1/32 Spitfire Mk.Ia (mid), and (early) from Kotare

Kagemusha

17 minutes ago, Kagemusha said:

The initial release was due to be a late Mk.I, so it's just a matter of time, no doubt as with the Mk.II.

They’re bound to do every variation on a short Merlin engined Spitfire you can think of. And then the same for Seafires. These guys have got to justify their investment and this core mould will be in use for years. And if it’s accurate, why not!! Might be nice if they branched out into Griff Spits too and left the 60 series engined varieties to Tamiya - no point reinventing the wheel if there’s plenty to go at!

1 hour ago, Tea Taster said:

Photo of the Mk.Va instructions of interest.

Sprue 'F' labelled 'Spitfire Mk.I (Late)/Mk.V'

Sprue 'G' labelled 'Spitfire Mk.II/Mk.V

Mk.I Late and Mk.II in the pipeline also?

Nice spotting! Now I’m even more excited…. Must remember to breathe, breathe, breathe…slowly now. 

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/14/2022 at 11:15 AM, Gordon J said:

At the risk of this thread spiralling into a whole other discussion can I ask if the wings look the right shape? To my untrained eye on the Mk.1 they seem a bit too long from leading to trailing edge and short in span and rounded at the tips. It's more pronounced in the photo of the sprues on the table than the built up kit I think.

I'd expect nothing less than absolute perfection from Kotare so maybe it's just the photo.

Maybe it's just me.

Blimey someone with an untrained eye asking if the wings look ok, as to their untrained eye they look off, well to my untrained eye it certainly looks like a Spit 😉 😄

• Haha 1

Speaking to Richard Alexander and the guy who actually designed it at Telford, it’s clear that they will do every short Merlin Spitfire they can with these moulds. It was a very wise investment to produce the best Spitfire kit possible using Wingnut standards. It makes sense to maximise the moulds and probably do Seafires too. I hope they do everything that  Tamiya haven’t in this scale - and there’s no rush!!

• Like 6

For those who are interested, Kotare has updated the instructions on the website. They now look to be complete, and nice bonus are some additional cockpit painting instructions in colour.

I can hardly wait 

Jeff

• Like 6

3 hours ago, MrB17 said:

For those who are interested, Kotare has updated the instructions on the website. They now look to be complete, and nice bonus are some additional cockpit painting instructions in colour.

I can hardly wait 

Jeff

Excited for this release too, not that I need another spitfire, let alone in 1/32, but gotta support the brand, and the kit doesn't disappoint

• Like 3

8 hours ago, MrB17 said:

I can hardly wait 

Jeff

It's a shame they put the instructions up in the form of highly compressed JPEG's, it would be nice if they just put up a PDF like a lot of other companies do.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Tbolt said:

It's a shame they put the instructions up in the form of highly compressed JPEG's, it would be nice if they just put up a PDF like a lot of other companies do.

I saved the JPEG’s, tweaked them to eliminate most of the watermarks, and converted them to a 39 page PDF. I hope to have the real thing soon enough anyway.

Cheers

Jeff

• Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, MrB17 said:

I saved the JPEG’s, tweaked them to eliminate most of the watermarks, and converted them to a 39 page PDF. I hope to have the real thing soon enough anyway.

Cheers

Jeff

That's what I was going to do until I saw how compressed they were with horrible artifacts. Hopefully they will add proper instructions at some point, this is 2022 not 2002.

2 minutes ago, Tbolt said:

That's what I was going to do until I saw how compressed they were with horrible artifacts. Hopefully they will add proper instructions at some point, this is 2022 not 2002.

Screenshots make a big difference. I don’t need to print them, but they look fine on my iPad. The instructions are also an excellent reference for any Spitfire Mk.I modeller! Another excuse to buy a kit, it comes with a free reference book.

Cheers

Jeff

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, MrB17 said:

Screenshots make a big difference. I don’t need to print them, but they look fine on my iPad. The instructions are also an excellent reference for any Spitfire Mk.I modeller! Another excuse to buy a kit, it comes with a free reference book.

Cheers

Jeff

Screen shots can't make an image better than what it is. I'll scan a better copy when I get the kit as I prefer to only keep a digital copy of instructions now days and like to make notes on them about the build.

13 hours ago, Simon Cornes said:

I hope they do everything that  Tamiya haven’t in this scale - and there’s no rush!!

No rush !!??

Simon I’m surprised at such heresy. :D

and I’m not getting any younger. 

• Haha 2

Like most of us ... won't stop me bringing this one to the top of the pile when it gets here, though!

And I hope when Kotare get around to the Mk Vs they'll do a Vc first! We didn't use any Vbs out here ...

• Like 4

Kotare has just sent this email to pre-order customers and those on their mailing list:

Back in September 2021, when we announced K32001 Kotare 1/32 Spitfire Mk.Ia (Mid) was going to be available before the end of 2022, we were pretty sure that this timeline would work out OK. And it very nearly did. But unfortunately it didn’t. Numerous factors have contributed to this, but the main ones are:

1 - The final pre-production samples showed up a few areas that we felt we needed to improve (mostly fit, but some details) before we considered it good enough to release, because you deserve nothing less than the very best quality model that we can provide. Unfortunately, this took a lot longer than we expected.

