WW2 Twins GB Chat

That Kid before Christmas feeling is upon me again. It's the same for every GB. I'm counting the sleeps!

As befits an impatient and greedy kid, I'm ramping up my expectations. I'm going to have a crack at covering a plane from each of the combatants and see how many I can get done over the GB.

So far I've sorted out and have ready to go...

A Dornier 217,

A Camproni CA 313 or 314, not sure which one yet.

An A20 Havoc in Russian markings.

Other possible builds, yet to be dug out of storage include a Heller Breguet 693. That one could be axis or allied, depending on who's side the French were on at the time. I have an old Airfix Hudson that could be pressed into service, and so on and so forth.

Over extending myself?  Of course!

Shotgun tactics brought to a GB near you.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, TonyW said:

As befits an impatient and greedy kid, I'm ramping up my expectations. I'm going to have a crack at covering a plane from each of the combatants and see how many I can get done over the GB.

An example to us all!  :thumbsup: 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Flying Badger said:

What are you going to do from the Brazillian FEB?

Push it right down the list and hope the GB ends before my bluff is called.

• Haha 5

Sorry Tony that was a bit mean of me. :winkgrin:

To be fair with regard to operational units from Brazil during the 2nd World War, there isn't a whole lot of choice. 

Not sure if they'll even have a qualifying twin.... might be some catalinas perhaps?

5 minutes ago, Flying Badger said:

Sorry Tony that was a bit mean of me. :winkgrin:

To be fair with regard to operational units from Brazil during the 2nd World War, there isn't a whole lot of choice. 

Not sure if they'll even have a qualifying twin.... might be some catalinas perhaps?

No need for sorry, I bring it all on myself!

I had a quick look on the internet for Brazilian stuff just now, hoping they used Bolo's or something like that. It's early days yet, something might turn up.

I'm off to the Hannants website now, to see what the decal options are for obscure WW2 airforces. :rolleyes:

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

I have a genuine question, had hoped I could do a Boston iii from the revell p-70 but that kits has a sprue short, what other version could I do from that kit  (my local has it) or should I just get a frog one for the mega gb? https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-03939-lockheed-p-70-nighthawk--1012784

I thought the Revell one included the glazed nose sprue as well? 

At least according to this:

https://hangar47.com/p-70-nighthawk-preview/

Or is there other stuff needed as well? 

28 minutes ago, Flying Badger said:

Catalinas for certain, and B-25's, Venturas and possibly A-20's although I don't know if they didn't get them until after the war.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Catalinas for certain, and B-25's, Venturas and possibly A-20's although I don't know if they didn't get them until after the war.

I can see Brazilian builds overtaking the Airfix 410!

• Haha 5

34 minutes ago, Flying Badger said:

I thought the Revell one included the glazed nose sprue as well? 

At least according to this:

https://hangar47.com/p-70-nighthawk-preview/

Or is there other stuff needed as well? 

Looks like according to the link I'd made an error that the parts are the same after all so If I wanted to do a III I could.....I may have to make a trip tommorow 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

Can we start yet?  Eh?  Eh?  Can we?   But can we, though???  :bounce: 

I've only got one project on the go and it's freakin' me out!!!  :lol: 

Well, technically, as long as you're not past 25% by 23:59 on Friday night... :whistle:

1 hour ago, TonyW said:

That Kid before Christmas feeling is upon me again. It's the same for every GB. I'm counting the sleeps!

A Dornier 217,

Other possible builds, yet to be dug out of storage include a Heller Breguet 693. That one could be axis or allied, depending on who's side the French were on at the time. I have an old Airfix Hudson that could be pressed into service, and so on and so forth.

I thought it was usually Enzo trying to build them all? :hmmm:

18 minutes ago, Col. said:

Be careful when typing 'Brazilian twins' into Internet search engines... :innocent:

And definitely don't look it up on  your work pc ;) 

James

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, psdavidson said:

If only we knew someone who could "accidentally" fire the starters pistol early :hmmm:

Well now, it seems that nearly every GB gets an extension these days, how about a “forward extension”?

AW

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Andwil said:

Well now, it seems that nearly every GB gets an extension these days, how about a “forward extension”?

AW

Might as well scrap the calendar and everyone build whatever they want whenever they want to. We could call it ‘Work in Progress’. 🤔

I’m trying to contain myself having already committed to a mosquito, with a week until I’m home and able to begin, I’ve been inspired by the other aircraft and builds appearing and  I’m tempted to (over) commit and dig out something else (Beaufort, Maryland or Baltimore) from the stash to see if I can get two builds completed within the dates of the GB. There’s also a Bf 110 I’ve been thinking of (with some RAF roundels if it’s permitted)…

Edited by Rafwaffe
  • Like 4

I have a slight problem with this GB. How am I supposed to make any progress on my own build with nearly 80 other builds to keep up to date on? 🙂

George

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, Rafwaffe said:

I’m trying to contain myself having already committed to a mosquito, with a week until I’m home and able to begin, I’ve been inspired by the other aircraft and builds appearing and  I’m tempted to (over) commit and dig out something else (Beaufort, Maryland or Baltimore) from the stash to see if I can get two builds completed within the dates of the GB. There’s also a Bf 110 I’ve been thinking of (with some RAF roundels if it’s permitted)…

Why not over-commit? Most of the rest of us have :cwl: As for the Bf 110, if you can prove it was used operationally rather than just testing/a hack, then sure

7 minutes ago, Geo1966 said:

I have a slight problem with this GB. How am I supposed to make any progress on my own build with nearly 80 other builds to keep up to date on? 🙂

George

It's certainly proving to be an extremely popular GB :D  

James

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 81-er said:

Why not over-commit? Most of the rest of us have :cwl: As for the Bf 110, if you can prove it was used operationally rather than just testing/a hack, then sure

James

Sorry James that I reply here in public instead of writing a PM. I think we should approve the planes, that changed ownership, with their new markings. What does "operational" mean then? Testing a combat proven plane to find the strengths and weaknesses of your opponent, evaluating strategies to overcome those strengths and getting familiarised with them. I think that's being "operational", instead of those planes that only saw test flights in the hands of their builders before or without ever going to combat. And as for being "just a hack", didn't we allow liaison types as eligible too 😉

So in my opinion, roll those yellowbellies in!

V-P

14 hours ago, TonyW said:

A Dornier 217,

I had this idea as well a month ago, but thought better of it. The Italeri Caproni Ca.311 is the only Italian "twin" in my stash, and I'd like to keep it a bit longer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 81-er said:

James

I’m convinced. Given my next GB isn’t until March (I can do this he says)Placeholder created. I’ll play it safe with a Baltimore (I have 2-3 lurking in the stash) just need to identify a suitable aircraft.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marklo said:

A question, does the subject have to have flown during ww2 ie would a legion condor He111 or a class 2 qualify.

We reached an agreement on the SCW during the Axis&Co chat phase that it was a prelude or a dress rehearsal to the big one. The GB period was extended to begin in 1935. Thus Legion Condor, and the opposite air force that I know very little about, are eligible.