Spot of the day - Part 7

keefr22

16 hours ago, malpaso said:

a TR7 whilst out cycling .

I saw a Spitfire a while ago at the recycling center and the first thing i thought was you couldn't really find a more suitable place to see it...

• Haha 3

A pale blue 4-door saloon about six cars in front had me puzzled for a couple of miles in one of those odd queues of slow moving traffic that seem to have no cause.

Luckily it turned off, so I could see as I passed it was an L- prefix Toyota Corolla.

Matt

• Like 3

Last weekend I (begrudgingly) head back to Jakarta. I kinda don't want to because my salary has not been paid for 4 months but moral obligation forced me to do so.

TYAS-2621.jpg

Tried the Kia Stinger GT-Line for the first time, this is the only Stinger in Indonesia. Blows my mind how good this car actually is, I am disappointed people would still prefer expensive BMW 4-Series Gran Coupe over this, when the quality of Stinger is decidedly better than many of modern BMWs and the standard equipment level exceeds any 4-series bar the M4.

TYAS-2781.jpg

A Grigio Telesto Huracan STO. That's one way to make grey look shouty and loud.

TYAS-2889.jpg

One of my favourite Ferrari of all time: 458 Speciale, here finished in Giallo Modena. That stripe was supposed to be Blu NART on white, but inexplicably the current owner covered it in red.

TYAS-2907.jpg

Sunday, and wouldn't you know, another 458 Speciale. I think I have spent my entire year stock of luck for this.

TYAS-2931.jpg

This is rather special. One of only 2 964 Carrera RS 3.6 in Indonesia, but this is THE spec that I always wanted. Rubystone Red, bucket seats and silver-painted magnesium alloys. An ex-Hongkong car.

TYAS-2944.jpg

Speaking of holy grail, this one takes the cake. Only 50 Murcielago LP650-4 Roadsters were ever made, all finished in Grigio Telesto with Arancio Atlas accent. This was not my first time seeing this Murc, but this was my first time seeing it in the wild.

Edited by Tyas
typo
  • Like 7

Utterly gorgeous T70s!  Were they both the real thing or was one a Gardner Douglas? Fabulous machines either way.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Neddy said:

Utterly gorgeous T70s!  Were they both the real thing or was one a Gardner Douglas? Fabulous machines either way.

As far as I know there aren't any Gardner Douglas T70s racing. The red car was John Surtees' original car and had various parts of the chassis autographed by John, Jackie Stewart and Tony Sinclair. I've seen the blue car many times and it's original too (or as far as can be). I don't think the T70 is subject to replication in historics in the same way as the GT40 (Gelscoe) is.

• Like 2

Love the Lola T70s.  The first race meeting I ever attended was the Guards Trophy on August Bank Holiday in 1965.  John Surtees won in his T70.

Trevor

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Tyas said:

I kinda don't want to because my salary has not been paid for 4 months

That's really bad, hope you get it sorted soon. Really good pics of some stunning cars as usual though.... :)

Keith

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

A few from today's Goodwood testing.

Oh Jesus. That yellow Lancia Fulvia Berlina and Bizzarrini 5300GT. I'd do unholy things to even be able to see one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tyas said:

Oh Jesus. That yellow Lancia Fulvia Berlina and Bizzarrini 5300GT. I'd do unholy things to even be able to see one.

This Bizza badged as an Iso A3/C. IIRC they were making a short run of continuation cars which if so could be badged as all sorts of Iso/Bizzarini permutations. But yes, of all the cars there, that's the one I'd like to take home.

3 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

This Bizza badged as an Iso A3/C.

From what I can see, it has neither a Bizzarrini badge or a Iso badge on the front. I was trying to figure it out but then the whole Bizzarrini/Iso thing has long confused the heck out of me. :unsure: Is that an E-type behind it?

Steve.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

This Bizza badged as an Iso A3/C. IIRC they were making a short run of continuation cars which if so could be badged as all sorts of Iso/Bizzarini permutations. But yes, of all the cars there, that's the one I'd like to take home.

Yes, there is a continuation of the Bizzarrini 5300 GT called the 5300 GT Corsa Revival. Built in Britain by Ray Mallock, Ltd. (same people responsible for the Chevrolet Lacetti and Cruze WTCC as well as Nissan Juke R and Ferrari 550-based RML Short Wheelbase, a tribute to Ferrari 250 GT SWB), which makes my non-existent inner British kind of proud. GBP1.65million though. I would need to commit fraud and crime against humanity to even be able to pay a deposit for one...

