Classic Airfix GB: 15th Jun - 3rd Nov 2024

CliffB

28 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Hi folk's does anyone know when the 1/72 Lancaster Dambuster was released ? Not the new tool by the way:D

If the information on Scalemates is true the first Airfix Lanc appeared in 1958 but a Dam Buster didn't arrive 'til 1993

There was definitely a Dam Buster kit out long before then as I recall my dad had built one in the 70s but perhaps it was a Revell kit?

• Like 2

The 1993 Dambuster Lanc still uses the base model parts from Airfix’s 2nd edition 1980 moulded kit, so I believe this is still within the scope and time period of the GB. 
Cheers .. Dave 

• Like 4

I've got the Dambuster kit that comes with it's own dam, can that one be included  ?

Currently I've been collecting some unusual subjects to build.... Well you would be disappointed if I didn't wouldn't you :wink:

Cheers Pat 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

've got the Dambuster kit that comes with it's own dam, can that one be included  ?

Once again Pat, I do believe the base kit for your ‘Dambuster wall’ model is also based on the same 1980 kit as the 1993 Dambuster kit mentioned above (see Scalemates timeline for all possible boxes). I’m not a host for this GB, however would say that you should be good to go with that one too. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Once again Pat, I do believe the base kit for your ‘Dambuster wall’ model is also based on the same 1980 kit as the 1993 Dambuster kit mentioned above (see Scalemates timeline for all possible boxes). I’m not a host for this GB, however would say that you should be good to go with that one too. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Thanks Dave

We just need a grown up to confirm it :wink:

Cheers Pat 

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

We just need a grown up to confirm it :wink:

Hi @stevej60 @Rabbit Leader and @JOCKNEY

I'm not sure that I still qualify as a grown up (I'm in the next 'Victor Meldrew' phase, whatever that's called :winkgrin:), but here's my take as the GB Host.

The relevant rule (which we've carried forward from the last Classic Airfix GB) is this one:

5) Updated versions of pre-1981 kits. Airfix occasionally added extra sprues of parts to update it's pre 1981 kits. All such parts with the exception of wings and fuselages are permitted.

As the later Dambuster Lancaster retains the wings and fuselage of the 1980 kit (notwithstanding different bomb bay parts), it will qualify OK.

Likewise, Pat's dam is good to go :thumbsup:.

Enjoy!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/11/2024 at 9:27 PM, JOCKNEY said:

I've got the Dambuster kit that comes with it's own dam, can that one be included  ?

Currently I've been collecting some unusual subjects to build.... Well you would be disappointed if I didn't wouldn't you :wink:

Cheers Pat 

As long as you can replicate the famous Carling Black Label advert ...

... other alcoholic drinks are apparently available, not that I would really know from any personal experience.

• Haha 7

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone built the 1/72 F4U-1D Corsair kit from Airfix? It is widely believed that it isn't worth the effort nowadays given the various other modern offerings available today. Obviously the Tamiya kits are light years ahead of it as are the Academy and Hasegawa ones.

• Is it accurate in shape?
  • How well does the canopy fit (1989 re-issue - Aircraft of the Aces series)?
  • Is the propeller shape accurate? 

It has no cockpit detail to speak of so that is one black mark against it and the rivets are OTT as well. Thanks for any information anyone can offer.

BM.

29 minutes ago, Blue Monday said:

Has anyone built the 1/72 F4U-1D Corsair kit from Airfix? It is widely believed that it isn't worth the effort nowadays given the various other modern offerings available today. Obviously the Tamiya kits are light years ahead of it as are the Academy and Hasegawa ones.

• Is it accurate in shape?
  • How well does the canopy fit (1989 re-issue - Aircraft of the Aces series)?
  • Is the propeller shape accurate? 

It has no cockpit detail to speak of so that is one black mark against it and the rivets are OTT as well. Thanks for any information anyone can offer.

BM.

BM, I built the kit basically OOB in 2021 - a very quick build but the kit performed well and was a joy for me, see link below. I didn't check any dimensional accuracy just in case I disappeared down a rabbit hole!

Worth considering...

• Like 1

On 2/5/2024 at 11:30 AM, Quailane said:

I have these four "classic" Airfix kits. I'm not sure why the Fouga Magister isn't labeled 'Vintage Classics' because it's pretty crude. I definitely want to build the Fouga Magister. The Savoia-Marchetti SM79 also interests me a lot, but I've heard bad things about this kit. It is the only Airfix 'Vintage Classics' that is always in stock and doesn't quickly sell out here in China like the others all do. Anyone have any opinions on the buildability of these kits?

spacer.png

I think I've settled on the SM.79 and the Fouga Magister. I don't feel like working an a fiddly little 1/72 biplane. I didn't like the boxed decals for the Fouga Magister, so I went looking for options. All I could find available was a set of Israeli markings from Isradecal or just buying another kit from Special Hobby. I really liked the decals from the "Exotic Air Forces" boxing of the Special Hobby kit, but I'm trying to buy less kits lately. For about the same amount of money, I purchased the Isradecal decals. They allow you to make I think any Fouga Magister that was in Israeli service, so lots of options. When the decals arrived, they came with a Heller sheet for a German Magister. I actually like the German markings the best so I think those are the ones I will use!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Quailane said:

I think I've settled on the SM.79 and the Fouga Magister.

Two nice choices and it sounds like you'll have plenty of opportunities to build more Magisters in the future :winkgrin:

Cheers

15 hours ago, airfixpeter said:

My next choice of build has arrived and I do plan to have a working ladder I have done one before that worked

Excellent.  I have one in my stash too, so will be interested to see how all the ropes work with the extending ladder!

Cheers

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Pig of the Week said:

I've got the fire engine somewhere too.. and the Omnibus, I'm sure I've got the Old Bill version of the bus as well.. 

It sounds like you're going to have a busy second half to this year! :winkgrin:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/03/2024 at 11:36, Pig of the Week said:

I found both bus versions anyway, the fire engine's probably in the loft or something, they will all get built at some point tho, I didn't buy them to leave them in bits in their boxes 😁

AND an MG K3 too, now!!😃👍

• Like 3