Scrolling glitches?

Evening,

Is anyone else experiencing significant scrolling glitches? I am getting multiple images of posts all overlaying on top of one another when scrolling through a thread-can't really describe it better than that? Just me or a more general issue?

Cheers  Ralph

Not seeing anything at the moment and have checked on 2 different machines and 2 devices. No reports either.

Can you do the old favourite make sure your web browser is updated then clear caches, cookies and browsing history before rebooting. Let us know if it’s still not right after that.

it_crowd_offandon.jpg?ssl=1

• Haha 1

It's not just you Ralph, it seems to be a "feature" of this platform.  I use Firefox 64bit running in Linux Mint, various versions on three different machines, all patched right up to date and kept that way.  Caches and temps cleared on a regular basis, all having no effect.  Not noticeable when scrolling down but if you arrive at the end of a thread (most recent post) and scroll back up the thread, any images will appear then almost instantly disappear and reappear after a second or two, several at once overlaying each other before finally sorting themselves out.  It's a minor annoyance to me, no more, but it could be affecting those using other OS's.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Neddy said:

Not noticeable when scrolling down but if you arrive at the end of a thread (most recent post) and scroll back up the thread, any images will appear then almost instantly disappear

I have the same thing with Firefox (64-bit, always up to date version) on Windows 10 (again, 64-bit, always up to date). Scrolling top to bottom works fine, bottom to top is jerky with the page constantly being scrolled down as a new image is loaded. It's probably the way Firefox renders the vertical space needed that causes it.

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hmmm must be a desktop/laptop thing ? I use cellular exclusively and have no issue’s as described. 

I believe you're right - I've tried it on my cellphone with Firefox, and it's perfectly smooth there.

• Like 1

Desktop W10 and iPad Firefox user here, and no issues. Greg’s recommendations near the top of the thread are a good idea, and you can also add disabling any add-ons you might have running on your browser. These can cause issues on occasion, and can even interfere with each other if you have two that do similar things. 

There’s no reason to suspect it’s the server/software on this occasion as there have been no mentions of it until now (no server-side changes either), although everyone seems to blame the server anyway 😭

reboot, clear caches, etc. first to rule them out 

I've just tried using a fresh install of Chrome with the same result so I suspect it's a simple rendering issue related to graphics card drivers. It isn't worrying me and I tend to regard it as just a glitch in the Matrix.  Until the OP mentioned it I suspected it was a minor problem confined to Linux but either way it isn't a common issue.  I only ever experience it on this site so I think it must be something to do with the way graphics are drawn in from an external host as opposed to being stored within the the platform.

• Like 1

Rendering a website on-screen is completely done on your own device, and seeing as there is also no image hosting on the server that means the chance of corrupted image files is negligible (if at all, it would show in banner, or on the review topics only).

Exactly, which is why I'm not worried about it.  I'm getting it cross two separate PCs but they both run Linux and i suspect the problem in my case may be confined to the way the Linux drivers interact with the OS.

I am inspired by the image of the filmstar attached to alt-92's profile above to ask: "What would Hedy Lamarr do in this case?" [Actress Ms Lamarr was "an inventor who pioneered the technology that would one day form the basis for today's WiFi, GPS, and Bluetooth communication systems", the Internet tells us.] 

• Like 1

On 10/3/2022 at 6:35 AM, Neddy said:

Not noticeable when scrolling down but if you arrive at the end of a thread (most recent post) and scroll back up the thread, any images will appear then almost instantly disappear and reappear after a second or two, several at once overlaying each other before finally sorting themselves out.  It's a minor annoyance to me, no more, but it could be affecting those using other OS's.

Gidday, that happens to me sometimes, when scrolling back upwards. No big deal, just a bit annoying.      Regards, Jeff.

FWIW, I'm using my 64 bit laptop right now, with Windows 11 v. 21H2 and Firefox v. 1055.0.1 .  All updates applied.

Everything seems fine with scrolling so far as I can see, but I don't often scroll back.  I also use a 64 bit Desktop with Windows 11 and Firefox.  I can't say I've experienced any problems with scrolling.

Weird this one, isn't it?  I'll have a play later and test scroling back, just in case.

HTH,

Jonny