1/48 P-51D, 'Old Crow', 363rd FS, 1944. Update 22/04.

Hello all,

Hadn't planned on entering this GB but having looked at my display shelves, there is a distinct lack of P-51s (total of 0) so that will need rectified!

My entry will be a P-51D-10 of the 363rd Fighter Squadron, 357th Fighter Group, 8th Air Force, based at Leiston, Suffolk, in late 1944. A scheme I've always liked, 'Old Crow' was flown by Captain (at the time) Clarence 'Bud' Anderson, who went on to down 17 Axis aircraft during the war.

53568414440_389229164c_b.jpg

53568293934_b57997f728_b.jpg

53567971421_bfbc5f6d7e_b.jpg

My first dabble with the Eduard P-51 and I'm looking forward to it - I do have another two in the stash and will add the B/C when released. Will be completely OOB as the kit comes with some lovely resin, masks and etch.

Dave

• Like 13

Good morning DaveJL

Welcome aboard with a very nice choice of subject ...

Have fun  with your build ..

Best regards 

Patrice 

Ah nice Dave, that old Crowe Livery is a great choice, and I suspect harder to paint than it looks at first glance. The Eduard kit looks beautifully done, and I’m sure you’ll get a fantastic result from it. Welcome to the fun!

.. indeed, you can't rely on the checker decals to work around those tight curves on the nose, tried and ended up painting them... 

11 hours ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good morning DaveJL

Welcome aboard with a very nice choice of subject ...

Have fun  with your build ..

Best regards 

Patrice 

7 hours ago, Wings unlevel said:

Ah nice Dave, that old Crowe Livery is a great choice, and I suspect harder to paint than it looks at first glance. The Eduard kit looks beautifully done, and I’m sure you’ll get a fantastic result from it. Welcome to the fun!

Thanks chaps! My biggest concern is painting the D-Day stripes and the white bands on the wings. Never done that before. Would anyone know the width for 1/48?

19 minutes ago, FalkeEins said:

.. indeed, you can't rely on the checker decals to work around those tight curves on the nose, tried and ended up painting them... 

Goodness, I hope they work as my ham fists couldn't cope with painting those!

• Like 1

Hi,

a great choice indeed.

Re the checker decal behind the spinner, the best approach in my eyes, is to paint the yellow band (over a white base), and then cut the red squares on the decals before fitting the red decal squares, one at a time, over the yellow band.

Neither painting the squares by hand nor trying to fit the kit's decal band are worth considering. Disaster would never be far away...

Have fun!

JR

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Grey Beema said:

If I recall invasion stripes were 18” wide.

(18x25.4)/48 =9.5 mm.

Correct.  And then the white theater stripes were slightly smaller at 15” wide or 7.9 mm in 1/48.

18 hours ago, jean said:

Hi,

a great choice indeed.

Re the checker decal behind the spinner, the best approach in my eyes, is to paint the yellow band (over a white base), and then cut the red squares on the decals before fitting the red decal squares, one at a time, over the yellow band.

Neither painting the squares by hand nor trying to fit the kit's decal band are worth considering. Disaster would never be far away...

Have fun!

JR

Thanks, looks like I'll not get away with using the kit decals as they are then :lol:

6 hours ago, Grey Beema said:

If I recall invasion stripes were 18” wide.

(18x25.4)/48 =9.5 mm.

1 hour ago, Matt B said:

Correct.  And then the white theater stripes were slightly smaller at 15” wide or 7.9 mm in 1/48.

Thanks chaps! Theatre stripes, are these the white bands on the wings and horizontal stabilisers?

49 minutes ago, DaveJL said:

Thanks, looks like I'll not get away with using the kit decals as they are then :lol:

Thanks chaps! Theatre stripes, are these the white bands on the wings and horizontal stabilisers?

Yup!

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/9/2024 at 6:53 PM, wellzy said:

Looking forward to watching  your  build   ,wellzy

Cheers!

23 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Any movement on this one, mate?

