New Airfix 1/48th Scale Hurricane Mk.I,..What A Great Kit,.."FINISHED"

Hiya Folks,

A very small update but first of all a confession,........I stated that Airfix tell you to open up the gun bay as a big square,....WRONG!! My cockup,.....I could have sworn the instructions said to to this but I simply assumed that this was the case and so,...don`t do what I did!! Here is how it should look on my 2nd Hurricane;

DSCF3997_zpsosmxfx2u.jpg

Anyway,......that aside, after all of the sanding last night here is how the (1st) Hurricane now stands, with black watercolour applied over the joints just before I sand over them for the last time, as this helps me to judge whether the joints are smooth or not because if there is a line of watercolour still visible, then there is still a gap;

11_zps9l2i4m6t.jpg

12_zps3lx5o3rt.jpg

And to show how the Vokes filter was fitted, here is the underside of the nose with the part which had to be cut from the wings alongside;

13_zpsas2dumdx.jpg

Sorry for the cock up earlier,.......believe it or not I was following the instructions carefully and I still got it wrong!

Cheers for now,

Tony

PS- Chris- Yes you can tell that the kit was designed by the same person who did the Typhoon,...it is a pearl of a kit! The only thing that I have noticed so far is that some of the guns are numbered wrongly on the instructions, you have to judge where the cartridge shell ejectors chutes should actually be and mix and match the guns accordingly,....it is the outboard pair which need swapping around.

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 6

What markings is the vokes filtered one going to be in mate?

Jonners

Hiya Jon,

I`m split between these;

Hurricane I, Z4769,during its flight from Takoradi to Egypt in 1941. It later went to 237 Sqn but ftr 2.12.41.

hurricane%203%20takoradi-t.otoole%20phot

Above- Tony O`Toole Photo Collection via Jim Pickering

With a similar aircraft below,.....reproduced here under fair use;

hurricane%20I%20Takoradi%20air%20britain

OR;

Hurricane I-Z4932-OL-B, with the name `KIWI' under the cockpit from the Royal Naval Fighter Squadron Western Desert, flown by Sub Lt Mike Fell when he was shot-down-by Otto-Schutzan from JG27.

hurricane%20poss%20NFUWD%20Kiwi_zpskrhhi

Hurricane%20I-Z4932-OL-B-%20RNFS%20Sub%2

Hawker-Hurricane-MkI-Trop-RNFS-Kiwi-OL-B

All above reproduced under fair use, thanks.

I intend to build both sometime but may opt for the Takoradi Route scheme for now,.....I`ve still not fully decided, it depends if I can find my resin drop tanks!

Cheers

Tony

Edit- Sorry Troy I missed your post,....no not Malta this time but if somebody does a Mk.IIa/IIb,...hell yes,....as a certain Wallace like `gimpy' person said recently!!

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 4

the 2nd Takoradi plane I read the serial as Z231? (4?) which makes it a very early MkIIA, Do you know the serial of this one?

one little detail, both planes you are contemplating have the tropical vents in the undercockpit access panel, I know you know what i mean, but for other reading

terryprendergasthurricaneburma.jpg

the two lines directly below the pilot foot,

cheers

T

Was hoping to wait until Cosford next weekend to get one but my impetuosity (sp?) meant I've just walked out of the toyshop in Loughborough with one....

That's kit number 4 in a week!

I'm a naughty boy but I'm blaming you lot in this instance ☺

IanJ

I have always had a soft spot for the old Airfix rendition, however it is now to be confined to the shelf of nostalgia. This new offering looks gorgeous!!!!

Yet another kit to go on my wants list, But I look forward to seeing how this build goes.

Regards Adrian

Great scheme choices, my first thought was in line with Troy tbh

Very much looking forward to your progress on these Tony as the kit looks brilliant and I have a feeling you will do it justice!!

Rob

Hurricane I, Z4769,during its flight from Takoradi to Egypt in 1941. It later went to 237 Sqn but ftr 2.12.41.

hurricane%203%20takoradi-t.otoole%20phot

Above- Tony O`Toole Photo Collection via Jim Pickering

Never seen this before, what are the colours on it?

Never seen this before, what are the colours on it?

AFAIK, Temperate Land Scheme, Dark Green/Dark Earth uppers, undersides Sky or Sky Blue, debate here has turned up a requests for Sky Blue.

the rest are temporary white distemper identification for the flight from Takoradi, Gold Coast to Egypt.

this pic appears in Hurricane at War on page 116.

I have seen other photos.

Tony will know more.

Just got me hands on one. if you happen to be in Oxford today - Boswell's have 3 left - and they will cost you a very reasonable £15.30.

Would anyone care to see some pics of the sprues? :)

Jonners

I definitely would, especially the inside of the fuselages as from other pics I've seen it looks like some detail which should be on the framework are actually on the fuselage itself.

Troy has beaten me to it again,....yes the colours of the Takoradi option are Dark Earth and Dark Green with Sky Blue undersides. the upper rear fuselage & tailplane were painted using white distemper to help the aircraft to be seen if it crashed during the long ferry flight. The cockpit roof probably had a doped fabric patch applied, which provided some welcome shade for the pilot and the roughly applied number was its number in the convoy,......a convoy consisting of a flock of Hurricanes, Fulmars, Tomahawks, Kittyhawks etc led by a pair of Blenheim navigational aircraft which would themselves be passed on to the bomber units in Egypt.

