Good grief! Some idiots bought the Hobby Boss Tunnan, and he's going to build it!!

modelling minion

On 2/22/2020 at 9:25 AM, Rabbit Leader said:

After a week of work hell, I’m finally catching up on some of these GB threads. I do say, this kit (and your fine building skills) are definitely on show here Craig and you’re doing a great job convincing many modellers to take a second look at this HobbyBoss Tunnan. You’re doing a great job mate, well done. 

Cheers.. Dave (who’s have trouble finding what page his threads are on!) 

Dave you are being far too kind, as usual.

A bit more progress to report, I have managed to get a coat of Vallejo black primer on for when the metallic finish goes on and it really does make a difference to the end result. Now you may be wondering why I'm doing a NMF on a camouflaged jet, well only the upper surfaces are camouflaged and these sometimes weathered quite heavily from pictures I have seen so a nice metallic finish to weather back to will be really useful. Enough waffle for now here are a couple of pics of her in the over all black finish;

spacer.png

spacer.png

I like how she looks in the black, very sinister!

When the paint is fully cured I shall polish it a bit before adding the various metallic shades, though I'm on nights next week so am unsure of how much work I shall get done on her. I'm also having to type this whilst holding my breath as our Labrador has got the worst smelling farts ever this afternoon and has managed to stink out the entire house, kind of impressive in a disgusting way!

Thats it for today so as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 11
  • Haha 3

Not much progress I'm afraid but I have manged to get the first metallic coat on which I know id a bit too shiny for an operational Tunnan but she will be receiving some other metallic colours and will get a matt coat after the decals are applied, this is how she looks at the minute;

spacer.png

spacer.png

Hopefully I will get some more done over the next few days.

Thanks for looking in and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 17

That's a cracking Metallic finish you've applied there Craig.  Don't go too heavy on the flat coat, it would be a shame to lose some of that excellent silver lustre. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Col. said:

Certainly looks like you've got a good metalic finish there.

42 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

gosh that's a nice finish!!!

23 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

That's a cracking Metallic finish you've applied there Craig.  Don't go too heavy on the flat coat, it would be a shame to lose some of that excellent silver lustre. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Cheers guys much appreciated.

I've been looking at pictures of Tunnans and there does seem to be quite a variation of shades on the aircraft so I've just started the task of masking off some panels that will remain in the shinier shade, it may take some time!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Cheers guys much appreciated.

I've been looking at pictures of Tunnans and there does seem to be quite a variation of shades on the aircraft so I've just started the task of masking off some panels that will remain in the shinier shade, it may take some time!

Quite right Craig, though I may have overdone it a bit on mine.

Pete

• Thanks 1

I've spent the past few days masking panels and applying different metallic shades (about 4 of them) and am now happy with the result, its not perfect and I have used a bit of modellers license but it does give the look of a Tunnan with their various metallic shades, have a look at the pics and let me know what you think;

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

If you guys are happy with hoe she looks then the next job will be to mask off the underneath and start applying the camo on the upper surfaces, once I've figured out which colour to use that is.

I don't know if any of you out there can find any info but I have found that there was at least one of these beauties painted in a temporary winter scheme with white patches over the green camo and was wondering if any of you can come up with some decent images of it? There is a pic in the Nordic Airpower series book on the Tunnan (on my wish list!) but I have struggled to find any more.

As usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received, as is any help with the winter camo pics.

Craig.

• Like 15

Hi Craig,

I've seen "Olivgrön 325" given as the upper colour in question (indicated by Moose Republic Decals and who am I to argue with them). MRP (MRP-217) does this colour.

Markus

Edited by Shorty84
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Shorty84 said:

Hi Craig,

I've seen "Olivgrön 325" given as the upper colour in question (indicated by Moose Republic Decals and who I am to argue with them). MRP (MRP-217) does this colour.

Markus

Thanks Markus, I'll see if I can get hold of some.

Hi, I can send you the winter camo oic, as well as other  weathered ones.

The nordic airpower series I really recommend, I also have the "yellow series " one from Mikael Forslund. No more winter camo photos though!

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, trickyrich said:

some idiots done an awesome job with that paint work!! It has the great mix-n-match work you see on NMF's well done! :thumbsup:

18 hours ago, Col. said:

That's a cracking metalic finish Craig :speak_cool:

14 hours ago, Greg Law said:

Well done that man. Excellent metal finish.  I was wondering before how the metal coat would hold up to the masking.

8 hours ago, Christer A said:

Now that is a very nice metal finish!

7 hours ago, Hewy said:

A fine job craig ,move on please

Thanks guys your comments are very much appreciated, I shall make a start on masking the undersides.

4 hours ago, exdraken said:

Hi, I can send you the winter camo oic, as well as other  weathered ones.

The nordic airpower series I really recommend, I also have the "yellow series " one from Mikael Forslund. No more winter camo photos though!

Cheers Werner and thank you for the pics from the books you sent me.