Building the 1/144 Scale Authentic Airliners MD-11

Finally took the plunge last fall and spent a small fortune on a 1/144 scale Authentic Airliners MD-11, and I am so glad I did...worth every penny! I began the build soon after arrival, and wanted to bring everyone in on the process. This entire build is being chronicled carefully, as I will eventually write a detailed booklet as to "how I built this." So jump in, and here we go.....

Upon opening the box, the kit is carefully packed and separated for easy inventory. Though my kit was packed well, it still had a couple of minor "rashes" that required some small repair, but nothing that was a show stopper. I did contact Kurt at AA with the complaints, and he promptly answered with an offer to replace anything that was defective or not to my satisfaction. Much appreciated, and a true demonstration of the quality that the kit represents. 

The fuselage is one cast piece, and very heavy, with enough nose weight not to cause worry when it sits on the metal main landing gear. The wings and horizontal stabilizer are also one piece, with acute details that are precisely cast. There are a few small parts, such as flap hinge fairings, the hot and fan sections of the engines, all landing gear struts and actuators, and two small clear nav lights for the wings. Not to worry...they ARE different sizes to match the mismatched cuts in each wing. I did not use these, but rather fashioned my own nav light lenses. There are large flashings on the tail piece and the hot and fan sections that need trimming with a sharp cutting tool. Wear a mask when cutting or trimming or sanding! The dust from the resin can be most irritating.

She's being finished in the "widget" livery, as one of the earliest MD-11 deliveries to Delta Air Lines. I'm using Tamiya gray surface primer, Tamiya TS-26 white paint, Alclad black primer, Duraluminum and Chrome finishes, 26 Decals, and Authentic Airliners MD-11 detail, 3D windows, raised detail sheets, and high shine metallic decals. 

At the completion, she'll be posted in the Ready For Inspection forum, with a detailed history of the real airplane.

Hope you enjoy.....

IMG_0140IMG_0151IMG_0148

I began with the trimming and securing of the tail piece. Really a good fit together, after drilling a small trench to hold the epoxy. 

IMG_0168IMG_0200

IMG_0218

Then came putty and sanding to make it all flush.....

IMG_0294

IMG_0372IMG_0464IMG_0472

Next the engine work...

IMG_0407IMG_0477IMG_0245IMG_0486IMG_0506IMG_0557IMG_0564IMG_0679IMG_0697IMG_1026IMG_1152IMG_1215

During the process of working with the hot sections, one of the small tabs broke off, so I had to fashion a new one. Small and tedious work...

IMG_0391IMG_0382IMG_0401

Once painted and assembled, I did NOT like the result, so I stripped the engines down, and started over....

IMG_1126

IMG_1223IMG_1272IMG_1273IMG_1292IMG_1299IMG_1301IMG_1318

And the engines finished....

IMG_1328IMG_1330IMG_1329

And assembling the tail....

IMG_0308IMG_0616IMG_0633IMG_0678IMG_1017IMG_1021IMG_1151IMG_1211IMG_1220

The winglets, wings, and horizontal stabilizers....

IMG_0566IMG_0567IMG_0771IMG_1141IMG_1160IMG_1148

Small parts and gear...

IMG_0671IMG_0675IMG_0790IMG_0794IMG_1164IMG_1140

Fuselage work...

IMG_0684IMG_0772IMG_1001IMG_1002IMG_1011IMG_1213IMG_1221

Had to paint the nose because I knew for certain that the decal provided would not fit easily without cutting and coaxing, and would probably end up wrinkled anyway....

IMG_1259IMG_1341

This weekend I've spent applying decals. I think she looks pretty good with her "clothes" on....

IMG_1354IMG_1355IMG_1357IMG_1349IMG_1353

I'll post more soon...she coming along nicely. All that's left at this point is to attach the wings, horizontal stabilizers, gear, engines, then the photo etched parts. I can see the finish line!

Edited by Challenger350Pilot
Insert Photos
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Hi Paul,

This is coming along nicely, it's such a beautiful kit and like you say worth every penny! Anybody who has struggled with their Mikro Mir MD11 should buy one of these instead. Mine is nearly all done but has been in a box on the shelf waiting for livery inspiration! I'm thinking it'll probably be Martinair Cargo.

I noticed you use a brushable filler, how long does this take to dry? Do you know what advantages there are over using Milliput?

I wish I could achieve such a good finish with Alclad it 's probably much quicker than my High Shine Metallic Decal method!

Looking forward to seeing this in RFI soon.

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 1

Hello Paul,

another stunning build from from you here! 👍 I love that all the things done with a higher level of accuracy, and a painting job is superb. Looking forward for your future updates.

Cheers! 🙂

7 hours ago, Turbofan said:

I noticed you use a brushable filler, how long does this take to dry? Do you know what advantages there are over using Milliput?

I wish I could achieve such a good finish with Alclad it 's probably much quicker than my High Shine Metallic Decal method!