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Tyas said:

Yes, there is a continuation of the Bizzarrini 5300 GT called the 5300 GT Corsa Revival. Built in Britain by Ray Mallock, Ltd. (same people responsible for the Chevrolet Lacetti and Cruze WTCC as well as Nissan Juke R and Ferrari 550-based RML Short Wheelbase, a tribute to Ferrari 250 GT SWB), which makes my non-existent inner British kind of proud. GBP1.65million though. I would need to commit fraud and crime against humanity to even be able to pay a deposit for one...

I've seen the SWB homage up-close and didn't like it; it was very well made but too much of a pastiche for me. But for those of us of a certain age, Ray Mallock will always be associated with those wonderful Aston Nimrods and the Ecosse C2 cars "Reggie" and "Henry". He'd also have been responsible for the 1990 Aston "AMR-2", which supposedly instead inspired that year's Nissan Group C car. Ray was a very active racer at one point and drove the awesome Aston AMR-1 in 1989. More recently I've seen him at Revival (in father Arthur's U2) so he obviously keeps busy! In fact I'd say he's a bit of an unsung hero, being a very competent designer as well as driver. And RML cars have not only competed in Groups C1 and C2, but also in BTCC, WTCC and even the heady heights of hill climbing. Quite a legacy.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Sabrejet said:

I've seen the SWB homage up-close and didn't like it; it was very well made but too much of a pastiche for me. But for those of us of a certain age, Ray Mallock will always be associated with those wonderful Aston Nimrods and the Ecosse C2 cars "Reggie" and "Henry". He'd also have been responsible for the 1990 Aston "AMR-2", which supposedly instead inspired that year's Nissan Group C car. Ray was a very active racer at one point and drove the awesome Aston AMR-1 in 1989. More recently I've seen him at Revival (in father Arthur's U2) so he obviously keeps busy! In fact I'd say he's a bit of an unsung hero, being a very competent designer as well as driver. And RML cars have not only competed in Groups C1 and C2, but also in BTCC, WTCC and even the heady heights of hill climbing. Quite a legacy.

I can understand the problem with the RML SWB. I think GTO Engineering did a better job with their upcoming 'Squalo'. I also remember the days when RML ran at Le Mans with that MG EX257 and later on an MG EX265-branded Lola B08/80 LMP2. Looks rather smashing with that white/Union Jack livery.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

But for those of us of a certain age, Ray Mallock will always be associated with those wonderful Aston Nimrods and the Ecosse C2 cars "Reggie" and "Henry". He'd also have been responsible for the 1990 Aston "AMR-2", which supposedly instead inspired that year's Nissan Group C car. Ray was a very active racer at one point and drove the awesome Aston AMR-1 in 1989. More recently I've seen him at Revival (in father Arthur's U2) so he obviously keeps busy! In fact I'd say he's a bit of an unsung hero, being a very competent designer as well as driver. And RML cars have not only competed in Groups C1 and C2, but also in BTCC, WTCC and even the heady heights of hill climbing. Quite a legacy.

Couldn't agree more.  A consummate all-rounder.  I saw the Datapost Ecosse C2s ("Pat" and "Henry") take first and second respectively in C2 at Brands Hatch in1987.  Ray was driving the class winner.

Trevor

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, klubman01 said:

Couldn't agree more.  A consummate all-rounder.  I saw the Datapost Ecosse C2s ("Pat" and "Henry") take first and second respectively in C2 at Brands Hatch in1987.  Ray was driving the class winner.

Trevor

Pat! I'd forgotten that. There was a real identity to those cars only really seen recently with the 'grello' and 'Rexy' 911s.

One I forgot from earlier this week, a black hot rod type thing in front of me in a traffic jam - number plate said '34 Ford', so I assume that's what it was...!! TBH I'm surprised it hadn't been pulled by plod as the 10 inch or so wide rear tyres had absolutely no mudguards or whatever covering them....!!  

Keith

• Like 4

Driving back home from Kent today there were plenty of interesting classics out in the nice weather.  In no particular order (and, sadly, no images) a beige/brown Mk10 Jaguar, an orange/red MGB GT (wires, N reg) a black Pontiac Firebird, two Caterham 7s (one green, one yellow) and a black A-H 3000.  Plus plenty of mobile chicanes/caravans.

Trevor

• Like 3

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

the 10 inch or so wide rear tyres had absolutely no mudguards or whatever covering them....!!  

As it should be.  🙂