British Airways Fairey Rotodyne! Red Tail Delight!

Fantastic effort, I did the Revell one a couple of years ago and have two of the Airfix Vintage Classic release in the stash. Planning to bash them together into a Type Z, but with much less finesse than your work! Will be following with interest, got a massive soft spot for Rotodyne.

I don’t think I’ve seen anyone else mention it, so (if you don’t have it already) I feel obliged to recommend the fantastic and indispensable book by David Gibbings, who had a part in the development of the real thing. Even beyond a modelling reference it’s a great little book to have. I keep mine at work, so might not be the quickest to the draw,  but I’d be more than happy to flick back through it to find any snippets of info you might need.

Looking forward to the finished item!

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Tribesman72 said:

Fantastic effort, I did the Revell one a couple of years ago and have two of the Airfix Vintage Classic release in the stash. Planning to bash them together into a Type Z, but with much less finesse than your work! Will be following with interest, got a massive soft spot for Rotodyne.

I don’t think I’ve seen anyone else mention it, so (if you don’t have it already) I feel obliged to recommend the fantastic and indispensable book by David Gibbings, who had a part in the development of the real thing. Even beyond a modelling reference it’s a great little book to have. I keep mine at work, so might not be the quickest to the draw,  but I’d be more than happy to flick back through it to find any snippets of info you might need.

Looking forward to the finished item!

I look forwards to seeing your Type Z, will that be an extended version? I wasn't aware of that book so thanks for the recommendation :)

20 hours ago, stringbag said:

Yes, but you will be fine.  :tease:

I suppose you owe me that one mate 🤣 Now stop faffing on the internet and get that ruddy A300 over the line, I know it will be a gem :)

17 hours ago, MrB17 said:

Really like your ingenuity Neil. This is going to look amazing!

Cheers

Jeff

Cheers Jeff, there's something liberating about doing a What-if, no constraints 🤣

I got the interior finished earlier, really pleased with how it turned out although you won't see much once it's inside. The figures are a bit small, so they're all sat on booster seats!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers

Neil

• Like 29

Small light passengers required to allow take-off.

I'll be interested to see the Z too.  This was to be the production version with two Tynes but I've never seen a drawing of it.  The noise would have been horrendous.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, woody37 said:

I suppose you owe me that one mate 🤣 Now stop faffing on the internet and get that ruddy A300 over the line, I know it will be a gem :)

heers

Neil

Yes Boss.

I'm on with it together with a couple of others.  Honestly!!

• Like 1

The book, ordered...

Do I detect the long, slippery slope to inevitability?

And  if so where did you source the railway carriage interior which will surely become the staple diet for future 1/72 scale airline seating?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

Small light passengers required to allow take-off.

I'll be interested to see the Z too.  This was to be the production version with two Tynes but I've never seen a drawing of it.  The noise would have been horrendous.

About the same as a Breguet Atlantic then. The tip jet noise had been reduced by the time the project was cancelled.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, woody37 said:

I look forwards to seeing your Type Z, will that be an extended version? I wasn't aware of that book so thanks for the recommendation :)

It will indeed, still got to work out the logistics of it all, but some hacking about and a cut and shut is in order I think.

Love that interior by the way, looks really smart. The booster seats are one of those things that nobody else (readers of this thread excluded) will know about, but you will, love things like that.

21 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

Yeah I’ve never thought about that, what a racket that would have been, even with the tip jet noise attenuation they’d managed by then.

7 hours ago, perdu said:

Would hope that the slope isn’t too long, the world needs more Rotodynes!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So where did you get your coach interior and passengers from? I may follow your example in using them if not for my Rotordyne then for something else.

Gondor

On 2/16/2024 at 11:02 AM, TheyJammedKenny! said:

That's an amazingly good result with the passengers and pax seating.  Go all the way and add little seatbelts (neatly folded) to the unoccupied seats!

I may do that when the Airfix 1/24 one comes out 🤪

On 2/16/2024 at 12:00 PM, perdu said:

The book, ordered...

