Bugatti 35B - Italeri 1/12

I think the blue version is probably going to be more popular but I couldn't resist building the Grover-Williams car, because of his story and also, this being one of the earliest cars to wear BRG (British racing green)

The kit is generally quite good, the fit of parts, in particular, is superb. I really liked the way you can close the bonnet halves and the simulated leather straps will actually buckle and unbuckle! The working steering didn't work for long, I think the gears sheared off the first time I tried it 🤣

Pretty much out of the box but I did replace the brake cabling with knitting in elastic. The body bolt tie wires are individually cut to represent the pattern seen on photos of the real car. Mostly these were diagonally laced, it looks like Mr Williams wanted to be different. 

I also thinned the magneto drive belt with needle files, which was fun!

The plated parts in the kit were treated to Mr Muscle oven cleaner. This took several attempts, that plating did not want to go!

Grille shell is covered in Bare Metal Foil, all other metal surfaces are Mr Color metallics.

I made an attempt to use the masking templates printed in the instructions, it didn't work for me though, not sure if I had the correct process Italeri had in mind? The kit decals were used and they were fantastic. 

A very enjoyable build and I am more than pleased with the end result. Looking forward to the Roadster version just recently announced by Italeri 😋

Atb, Steve.

p?i=e7417e1166a582cb7ac761e168d7eec4

p?i=8d6717a134d3704ea53ae632c51de0a8

p?i=8becdb8bb8a0118581946ebffbf44f41

p?i=54904a2ccee9dbf9a2e00ab1054ce325

p?i=4a7a7839e3c1b4e596d5acd76e812abf

p?i=f5bc42afc2c5fb33f52bce6c63043428

p?i=8f63587d1f7c7e2a517368857b366050

• Like 33

That looks fantastic. Beautiful finishes and detailing — the locking wires are a stroke of genius. I must admit I was eyeing up the BRG scheme as well for when I come to do mine…

beat,

M.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Matt. I did forget to add, the rear of the car is completely enclosed once finished. I spent a fair bit of time detail painting the rear axle, fuel tank and suspension, for it never to be seen again.

I suppose it's one of those 'I know it's there' moments, not sure if I'll do it all again on the roadster version though 😉

Atb, Steve.

That's a really nice model, well done :) 

The green looks so much better than the usual blue, might be tempted at some point myself 

Just a quick question though, probably a stupid one, but this era of motorsport is alien to me. Is the second number a 2 or a 9, or is it even a Q?

Ian :) 

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Redstaff said:

Is the second number a 2 or a 9, or is it even a Q?

Hi Redstaff, thanks for the kind comments.

I'm not sure why the numbers were painted in such a way but the second number is certainly a 2. History records this car and driver as the winner of the inaugural Monaco GP in 1929, race number 12.

It does look very ambiguous and I have never seen any comment made on why it should be so. Perhaps someone on here knows the answer?

I'd certainly like to know why 😉

Atb, Steve.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, triumphfan said:

It does look very ambiguous and I have never seen any comment made on why it should be so. Perhaps someone on here knows the answer?

I'd certainly like to know why 😉

Thanks, yes it is a strange one, there must have been a reason :)

Hopefully someone will have an answer 

• Like 1

Excellent modelling there I like it a lot! Just might invest in the kit myself! Shame the 1/24 Monogram kit has not been re issued as I really enjoyed making that one.

• Thanks 1

You beat me to it @triumphfan! I've been building the exact same thing and I've got a few details to finish. Grover-Williams' story is both intriguing and inspiring, I think there's a Netflix series just waiting to be made about him.

I agree with you, I think it's a very good kit with just a few design problems, the steering box being the main one but then I've always thought that the "working" features in car kits are a weakness and really pointless, the medium isn't strong enough, leave it to die casts.

I like your solution to the body wiring, I've replaced the nuts on mine for 3D printed ones and wired it with fishing line. The pattern on #12 isn't so strange on cars of the period, the diagonal wiring seems to be a more modern affectation for its looks.

Love the finish you've got on the bodywork, what colour did you use?

Excellent work on the bonnet and spare wheel strapping, I struggled with mine, it's one of the fiddliest parts of the build so to make it all work is a triumph (see what I did there? 🤣)

Great job.

Dave

18 minutes ago, Coors54 said:

so to make it all work is a triumph

Lol, yes it was a bit fiddly! I did try using masking tape doubled over but it was worse than the kit material.

I also just remembered the faff in fitting the bonnet, very stressful. I will have a different approach to that process when I build the next one! I have mixed feelings about the amount of screw fit joints Italeri employ. It was not the best of ideas to have the body screwed to the chassis with their Alfa 8C kit. Especially as this is carried out after the body/chassis are painted 🙄

I ummed and ahhed about the green, but quickly came to the conclusion that, with no colour photos to use for reference, any green would do. I had a full bottle of Zero BRG so just went with that.

I also had a lovely lime green pearl but thought that might be less appropriate 🤣

Sounds like your build is not far from publishing then?

Atb, Steve.

• Like 1

Congratulations on your Bugatti, you built a really wonderful model. I must add that kit to my stash - and the roadster too of course.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, triumphfan said:

Sounds like your build is not far from publishing then?

No, not far but I think I may delay a while as direct comparisons with yours will be a little embarrassing for me! 

1 hour ago, triumphfan said:

I also just remembered the faff in fitting the bonnet, very stressful.

I noted that in a comment you made on @kpnuts build thread so I took a different route and omitted the hinge pins and made the bonnet a complete unit that lifts off, my straps are strictly non functioning.

Dave

1 hour ago, Coors54 said:

I took a different route and omitted the hinge pins

The noises coming from the model as I fitted the bonnet were taking me in the same direction. It was just at that point, the pins popped into place. I was so surprised nothing broke or fell off. Remember thinking, no one at Italeri had fitted the bonnet halves as per the instructions!

I feel really flattered now. Looking at your recent Lotus 78 build, I feel the same way about putting my Type 78 build on here, amazing details, especially the engine 😉

Atb, Steve.

• Thanks 1

Thats fantastic, I love the story of Grover-Williams practising on the circuit very late at night/early in the morning, just before the race when there was no other traffic around He won the race by over a minute. The prize for winning was 100,000Francs which was/is a fortune.

Malc.

• Like 1

Lovely build and finish in all respects Steve, got one in the stash and the Blue paint, no so sure about the blue now 🤔

Can't waste it so may need to buy another kit then 😀

• Thanks 1

That looks amazing, so much detail and very realistic result. In a different setting I bet it would be impossible to see it is a model and not the real thing!

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, colin said:

Can't waste it so may need to buy another kit then 😀

Thanks Colin. The roadster version is due out soon, I was going to do that in French blue, then I found a photo of a black and red one. Looks like I am destined to not get a blue one in the cabinet.

Atb, Steve.

• Like 1