd vote for the Rumanian coat for the second one. Purely for being a very different and rarely seen coat for this beastie. Course if you wanted to do it for this one instead that'd be good too ;)

That was how I finished my Matchbox He-111 a year or two back, I really like the old Romanian markings.

30733232002_7b4a758457_k.jpg

The previous owner of this kit did Arniec a big favour by cutting the ventral windows out in my opinion.  The spinners look a bit small if you ask me.

Edited by old thumper
  • Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys I started this build a few days ago. As already said my choice of decals was wrong, luckely there was also a Africa version on it that got my interest.

So here is the choice.

IMG_4211

I believe that it was a H5 version, so that is good.

As already sai I have started it a few days ago and I have also used some left over parts from a Hasegawa  He-111Z 

I had some sprecial interest in the exhausts and the mg's from that kit. Luckely they are all left overs so no problem.:D

Here are some of the exhausts used and also the mg's

IMG_4225IMG_4219

The barrels will be replaced with some resin ones from Quickboost.

I also did some rescribing on the wings and they look a bit better now. Not perfect but it looks a bit more interesting.

Top wings. left rescribed and right not

IMG_4199

Bottom wings Right one done left not.

IMG_4200

As I wanted to have a decent fit of the wings I have already matted them to their fuselage side.and also glued the mg's into the fuselage without their barrels.

IMG_4216

After these have dried properly last night I have glued the fuselage halves tgether.

IMG_4222

Later today I have painted the cockpit interior in RLM66 dark grey also with the parts that make up the interior. As you can see I also had a spare cockpit floor and a top mg stand that I made  to fit the top fuselage. I also painted the figures yesterday, but forgot to take a picture.:weep: I will do that after I have placed them.

IMG_4223IMG_4224

I have already made up the rudder and stabilisors and will put on the fuselage after I have cleaned them up.

That is it for now.

Cheers,

• Like 7

Looking great! 

I’m starting to get convinced that attaching the completed wings to each fuselage half first, is the best way to ensure a good fit on some of these old Matchbox kits. The locations are that positive that the wings should line up level once the fuse is all buttoned up. I’ve had luck this way with my Tempest and this He111 looks no different. 

Nice progress Arnold.

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Finally a update. As I will be of from work the rest of the year I have some time to do some work and this is the progress made so far.  

The first picture is of the crew inside the cockpit.

IMG_4229

I forgot to take a picture when I had placed the canopie. The glassing was dipped in Klear before they were  masked and placed.

Here is the first picture of starting the painting.

The white band and underside wingtips were first done yesterday.

IMG_4231

This morning I did do the RLM 78 underside color after masking the white.

IMG_4232

And again after some masking, just half an hour ago the top color of RLM 79.

IMG_4234

This now needs to dry so the decals can go on.

Cheers,

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry that it took me so long, but here are some pictures after I put the decals on.

This will be the last for this year as I will go to friends in Engeland for a week.

IMG_4244IMG_4243IMG_4242

It seems that flickr isn't working properly. sorry for that. I will see what I can do in the new year. edited.

Cheers and Happy Christmas,

Edited by Arniec
  • Like 7

Look's great Arnold,and convinced me to  finish my Airfix offering in the desert scheme,seems yo are having the issue that's plagued a few of

us recently,there's an easy fix here's one of your photos.

39159952081_464d85368a_b.jpg

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Beautiful Heinkel He.111 in the desert camouflage - a fantastic result. Another star for Matchbox, and Britmodellers, and ArnieC.

(This build inspired me to buy one and it actually came in the post today! I checked and I have a 1983 boxing, still a 3-colour kit but in Blue/Green/Dark Green).

• Like 2

Quality build Arnold.

Sure - The Matchbox Heinkel has been superseeded by newer tools, however in the hands of a master craftsman excellent results can still be achieved.. as demostrated here.

Very well modelled.

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 1