And  if so where did you source the railway carriage interior which will surely become the staple diet for future 1/72 scale airline seating?

1 hour ago, Gondor44 said:

So where did you get your coach interior and passengers from? I may follow your example in using them if not for my Rotordyne then for something else.

Gondor

I got it off Ebay, there are various ones on there so I chose one with seats that looked about the right shape and could be easily cut away. They have more if anyone is interested:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225282760190

Also managed to order some masks as I didn't fancy cutting out 20 ovals!

Bit more progress. I've decided to close the rear doors for ease, although leaving them open may of been easier! I ended up completely filling the joins and rescribed one side so far. Strips of plastic were used inside to strengthen the joins. The fit was iffy. Still a bit of tidying up to do, but I'll do that once the fuselage is joined up:

spacer.png

Also been working on the other wing:

spacer.png

And the big bits so far:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Slowly does it!

Cheers

Neil

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Coming along nicely. :like:

Although it doesn’t look it, the model is a bit of a tail-sitter. I glued some ballast behind the cockpit bulkhead just to keep the nose wheel on the deck.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Heather Kay said:

Coming along nicely. :like:

Although it doesn’t look it, the model is a bit of a tail-sitter. I glued some ballast behind the cockpit bulkhead just to keep the nose wheel on the deck.

Thanks Heather, I hadn't thought of that. I'll stick a couple of bolts up front, they won't be seen as the door is closed.

1 hour ago, woody37 said:

Thanks Heather, I hadn't thought of that. I'll stick a couple of bolts up front, they won't be seen as the door is closed.

This is coming along very nicely Neil.

Regarding the weight issue, to save space and be as unobtrusive as possible, I've been using self adhesive 5g and 10g weights used for weighing down Hornby rolling stock and cycle wheels. They're quite reasonable on Amazon and Ebay. I recently used some for balancing my Airfix Heron and they worked a treat.

Keep up the good work. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mick b said:

Great work Neil, although I doubt BEA would’ve been happy with only 12 passengers; no wonder they were merged with BOAC/BA 😂

Mike

Ha ha, the difference is, I've paid for these to be aboard so they can each have two seats and more 🤣

1 hour ago, cngaero said:

This is coming along very nicely Neil.

Regarding the weight issue, to save space and be as unobtrusive as possible, I've been using self adhesive 5g and 10g weights used for weighing down Hornby rolling stock and cycle wheels. They're quite reasonable on Amazon and Ebay. I recently used some for balancing my Airfix Heron and they worked a treat.

Keep up the good work. 

Thanks Chris, I haven't seen these before so will go and have a look :)

26 minutes ago, Chaz Gordon said:

The 1950's really did produce some amazing design concepts. There is very little today in any field as unusual as half of the designs that were built in that time.

They certainly did, most things look the same these days

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chaz Gordon said:

The 1950's really did produce some amazing design concepts. There is very little today in any field as unusual as half of the designs that were built in that time.

That's because we now know, thanks to them, which ones work.

• Like 1

Hi Neil, just a thought (very rare, let's cherish them!) when I deeply into my S-61N build @Timmas helped me with the search for the actual BA font in use on the Red Tail scheme.

He kindly produced its name (Plantin) then gave me a .png image that I could then open in MS Word and make to the size I needed but importing it as an image file and resizing it, it was invaluable to my then efforts and as it's for the scheme here why don't I give it on to you.

Yertez.

Screen-Shot-2020-05-22-at-10-59-44.png

Obviously import this image into a drawing package if you need to make either the red or the blue match the colours you use on the 'dyne.

I adjusted the blue to be a bit darker when I matched it to the Tamiya X-3 Blue I was painting the upper works in, it looks as if I could have gone even darker but I was happy enough with the effect.

P1010016.jpg

Apologies for the shifted pitot on the photo.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

My Rotodyne book arrived yesterday, a read before club today beckons.

Oh the life of the retired gent huh?

The LMS has the Rotodyne at £18.99, still pondering

• Like 3