Hobby Boss 1/48th Tornado GR.1 - 'Foxy Killer'

I can remember going to the International Air Tattoo and seeing this in the static line up and promising myself that I was going to build it soon. Well soon has been stretched a little bit but I finally got it done. The kit had quite a few extras added to it but all worthwhile in my opinion.

• Eduard Cockpit Etch Set
  • Eduard BOZ Pod
  • Eduard Sky Shadow Pod
  • Eduard CPU-123 Paveway II
  • Quickboost Undercarriage Covers
  • Reskit Wheels
  • CMK Martin Baker Mk.10 Ejection Seats
  • Master Pitot & AOA Probes

Painting was achieved with Xtracrylix and Vallejo paints followed by a gloss coat of Klear. Decals came from Kits-World and Xtradecals. Dirty stuff was provided by Flory (Pro-modeller) Dark Dirt and all matted down afterwards with Xtracrylix Matt Varnish.

All in all a thoroughly pleasing build and hope you all enjoy looking as much as I enjoyed building it.

Enough waffle, on with the pictures:

kRkcRaa.jpg?1

uQlpV4L.jpg?1

0hGI6BX.jpg?1

soGORwo.jpg?1

Hs6SFG6.jpg?1

AWN3iBz.jpg?1

zwJRoqb.jpg?1

2SfUyuR.jpg?1

hV8OEtk.jpg?1

wy9NFWT.jpg?1

AtJy2Dd.jpg?1

A9qY5QR.jpg?1

Thanks for looking

Pete

• Like 55

Thanks all for taking the time to comment or like this build, it’s very much appreciated.

On 12/5/2020 at 7:09 PM, Gary Brantley said:

Great looking Tornado Pete!  🍺  What a lovely job you've done on her! :clap2:   Are the wings movable for different poses?    

Hi Gary - firmly fixed forward to stop it sitting on its tail. I forgot to put some nose weight in and it is perfectly ok wings forward, not certain that it would be the same with them back. I want the flaps dropped anyway which rules out any wing sweep.

On 12/6/2020 at 6:51 AM, ColinChipmunkfan said:

Superb model  Pete, the weathering looks most realistic. A poignant reminder, hard to believe how long ago it was.  My great friend was at Tabuk with 16 Sqn.  The aircraft he serviced ZA467 FF did not come back.

Hi Colin - I’m plenty old enough to remember spending many hours watching the news during this conflict and the losses and the horrific footage on captured airmen being shown. Those were the lucky ones because they eventually came home, even if the pile of metal didn’t. Respect to everyone who chooses this as a career.

Pete

• Like 1

I remember that time when all these ex Gulf War birds were in the static displays all over Europe, Tornados, Buccs, Jaguars, Chinooks.. your model brings back good memories, and the build is flawless. 

Kind regards,

Gerben

• Like 1

Thanks again for taking the time to comment.

On 12/7/2020 at 4:21 PM, PhantomLover said:

I remember that time when all these ex Gulf War birds were in the static displays all over Europe, Tornados, Buccs, Jaguars, Chinooks.. your model brings back good memories, and the build is flawless. 

Kind regards,

Gerben

On 12/10/2020 at 11:02 AM, Paramedic said:

Looking great, love those desert brit birds. :) Especially those with cool nose art. :)

I know what you both mean, I have quite a few pictures from airshows at the time of many of the returning aircraft. There’s something about nose art that gives an airframe it’s own unique identity and always nice to model it that way.

On 12/10/2020 at 11:10 AM, gazza l said:

Very impressive work,  nicely photographed. 

gazza l 

Gaza I - this one caused a few expletives as I knocked the lamp off of the breakfast bar that I had put my light tent on and smashed the bulb. It meant that I only had one decent lamp and a little daylight lamp to work with. It wasn’t perfect but hasn’t come out too bad.

Pete

• Like 1