HP Hastings MET1, 202 Squadron - Welsh Models 1/144 kit

hi all,

Here is my latest model, which is a HP Hastings MET1 of 202 Squadron, using the Welsh Models 1/144 resin and white metal kit. The decals were created by Britjet, here on BM. They were really top quality and superb to use. Thanks Steve.

On the whole, the kit went together well, but it does need a lot of fettling and filler for the main joints.

Andy

Hastings-RAF-1.jpg

Hastings-RAF-2.jpg

Hastings-RAF-3.jpg

Hastings-RAF-4.jpg

Hastings-RAF-5.jpg

• Like 52
  • Thanks 1

That's truly great work. I understand the Hastings was much appreciated by passengers, as compared to DC-4s and their Canadair Merlin powered equivalents.

14 hours ago, SAT69 said:

That's truly great work. I understand the Hastings was much appreciated by passengers, as compared to DC-4s and their Canadair Merlin powered equivalents.

I love the old Hastings. That has turned out really well. Vacforms always require a lot more work to achieve a good result.

As far as the DC-4 is concerned, the Douglas DC-4 was powered by Pratt and Whitney radials and was unpressurised (the Hastings was unpressurised too). In many ways it was superior to the Hastings (it had a nosewheel for a start).

The Canadair C-4M North Star was a Canadian licence built version of the DC-4 but was pressurised (the DC-4 wasn't) and it did indeed have Merlins. The Royal Canadian Air Force used the C-4M and a number entered airline use - mainly with Trans Canada Airlines and BOAC. BOAC called them Argonauts.

Interestingly, the Handley Page Hermes was developed alongside the Hastings and shared a number of its features. However, it WAS pressurised and also had a nosewheel (in later versions). However, it was not a success and was easilly outsold by the DC-4 and its later development, the pressurised DC-6.

1 hour ago, Eric Mc said:

I love the old Hastings. That has turned out really well. Vacforms always require a lot more work to achieve a good result.

As far as the DC-4 is concerned, the Douglas DC-4 was powered by Pratt and Whitney radials and was unpressurised (the Hastings was unpressurised too). In many ways it was superior to the Hastings (it had a nosewheel for a start).

The Canadair C-4M North Star was a Canadian licence built version of the DC-4 but was pressurised (the DC-4 wasn't) and it did indeed have Merlins. The Royal Canadian Air Force used the C-4M and a number entered airline use - mainly with Trans Canada Airlines and BOAC. BOAC called them Argonauts.

Interestingly, the Handley Page Hermes was developed alongside the Hastings and shared a number of its features. However, it WAS pressurised and also had a nosewheel (in later versions). However, it was not a success and was easilly outsold by the DC-4 and its later development, the pressurised DC-6.

It's a resin kit, not vac form

Andy

50 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

Lovely job on that Andy. I'd love a 1/144 Hastings in Kiwi colours & seeing what you've done with this has me thinking. That looks great.

Steve.

It is worth doing. It just needs some care when assembling, and some filling/sanding. As it is so small, it is nothing onerous, just tedious.

Once again, thanks to everyone for the nice comments

Andy

• Like 1

I love the old Hastings and it is brilliant to see yours wearing the Coastal Met Recce colours,......  you`ve done a lovely job,

Cheers

Tony

On 29/01/2021 at 09:04, stevehnz said:

Lovely job on that Andy. I'd love a 1/144 Hastings in Kiwi colours & seeing what you've done with this has me thinking. That looks great.

Steve.

@stevehnz Bear in mind the Kiwi Hastings were C3s which had the lower-set extended span tailplane.

Steve

• Thanks 1