Hi Ian;

Thank you for your kind words. Yes, I do use the brushable filler sometimes. Its good for very small jobs, and often requires a few applications to fill enough. I generally let it dry for about 24 hours before attempting to sand. As for Milliput...I have never used it before, so I cannot give an intelligent comparison. As for the Alclad...I almost have the knack for it...almost. There are a couple of good You Tube instructional videos on how to prepare a surface, apply the primer, and then the finish. I have learned through trial and error...mostly error. What I have learned is that preparation of the surface is paramount...smooth, sanded with fine grit, almost to a shine. The primer is important to achieve the finish you are intending. Black works well for the darker finishes, and white works well for the brighter ones. I have also found that spraying it in abundance will hide the "sandy" look, and achieve the smooth consistent finish...I did this on the MD-11. Key to note is that when applying decals onto Alclad, that water and solutions can stain it easily. I have resolved to not use solutions and only rinse and wipe clean the soapy water from the decal...works well to hide the stains and to remove them altogether. There have been recommendations to seal the Alclad with an acrylic finish, such as Future, but I have not done this.

what a great bit of 1/144 civil modelling you have going on there - its good to see one of these big lumps of resin being assembled. Your model looks superb.

I am put off buying from AA for 2 reasons myself. Firstly, I prefer kits 1/144 kits that have a few more parts to actually assemble and battle it out with (take the Eastern Express MD-11 for example) and secondly, AA never have stock of their 747-400 Rolls Royce kit when I consider lashing out on it - in fact, 90% of their product range is presently not available this week which does them no good at all as I was paid on Friday and have the spare cash to splash out had they had stock.

I love the cockpit decal you have used - and those engines look stunning. Keep up the great work, can't wait to see her in her final glory

11 hours ago, Gimme Shelter said:

I am put off buying from AA for 2 reasons myself. Firstly, I prefer kits 1/144 kits that have a few more parts to actually assemble and battle it out with (take the Eastern Express MD-11 for example) and secondly, AA never have stock of their 747-400 Rolls Royce kit when I consider lashing out on it - in fact, 90% of their product range is presently not available this week which does them no good at all as I was paid on Friday and have the spare cash to splash out had they had stock.

I put off buying this one in particular for a long time, mainly because of the price. I kept debating whether to move ahead with the EE MD-11 or this one, and finally decided, what the hey...so I jumped in with both feet and here she is. The build has been a unique challenge because of the resin. New (to me) techniques, having to fashion a couple of broken parts, careful sanding and shaping, surface prep and painting. And this thin weighs a ton. Good thing it comes with metal gear. I too enjoy tackling lots of little parts, and will soon acquire an EE MD-11 for that reason. The Authentic Airliners kits certainly do not compare with anything else; they are in a class of their own...sort of a "boutique" kit, as I have read a reference to them. I feel your frustration with ordering from AA as well. I'm waiting for the DC-8-50 and B720 to roll around. I might suggest that if you want something specific, to email Kurt and ask him when he might be running a new batch; he'll be honest with you and tell you when or why not. The AA models are truly precision works...I certainly have enjoyed the different challenges. 

Really impressive work there Paul. Thanks also for the helpful build tips. I haven't seen the AA MD-11 in the flesh (so to speak) but this is definitely the next best thing. 

I have a half-built Mikro Mir one festering in the loft but realistically I'm never going to finish it and seeing your fantastic result tempts me to bin it in favour of the AA kit the next time Kurt has them in stock. I just have to finish a Boeing 757, a Trident 1E and a BAC 1-11 before I can justify sending him any more money!

Seeing a model standing on its own legs for the first time is always a good moment especially when it's as gorgeous as yours.

:goodjob:

Dave G

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

I have a half-built Mikro Mir one festering in the loft but realistically I'm never going to finish it and seeing your fantastic result tempts me to bin it in favour of the AA kit the next time Kurt has them in stock. I just have to finish a Boeing 757, a Trident 1E and a BAC 1-11 before I can justify sending him any more money!

Thanks, Dave, for your kind words. I have read lots of posts in a few forums that kind of down play the Mikro Mir and EE MD-11 kits. I have not seen one before, but I've seen pictures. I understand that some of the parts are not accurate, the engines are not accurate, and the big one is that the wing assembly mating to the fuselage assembly can be a real challenge. I'll eventually acquire one...I actually enjoy the challenge. Be encouraged to continue yours...never "bin" one...keep it, finish it, or use it for spares! All the best! Thanks for perusing the post here. 

1 hour ago, phil1 said:

this is absolutely sensational! genuinely overawed by this one. congratulations on an amazing build

Thank you, Phil. I really appreciate your kind words. She's actually finished, and I am about to post her on RFI. You can see her there in all her glory. I'll put a link here so you can go directly to the post.

1 hour ago, ForestFan said:

I’m not an airliner builder, but wow!

You should try it! Its ALL I do, and have ever done. With a few exceptions when I was very young. The challenges in building airliners is unique, and they post completely different journeys than do any other model.