2 - Various Covid related delays in China which have had some surprising affects to the supply chain etc. In particular is has proven a lot more difficult to get the high quality Cartograf decals delivered from Italy to the factory in China.         

3 - The pre-order response (and the response from our international distribution partners) has proven to be even more enthusiastic than we expected. This is a good problem to have, but the result is a much larger production run than we initially planned for, and this in turn takes a lot more time.    

For all these reasons it now looks like K32001 Kotare 1/32 Spitfire Mk.Ia (Mid) will not now be available to ship until February/March 2023, with stock arriving at international distribution partners in due course. The biggest deciding factor in whether it will be February or March will be how much production can be completed before China closes down for Chinese New Year in mid-January. We hope you will understand.

As an additional reward for our pre-order customers, we have added a free gift of 32P001 Kotare 1/32 Spitfire Mk.Ia (Mid & Late) 3Dprint exhausts for each K32001 Kotare 1/32 Spitfire Mk.Ia (Mid) pre-order (this includes existing pre-orders and future pre-orders right up until the actual release date). This is in addition to the exclusive free Darryl Legg box art print suitable for framing. We expect to have 32P001 Spitfire Mk.Ia (Mid & Late) 3Dprint exhausts available separately later in 2023 with an expected MSRP of US$12.99.

Please note that customers placing pre-orders through www.kotare-models.com are assured to amongst the very first people in the world to receive their K32001 Kotare 1/32 Spitfire Mk.Ia (Mid) model (and art print and exhausts). In almost all cases this will be well ahead of our international distribution partners.

We have also updated the instructions on our website to represent the final print version.
https://www.kotare-models.com/products/k32001-132-spitfire-mkia-mid

Of course, anyone wishing to cancel a previously placed pre-order can do so for a refund. Please simply email [email protected] and we’ll do that for you, but pleased understand that there might be a bit of a delay in processing these requests.

Thanks everyone for your support.

Cheers
Richard

Edited by k5054nz
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Source: https://www.facebook.com/kotaremodels/posts/pfbid032hN7TUchoLit1NXBpTAUrkxBPQRRDRGYk4QAuFTAxsRBZrGwSaMUDXj9ptpVXa1gl

K32002 Kotare 1/32 Spitfire Mk.Va

New model announced at Telford in November 2022 and in development for release in 2023 – Designed and engineered for accuracy, detail and easy assembly – 142 high-quality injection moulded parts featuring 40 all new tooled parts which include optional blind flying instrument panels, open & closed canopies with Martin Baker hood ejection system and composite seats with & without harness detail – Other all new parts include engine driven undercarriage retraction, R3002 IFF Mk.II, fireproof bulkhead, dual height foot pedals, raised rivet radio & accumulator hatches, engine top cowling with revised Mk.II/V glycol tank filler door position, ice guard and port fillets with electrical socket – High quality Cartograf decals for 3 colour schemes from 1941 & 1942 including Douglas Bader’s W3185 D-B “Lord Lloyd No.1” – Fully illustrated instruction manual.

322878686-692186679225180-24966655547695

V.P.

• Thanks 1

Source: https://www.facebook.com/kotaremodels/posts/pfbid02PUHDyVsE6HiTTygvog4VxRbN2SWM94fb8svzTN2je9h7WpbeaS6enw7rKWeaMZWfl

K32004 Kotare 1/32 Spitfire Mk.I (Early)

New model announced at Telford in November 2022 and in development for release in 2023 – Designed and engineered for accuracy, detail and easy assembly – 152 high-quality injection moulded parts featuring 35 all new tooled early production parts which include optional non-armoured canopies with open & closed (raised & flat) hoods and open & closed cockpit doors with ring-pull detail – Other early production parts include ring & bead sights, exposed gun flash suppressors, anti-spin parachute guard, externally mounted Type G22 cine camera, dual tube pitot head, early style triple ejector nozzle exhaust outlets, aerial mast, Watts two-blade propeller, instrument panel, exposed fuel tank with side & rear fairings, extended (uncut) engine cowlings - High quality Cartograf decals for 3 colour schemes from 1938, 1939 & 1940 – Fully illustrated instruction manual. Preliminary box art sketch shown.

323144953-576083541019748-75852058644693

V.P.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...

Nice to see an oxygen bottle finally. You can see how they have incorporated moulded in components, ease of assembly being one of their features.

Looking forward to seeing this soon.

Cheers

Jeff

• Like 1

Looks fantastic, although the separate wing fillets brought back memories of the Matchbox 1/32 Spit 22/24 and not necessarily good memories either. Confident these will fit better though. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, fightersweep said:

Looks fantastic, although the separate wing fillets brough back memories of the Matchbox 1/32 Spit 22/24 and not necessarily good memories either. Confident these will fit better though. 

Too right - will be like chalk and cheese I’m sure!!

• Like 1