Eduard - 1/48 - P-51D-5 Mustang

Hi Everyone!

I would like to present you with freshly finished lovely kit from Eduard no 82101.

Pretty straight forward kit from the box. Few bits and pieces to rescribe and rivet, but not a huge amount of work. 

I have filled the wing panel lines with a mixture of VMS Black Flexy CA and their Filler Powder. That works great as it is fast drying, non shrinking and easy to sand. Only the area around the guns was filled with Mr Surfacer 500.

I have also replaced gun barrels with hypodermic needles which improved the look in my opinion. Drilled the exhaust pipes and filters on the lower nose.

The kit provides decals for the tail, but I have decided to mask it and paint it and I'm happy with the result. Painted with Tamiya LP-8 over white and Black Mr. Surfacer. Nose red is a AK Interactive RED. Anti glare painted with Olive Drab. Fuselage has been painted over satin black with Mr.Color Super Fine Silver, where the wings are painted with Tamiya LP-38 Flat Aluminium. 

Weathered with Abteilung's oils and some panel washes from AK. Then everything sealed with satin on the wings and the rest of the coloured parts, and gloss on the fuselage, bare metal surface.

I had a massive disaster during the build. Once I painted the tail and nose, I have followed an advice from more experienced friends from the model club, to use LP-11 as the aluminium colour, but that for some reason turned out not nice, so I covered it with Extreme Metal Polished Aluminium which was much better. Then I sealed it with Gauzy Agent pre decaling. This is where I think it went wrong. Well not from the start. Stencils were great, film was easy to remove and I was absolutely amazed with the result. The problem started with the larger decals, where they did not stick properly and despite waiting over 2 days, I still removed the film with part of the decals.. 

Thanks to club friends for supplying me with their decals from the same kit. I stripped all the paint back to plastic (apart from the nose) and painted it again with the paint mentioned above. This time decals went on better and I also restrained from removing the film. 

And here we have the result, let me know what you think:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks!

• Like 61
  • Thanks 2

Great looking Mustang.  From the finished work, you cannot tell it gave you any problems.  Nicely done.  Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

I hate it! This was supposed to be my next project, exactly down to painting scheme and even decision of puttying the wing panel lines (I'm not very orthodox about it). Now I need to find something else (maybe Gannet?) 😁.

But seriously, this is a great piece of work! I love it (I must be bipolar). Very nice NMF and balanced weathering. And this oil spill on a starboard 🥰.

My kit is equipped with decals from 2019. They seem to be printed in the "old" Eduard's way, with non-removable film. Maybe that was your case too?

Gratulacje!

Edited by kelly9mm
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

The offset prop just finishes it off - perfick!

TT

Excellent, building one at the moment, Whats a "Offset Prop"?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mark H2 said:

Excellent, building one at the moment, Whats a "Offset Prop"?

I mean, instead of the prop being at 90 degrees or 45 degrees which I usually do the fact that the top blade is at about 15 degrees looks great as it looks like it has just shut down- it’s a compliment not a criticism- you don’t see that very often! 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, kelly9mm said:

I hate it! This was supposed to be my next project, exactly down to painting scheme and even decision of puttying the wing panel lines (I'm not very orthodox about it). Now I need to find something else (maybe Gannet?) 😁.

But seriously, this is a great piece of work! I love it (I must be bipolar). Very nice NMF and balanced weathering. And this oil spill on a starboard 🥰.

My kit is equipped with decals from 2019. They seem to be printed in the "old" Eduard's way, with non-removable film. Maybe that was your case too?

Gratulacje!

I haven't seen too many Mustangs in that scheme so one more done by you would be a big added value to the P-51 pool.

Regarding the decals - those were definitely the "peelable" decals - irregular film, patch appearance and it worked well with the stencils that are on the same sheet. The nose art was also peeled with no problems. The star and bars were the problem, then also the number on the fuselage. There is also another way to get rid of the film - using mineral spirit apparently but I only found out once I got the decals on. 

Thank you all for overwhelming amount of good comments and "likes". Much appreciated!

Bart

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, bluriusz said:

There is also another way to get rid of the film - using mineral spirit apparently but I only found out once I got the decals on.

Yep, I use this method frequently, it works pretty well. The word of cautious though: once I tried to use an enamel thinner (X-20) instead of white spirit and it melted the whole decal 🤔.

Edited by kelly9mm

12 hours ago, bluriusz said:

I haven't seen too many Mustangs in that scheme so one more done by you would be a big added value to the P-51 pool.

Regarding the decals - those were definitely the "peelable" decals - irregular film, patch appearance and it worked well with the stencils that are on the same sheet. The nose art was also peeled with no problems. The star and bars were the problem, then also the number on the fuselage. There is also another way to get rid of the film - using mineral spirit apparently but I only found out once I got the decals on. 

Thank you all for overwhelming amount of good comments and "likes". Much appreciated!

Bart

Most of the builders I know who have trouble with these decals it is the national insignia that they have problems with. I only wish Eduard would have stuck with Cartograf.

Great build! I have a filet less Mustang planned for the future.

On 3/20/2024 at 1:14 AM, Scooby said:

Most of the builders I know who have trouble with these decals it is the national insignia that they have problems with. I only wish Eduard would have stuck with Cartograf.

Great build! I have a filet less Mustang planned for the future.

Thanks!

I believe the problem is not enough adhesive. The tiny decals, including stencils work fine as the surface between the film and "paint" is smaller. With a large printed piece there is more tension when you remove it. Iny second try on the underside, the decal didn't stick properly too. At the first glance it was fine, treated with a lot of Sol over several days. Just to find out that a quarter of the decal is not attached to the surface. I've used Set before and that didn't help much apparently. I've flooded the said part with Set, Sol and also the Revell setting solution, followed by a light treatment of mineral spirits and that seemed to convince the decal to hug the wing. It's a shame because I find the decal print quality very good, but there is clearly a problem, as I'm not the only one to experience trouble with them. Worth mentioning is that just in front of the canopy, there are two small stencils that silvered badly despite following exactly same procedure. Luckily when I decided to remove them, only film got removed.

Bart

• Like 1

Absolutely stunning build and paint job. 👍

Overcoming problems is part of the hobby I suppose,  and it looks like you managed that admirably. 

Congratulations on a really good looking result. 🏆

Watto.

• Like 1

On 3/18/2024 at 12:38 PM, Cris Garcia said:

... One of the best works on this model kit I've ever seen...

I've been known to say that imo this kit (including two I've built) doesn't capture the overall character of the P-51D, but this particular model does: well done.  :goodjob:

• Like 1