1:72 Fairey Barracuda Mk.II *FINISHED*

Hi All,

I had a feeling that it had been a while since my last FAA build, so I looked back through the annals and it seems it's been an entire 12 months! I thought it was high time to rectify that, so I dragged this out from the stash. Here's the box art:

20240217-122318.jpg

Here's the sprues:

20240217-122344.jpg

20240217-122356.jpg

20240217-122335.jpg

The transparencies:

20240217-122407.jpg

Decals, which look rather nice, and allow for 4 schemes:

20240217-122416.jpg

I'm leaning towards this scheme, although I haven't yet found a photo:

20240217-122429.jpg

This should be fun!

Thanks for looking,

Roger

• Like 23

Roger - Neglecting the Air Branch, shame on you!!.  Well at least you are back and with a Barracuda too.  

My Dad was training to service Barracudas (Seafires, Corsairs) in ‘45 as part of a Mobile Naval Air Base (MONAB) to support Operation Olympic, he really didn’t like them.  Being small he was expected to remove the oil filters and crawl in under the engine as it was quicker than removing the lower cowlings..

Anyway, if you don’t mind, and I know it’s early but, can I take up a seat at the bar here and follow your build?  I have the 1/48 version in the stash any info will be useful.  

BTW origami or no origami?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Grey Beema said:

Roger - Neglecting the Air Branch, shame on you!!.  Well at least you are back and with a Barracuda too.  

My Dad was training to service Barracudas (Seafires, Corsairs) in ‘45 as part of a Mobile Naval Air Base (MONAB) to support Operation Olympic, he really didn’t like them.  Being small he was expected to remove the oil filters and crawl in under the engine as it was quicker than removing the lower cowlings..

Anyway, if you don’t mind, and I know it’s early but, can I take up a seat at the bar here and follow your build?  I have the 1/48 version in the stash any info will be useful.  

BTW origami or no origami?

Cheers GB - I know, I know, it's been too long! No origami for this one, hoping for a straightforward build (too much to ask from an SH kit?!). Good to be back with the taste of salt on the tongue,

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

Brilliant,  an FAA build again , looking forward to this one too.

:popcorn:

Chris

Thanks Chris - it's been too long!

11 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

Oh yes, this will be special.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks Alistair - some more SH fun!

8 minutes ago, mick b said:

You can never have too many Barracudas ….looking forward to this.

Mike

I second that emotion Mike - Ba Ba Ra Ra Cu Cu Da Da, as a famous person once allegedly uttered...

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Gondor44 said:

Wot! No wing fold?

Gondor

Not this time around!

7 hours ago, M.T.Dolby said:

Another one I have in the stash so will be following keenly!! On the sprue it looks fantastic so let’s see how it builds!

Matt

I agree Matt - it does show promise on the sprue

4 hours ago, Chuck1945 said:

It has been 20+ years since I built SH/MPM’s first go at the Barracuda and I have this one in the stash. I’ll be keeping an eye on yours here.

Welcome aboard Chuck - I'll be sure to point out any pitfalls!

Hi All,

Once again the constant social whirl that is my life precluded me from posting last week, although progress was made on the 'cuda. I started off in the cockpit - there are no instrument decals, and as the glazing will be closed up I made do with dry-brushing and picking out the dials with gloss:

20240217-164453.jpg

Talking of the glazing, I've been bitten too many times by SH kits so a dry-fit was in order:

20240218-103333.jpg

This was after a little judicious shaving of the fuselage opening at the rear end of the canopy, and you can see that the glazing now sits down nicely. Here's the key cockpit elements coming together:

20240223-145449.jpg

Finally a nice shot of the starboard fuselage half showing some of the radio gear:

20240223-145457.jpg

Tomorrow I should be able to get on with drawing those threads together! 

Thanks for looking,

Roger

• Like 18

2 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Looking good so far Roger, looking forward to seeing the cockpit go together.

Chris

Thanks Chris - it's the usual SH guessing game but looks pretty good so far...

• Like 2

Good progress Roger. I'll follow if I may! I remember on one of my local cycle rides seeing some sort of excavation going on just off the shoreline in Lee-on-the-Solent. Turns out they were raising the remains of one of these.

https://www.wessexarch.co.uk/our-work/rare-fairey-barracuda-aircraft-wreck-virtual-reality#main-content

• Like 2

Hi All,

Some good progress with the Barracuda this weekend! It very nearly ended up on the Shelf of Doom yesterday, after the cockpit components almost exploded on my first attempt at buttoning up. I let things cool down overnight and revisited the situation this morning, and reasonably quickly ended up here:

20240224-133718.jpg

Always best to sleep on that sort of thing! Finally I managed to get the fuselage buttoned up:

20240225-114624.jpg

Here's the view through the observer's window:

20240225-114633.jpg

And here' the glazing posed in place (just to check the fit - again!):

20240225-114740.jpg

Next I moved on to the undercarriage bays - made up of four pieces, none of which have any positive location :rage::

20240225-121719.jpg

Although there are no landing lights, a couple of sequins sourced from the craft box sorted that out:

20240225-132030.jpg

I've also cut out the spaces for the navigation lights - rather curiously the transparencies are provided, but not the cutouts:

20240225-140418.jpg

This is the extent of the location for the wings:

20240225-140705.jpg

Strong CA is the order of the day. I'm off to put together the other wing now,

Thanks for looking,

Roger

• Like 17

Excellent progress Roger.

5 hours ago, Dunny said:

the cockpit components almost exploded on my first attempt at buttoning up

Special Hobby there are always extras. ;)

Really chuffed you kept it going though.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AliGauld said:

Excellent progress Roger.

Special Hobby there are always extras. ;)

Really chuffed you kept it going though.

Cheers,

Alistair

Aren't there just - even by SH standards this one is vague...

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

Really glad you have continued with this Roger. 

Cockpit areas look fab and great to see this all coming together too, looks awesome fella.

Chris

Thanks Chris - it's been a bit of a trial but getting there now

• Like 2

Great start and progress, I too am glad it didn't head for SOD! I think I have this kit in my WIP  (SOD) along with the Airwaves folded wing etch set. We have a D-Day theme build within our club, this would be a candidate I think?

Coli

• Like 1