All the best for now,

Tony.

PS- Yes the photo of Z4769 did appear in Hurricane at War but I bought that same photo at auction last year along with some of Jim Pickering`s other photos to add to my own collection.

PPS- Tonight the first two coats of Dark Earth have gone onto the model, so I`ve obviously decided upon the Takoradi scheme after finding a pair of old ED Models resin long range tanks to fit to the model.

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 1

AFAIK, Temperate Land Scheme, Dark Green/Dark Earth uppers, undersides Sky or Sky Blue, debate here has turned up a requests for Sky Blue.

the rest are temporary white distemper identification for the flight from Takoradi, Gold Coast to Egypt.

this pic appears in Hurricane at War on page 116.

I have seen other photos.

Tony will know more.

More on Takoradi Hurricanes. This looks a fascinating subject.

http://www.vintagewings.ca/VintageNews/Stories/tabid/116/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/413/Harry-Boyles-Tango-over-Takoradi.aspx

Trevor

great work so far ! So pleased Airfix seem to have done a good job; a mystery why the Hurricane has been under represented at 1/48...

Really? Countless Hasegawa kits, 2 Airfix, several Ark, three Italeri.. I'm sorry but I would hardly call that under represented.

Edited by avro683
  • Like 1

Nice work Tony. I've been away from the site for a few days and you're on a roll again. I can't believe how fast you move along. looks like a great kit- might have to add one to the stash. Going to start a 1/72 HURRI soon.

Looking forward to seeing it done and number 2.

Cheers

Bill

Really? Countless Hasegawa kits, 2 Airfix, several Ark, three Italeri.. I'm sorry but I would hardly call that under represented.

Ok, maybe a bad choice of phrase. What I mean is the hasegawa kits have been almost impossible to get hold of since I returned to the hobby. The original Airfix kit is one that I love, first kit I made on my return, It looked good and the fit was good but it was a long way from a new tooling. I know of, but have never seen the Ark kit. Not sure Ive ever really seen a build thread of one. And so that only really leaves the Italeri kit which is a decent kit. I guess I'm try to say it will be nice to have a modern tool hurricane, nicely detailed, reasonably priced, straight forward build and that will be available online or sitting on the shelves of my local hobby shop :)

• Like 5

Bloody hell Tony, you're quick off the mark! Looks like that and the new Mk.1 Spitfire are going to have to be added to my kit buys this year!!!!!!

P.s. I haven't forgotten your RNZAF aircraft model photos for my website, but I'm still having a major problem with uploading to the site.

Hopefully I'll get something up by ANZAC day (25th of April)....

Cheers,

Pete M.

Hiya Folks,

Here is the latest update;

Well I found the resin long range tanks so the Takoradi scheme it is,.....and thanks to the magic or Acrylics I`ve brushed on three coats of Polly Scale Dark Earth and it is almost time to start the disruptive camo;

14_zpsfmjyka4b.jpg

In between coats I kept myself busy with the second kit which is rapidly catching up;

DSCF4005_zpsobf9h1fe.jpg

And here is a closer look. As I failed to mention earlier there are some sink marks on either side of the fin which need filling along with a round mark on the side panel inside the cockpit, but otherwise there were no problems;

DSCF4009_zpsk9rfyvns.jpg

Have a nice weekend everybody,.....I`m off to Halifax to hopefully buy another Hurricane if they have any left!!!!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 6

Ok, maybe a bad choice of phrase. What I mean is the hasegawa kits have been almost impossible to get hold of since I returned to the hobby. The original Airfix kit is one that I love, first kit I made on my return, It looked good and the fit was good but it was a long way from a new tooling. I know of, but have never seen the Ark kit. Not sure Ive ever really seen a build thread of one. And so that only really leaves the Italeri kit which is a decent kit. I guess I'm try to say it will be nice to have a modern tool hurricane, nicely detailed, reasonably priced, straight forward build and that will be available online or sitting on the shelves of my local hobby shop :)

The hase kits are pretty easy to get, just requires looking.

1/48th Hurricanes in order of release from memory.

Monogram

Airfix

Hobbycraft

Hasegawa

Classic Airframes

Pegasus

Ark

Italeri

New Airfix

Interestingly, they all are pretty well shaped! Compared to 1/72nd where most of the kits are not!

which makes 9 in 1/48th.

see here http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234967342-best-148-hurricane-kit/

note links in post #9

The Italeri is not a decent kit, it's riddled with errors

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234935596-sea-hurricane-148-italeri/#entry1390213

The new Airfix kits looks to be the best so far, and has the potential to do great range of schemes with the inclusion of the Vokes and Sea Hurricane parts if you have the decals.

cheers

T

PS - for those interested, both the Monogram and Hobbycraft kit came with drop tanks which I recall as being reasonably well shaped.

Bob- Takoradi it is then!!

Bloody hell Tony, you're quick off the mark! Looks like that and the new Mk.1 Spitfire are going to have to be added to my kit buys this year!!!!!!

P.s. I haven't forgotten your RNZAF aircraft model photos for my website, but I'm still having a major problem with uploading to the site.

Hopefully I'll get something up by ANZAC day (25th of April)....

Cheers,

Pete M.

Hiya Pete,

Cheers mate and no worries about the RNZAF models, there is no rush,....it was the very least that I could to send you those after all of the help that you`ve given me,

All the best

Tony

Edited by tonyot