Classic Airfix GB: 15th Jun - 3rd Nov 2024

CliffB

42 minutes ago, CliffB said:

Welcome to the Group Build @klr, you seem to have plenty of options to chose from!

With regard to the Banshee and Alpha Jet however, the GB Rules require subjects to have appeared in the 1980 Catalogue (or earlier versions).  From what I can see, the Banshee and Alpha Jet didn't appear in a catalogue until 1981 (Banshee) or 1982 (Alpha Jet).  I'm no expert though (this is the source of my knowledge), so others may know better ;).

Cheers

Interesting. The Arthur Ward book (pretty much the Airfix bible) gives 1980 for both, as does Scalemates, although I doubt both sources agree for all kits. 1980 is also given for both kits on this page, which has opens with the following:

Dates of issue are based on announcements in Airfix Magazine, advertisements, reviews in other magazines and occasionally box styles and kit numbers.

I find that "Vintage" site hard to navigate, partly because it keeps on complaining about my ad-blocker. Also, it's not actually the catalogues themselves that are displayed. I did manage to locate a PDF copy of the 1981 catalogue, and it has the Banshee. Actually, it's not the full catalogue, as it only seems to include new toolings.  I have a distinct memory of reading about the impending Banshee release some time before Christmas, very possibly 1980. Whether that was in the catalogue or (say) a comic I cannot remember.

So although the Banshee might have officially been in the 1981 catalogue, it was almost certainly tooled and announced (and possibly even released) in 1980. I don't have it to hand right now, as it it's in another stash far away. It may not have a year stamp anyway:  I've checked a Heller rebox of the Alpha Jet, and there is no year anywhere on the mold, nor any sign that something was scrubbed out. I know I didn't buy and build the Alpha Jet until 1982-ish, but of course I was just a poor schoolboy then, sometimes having to wait years* before buying a specific kit.

*Or many decades in some cases where I missed the boat ...

On 8/29/2023 at 3:20 PM, MARADER said:

Please, add me. I will build Bristol Mk 32 Superfreighter or that other😉

You are a brave chap, I have just seen a build of this on another site and....'gulp'........really does not cover it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, klr said:

So although the Banshee might have officially been in the 1981 catalogue, it was almost certainly tooled and announced (and possibly even released) in 1980. I don't have it to hand right now, as it it's in another stash far away. It may not have a year stamp anyway: 

I've dug out my Banshee and it says 1980 on the box.

53217207377_cc55b8182e_c.jpgP1060962 by timothy jones, on Flickr

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, TimJ said:

I've dug out my Banshee and it says 1980 on the box.

Having historically fondled the sprues on many occasions, my brain is telling me that the year 1980 is also embossed on one of the inner fuselage halves and am sure we had one built up in the last Airfix GB. I’m not sure if the same GB rules apply, however if so, then the Banshee might fit in. I actually don’t mind this bizarre little period from Aitfix. We had the 2nd generationLanc (I’m still a fan too), 1/48 Stuka and Hawker Fury, CH-53 kits, F-18 Hornet, King George V and a few others I can’t recall. Boxes also transitioned from Type 6 to the little used Type 7 before the advent of showing ‘built’ models displayed on blueprints, that took all the exciting atmosphere out of boxart design. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 3

Thanks @klr @TimJ  and @Rabbit Leader for your comments on the Banshee kit - I think it's clear that it was released in 1980, but after the publication of the 1980 catalogue.

The rules for this outing of the Classic Airfix GB are identical to those originally used in 2018 (although I wasn't involved in their formulation), and these do imply that the definition of a '1980 kit', is one that features in the 1980 catalogue.

However, on reflection, I don't think that the 'catalogue clause' was intended to exclude kits such as the Banshee, but rather to allow the inclusion of other manufacturers' kits that had been re-released by Airfix (as evidenced by their inclusion in an Airfix catalogue).

I'm assuming that we can all agree that the cut-off point should be when Airfix went into liquidation in 1981 - so any kit released by Airfix up to and including 1980 should be allowed (regardless of whether or not it was released in time to make the 1980 catalogue).

If there are no objections, I'll add a clarification to the rules :thumbsup2:

Cheers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

11 hours ago, PLC1966 said:

Firstly I think I will break my STGB virginity with this.

Secondly can I WHIF up on my choice?

Welcome - we'd be honoured to be your 'first time' :winkgrin:.

Yes, WHIFs are allowed, but there are some constraints on the extent to which alternative parts may be used.  The Rules are contained within the first post and are worth a read.

Cheers

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CliffB said:

Thanks @klr @TimJ  and @Rabbit Leader for your comments on the Banshee kit - I think it's clear that it was released in 1980, but after the publication of the 1980 catalogue.

The rules for this outing of the Classic Airfix GB are identical to those originally used in 2018 (although I wasn't involved in their formulation), and these do imply that the definition of a '1980 kit', is one that features in the 1980 catalogue.

However, on reflection, I don't think that the 'catalogue clause' was intended to exclude kits such as the Banshee, but rather to allow the inclusion of other manufacturers' kits that had been re-released by Airfix (as evidenced by their inclusion in an Airfix catalogue).

I'm assuming that we can all agree that the cut-off point should be when Airfix went into liquidation in 1981 - so any kit released by Airfix up to and including 1980 should be allowed (regardless of whether or not it was released in time to make the 1980 catalogue).

Cheers

A dark day indeed, pretty much the end of the "old" Airfix. When General Mills/Palitoy (who had rescued Airfix in 1981) then dropped Airfix in 1985, things got even worse IMHO, at least in terms of new products, but it all went back to the 1981 collapse, So yes, the 1981 liquidation seems like a logical cut-off point,

• Like 1

… I’ll update my previous statement… “I wonder how many Bond Bugs AND SRN1’s we are gonna see within this GB?”.. 

Great news from Airfix… we’ll played 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Haha 4

6 hours ago, Mjwomack said:

And then airfix browsed the messages 😁

Looks like 2 entries from me then 🤣

L

Yes, doesn't it just look as though Airfix DO read some of these pages !  Like several others I have mentioned the SRN1 a few times as a 'wished for' re-release.  Whee !

• Like 3

15 hours ago, CliffB said:

Can I just point out that this is your GB, so you make the rules. :)    I think your comments about the inclusion of the Banshee and the modified cut-off point simply serve to make things more objective and will set the standard for future Classic Airfix GBs ('cos you know there will be more...  :lol:  )

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

Can I just point out that this is your GB, so you make the rules. :) 

Yes, but like all leaders and politicians, I'm only here to serve the will of my people :winkgrin:

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Just looked at my ‘Scalemates Stash’ and I count 43 kits that are eligible to be built here. Choosing a subject is a difficult proposition, although history shows that there’s still every chance I’ll buy something ‘new’ just for this GB… is that insane?? 

Cheers.. Dave (too early to nominate just yet, still got at least three Vintage Classics to add). 

• Like 3

Oh wow - I remember the classic Airfix GB from a few years back - the most fun I've ever had without waking up in a police cell.  Go for it boys & girls.

• Haha 8