Airfix Spitfire IXC 1/24 - RW382 "Porky II", E wing conversion

Calling it done! 3 month journey this one, including learning how to airbrush. Kit built, with the E wing conversion, resin fishtail exhausts and block tread 4 hole wheels, instrument panel, seatbelts and custom decals as added extras. This now completes the set of 1/72, 1/48 and 1/24 scale versions of this particular aircraft.

DSC-1628-01.jpg

DSC-1631.jpg

DSC-1632.jpg

DSC-1633.jpg

DSC-1636.jpg

DSC-1638.jpg

DSC-1639.jpg

DSC-1640.jpg

DSC-1642.jpg

DSC-1646.jpg

DSC-1649.jpg

DSC-1652.jpg

DSC-1653.jpg

• Like 45
  • Thanks 2

She came out quite Nice Sir guys are doing some amazing things with this kit in detailing well beyond my needs but impressive never less':worthy:

• Like 2

Very nice indeed. I wonder if that makes you biggest  fan of that particular  warbird? 😀

I love the detail of the chart wedged into the crowbar. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, noelh said:

Very nice indeed. I wonder if that makes you biggest  fan of that particular  warbird? 😀

I love the detail of the chart wedged into the crowbar. 

I have been christened their number one superfan by the Suffolk Spitfire team 🤣 either that or chief groupie, one of the two!

The chart was my fellow '382 fan, and creator of the custom decals, Jamie. He even went to the lengths of making a scale version of the quad lock phone holder that George uses in the cockpit, that's way above my abilities!

• Haha 1

Great looking Spitfire in a welcome change from RAF markings , one nit pick tho , the crow bars were never Red on wartime aircraft , only restored aircraft have Red crowbars for safety reasons. :goodjob:

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, keith in the uk said:

Great looking Spitfire in a welcome change from RAF markings , one nit pick tho , the crow bars were never Red on wartime aircraft , only restored aircraft have Red crowbars for safety reasons. :goodjob:

You're correct, but the red crowbar is also correct for this particular aircraft, as '382 is a modern restoration and I have depicted her as she is now. She is painted to represent the original "Porky II", a Spitfire IXC, so the kit out of the box would be accurate. '382 has the E wing tho, hence me using the resin conversion kit.

DSC-1304.jpg

If you'd like to know more about the history of "our" Spitfire, check out https://suffolkspitfire.co.uk/ or there is a very active Facebook page for her too.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, keith in the uk said:

Ah , i stand corrected , super job 👍

I had to get the details right on this one or Chiefy would never let me near her again! 🤣 I even added the 5mm drain hole at the trailing edge of the oil pan that nobody else would ever notice!

You were absolutely correct on war time birds tho, and if i had done this as the original Porky II, IXC, then your nitpick would have been justified

54 minutes ago, robstopper said:

You're correct, but the red crowbar is also correct for this particular aircraft, as '382 is a modern restoration and I have depicted her as she is now. She is painted to represent the original "Porky II", a Spitfire IXC, so the kit out of the box would be accurate. '382 has the E wing tho, hence me using the resin conversion kit.

DSC-1304.jpg

If you'd like to know more about the history of "our" Spitfire, check out https://suffolkspitfire.co.uk/ or there is a very active Facebook page for her too.

I sort of  knew someone would fall into that trap. 🤣  i kind of alluded to it by mentioning the chart which is an obvious modern  CAA version. 

Interestingly I noted that the  RAF memorial flight  Spitfire crowbar is aluminium. But they are military, so different rules. 

Superfan or groupie, you're  both. Brilliant work. 

I find RW382's history fascinating starting off as low back  MkXVI and now an IX. I wonder if Airfix  has an MkXVI  in mind for a future  release?

Edited by noelh
  • Thanks 1

I didn't get it completely right. Some of the camo pattern is a bit off, I should have removed the blister from the port wing root as '382 doesn't have it, she also doesn't have the armour plate on the seat any more, and some of the cockpit fittings are slightly off. But, no.1 pilot and no.1 ground crew approve, so I guess i should think "job done"

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, noelh said:

I find RW382's history fascinating starting off as low back  MkXVI and now an IX. I wonder if Airfix  has an MkXVI  in mind for a future  release?

She's definitely lived a life! Not much left original now, and she's had many different configurations, but I love her dearly. Her story can be traced from day one through to now, which to my mind, makes her just as valuable as an "original" Spit (if there even is such a thing after all these years). She's the one I've had the most up-close interaction with, so will always be "my" Spitfire. Plus, she's a movie star too! OK, just a background, static "extra" in Battle of Britain, but she's listed in Dilip Sarkar's book about the making of the film.

Edited by robstopper
  • Like 2

You did a great job on this big version of your favorite Spitfire.  The collection of it in different scales is also pretty amazing.  (When Border does their 1/35 Spitfire, will this be joining the club?  And, where is the 1/32 companion?  Just trying to drum up more work for you)  Just a wonderful tribute to the particular plane.  Thanks for sharing.

• Thanks 1

Haha, i think 3 versions (plus another 1/72 version on my desk at work) is more than enough. No decals at that scale! You can get some kits with them at 1/72, but Jamie only had his accurate, and team-approved ones, done at 48 and 24.

Noelh's comments about her history gave me an idea however, so I will build a version of '382 as she was in her service life as a low back, clipped wing mk. Xvi, using Eduard's 1/48 kit.

Three great models here. Very interesting size comparison too. It reminds us that 1/24 is not just three times bigger than 1/72. It's at least 9 times bigger as you watch from above (or consider shelf space usage) and really 27 times bigger as a 3D object (you can have three shelves with 1/72 Spitfires instead of just one with 1/24 Spit).

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

This is how '382 used to look! Pics of her in a spurious brown/green livery with BoB era markings at Leconfield, then mounted on a pole in more appropriate camo at Uxbridge, then in flying post first restoration by Historic Flying Ltd.

IMG-20240311-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20240311-WA0004.jpgFB-IMG-1710161838722.jpg

Edited by robstopper
reordered pics
  • Like 3

Cracking set of Lovely Spitfire models, great work and great project, would be awesome if you build the Low back models to complete the history, would look fantastic to see the models lined up again then. Fantastic stuff

Chris

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Cracking set of Lovely Spitfire models, great work and great project, would be awesome if you build the Low back models to complete the history, would look fantastic to see the models lined up again then. Fantastic stuff

Chris

The Eduard mk XVI turned up this week! I have a 1/72 Hunter FGA.9 to build for my dad in his old 43 sq. colours first, then will crack on with the OG RW382

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Things are in place now to finish the set! The mk.XVI is here to replicate '382 as she first was, and I have today received an ICM mk.IXE and some decals to make her when she had been rebuilt as a IX and painted in 322 Dutch squadron colours. That's all versions of her that she has flown as!

20240327-103404.jpg

DSC-1047.jpg