A few bits off the sprues and that’s about it! Hope to get a bit done on the cockpit over the weekend.

Think I’ve overcommitted to GBs at the moment!

• Like 1

So, a long overdue start. Gave myself a shake yesterday and tore into this one. Cockpit first, all went together very well. I added some weathering (scuffing) to the plywood floor and some chipping here and there to the seat.

53637703328_be030c6a6d_b.jpg

53637944080_4df488931b_b.jpg

Fuselage sides next, again some light chipping and a light wash/dry brush to bring out some details. 

53637494476_4538934735_b.jpg

53637494471_87ae8beebc_b.jpg

53637828049_717b4424d3_b.jpg

Finally, these arrived a couple of weeks ago:

53637703998_9585bcf47a_b.jpg

The quality compared to the kit parts is incredible!

Next up will be to close up the fuselage and get some work done on the undercarriage wells.

More soon.

Dave

• Like 8

• DaveJL changed the title to 1/48 P-51D, 'Old Crow', 363rd FS, 1944. Update 07/04.

Very nice work on the cockpit components with realistic weathering. Looking forward to seeing this one come together. 

Cheers, 

Mark 

On 4/7/2024 at 4:35 PM, shortCummins said:

those drop tanks look absolutely spot on 👍

rgds

John(shortCummins)

Thanks John. The detail on them is incredible!

On 4/7/2024 at 10:44 PM, 2996 Victor said:

Very nice work on the cockpit components with realistic weathering. Looking forward to seeing this one come together. 

Cheers, 

Mark 

Thanks Mark!

On 4/8/2024 at 10:11 AM, Wings unlevel said:

Cracking start for a day’s work. Oh, if you need me I’ll be searching online for those gorgeous drop tanks…

Well worth the investment mate!

• Like 3

Drop tanks look the business, word of warning, attachment points on the Eduard kits are minimal to say the least l’ve had to pin drop tanks to get a secure fit.

• Thanks 1

On 4/12/2024 at 9:00 PM, Farmerboy said:

Drop tanks look the business, word of warning, attachment points on the Eduard kits are minimal to say the least l’ve had to pin drop tanks to get a secure fit.

Thanks for the heads up, will take a look when I get to that stage!

Managed a good bit of progress since the last update. Wings first, generally a good fit, though I did have some warped undercarriage parts (I've noticed this has been mentioned on other builds) and needed a little sprue goo to tidy up a bit of the leading edge join:

53660767853_2725ab1045_b.jpg

53660901934_64cf98401b_b.jpg

Undercarriage bay was painted and weathered prior to fitting:

53660545761_83df3e0928_b.jpg

Fuselage was also closed up. A good fit, though I do think I had a point out by just a hair which gave me a bit of a bigger seam line to clean up. Stabs and rudder on, along with the various vents on the underside:

53660901989_8f74f8f89f_b.jpg

53661012060_ae30e55c77_b.jpg

53660546026_d35dfcaeda_b.jpg

A question for those in the know regarding the large air scoop at the back, just fore of the tail wheel, would the roof, i.e not the door, be painted in the D-Day stripe colour or left as bare metal since it a visible part of the fuselage? The inside of the door and radiator or whatever it is are sprayed silver as things stand.

The IP was also assembled, ready to fit:

53660546051_6d0315560d_b.jpg

A little re-scribing and re-riveting (is that even a word? :lol:) to do on the nose then I'll get the wings on.

More soon.

Dave

• Like 9

• DaveJL changed the title to 1/48 P-51D, 'Old Crow', 363rd FS, 1944. Update 17/04.
14 minutes ago, Wings unlevel said:

Excellent progress Dave, looking forward to seeing this come together. What was your technique for painting the wheel wells?

Thanks mate!

For the wheel wells, I sprayed a base coat of black then MRP ‘Super Silver’. The instructions suggest Old Crow had the yellow chromate rear panel, so I used Tamiya XF-4 for that then painted the bits in the centre free hand with thinned XF-4. Flory wash to finish.

• Thanks 1