The Flight of the Phoenix, scratchbuilt, 1/72nd.

5 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Brilliant stuff I do like this.  Great scratch work and a very interesting machine. 

Keep up the good work. 

All the best 

Chris 

Chris, you are more than kind.

I'll quote you when my wife is back and sees the droplets of paint -again- on the counter 😉

Cheers

• Haha 1

Was really hoping you were going for the O-47 based bird, but any of the aircraft from the movie would look a treat, especially with your skill.

I'll tell you what, you get me some plans and I may just put my O-47 to use...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tweener said:

Was really hoping you were going for the O-47 based bird, but any of the aircraft from the movie would look a treat, especially with your skill.

I'll tell you what, you get me some plans and I may just put my O-47 to use...

Hum, I think I will pass.

The prospect of working on an unattractive military plane or having to make plans for you does not sound (I hope understandably) exceedingly appealing.

But hey, be my guest! do an Internet search and

Be my guest

• Like 1

Certainly! I know when I looked last plans eluded me but I know I have some nice photos in a book up on the shelf. Maybe I'll add them here just for the sake of it / if you don't mind.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

Can’t remember seeing the original film but interest piqued as a result of your build I’ve ordered a copy.

Cheers

Dennis 

Well, Dennis, it's not Bergman or Fellini, but it's entertaining if you allow for the time lapsed.

Still, perhaps more substance than most current movie productions.

6 hours ago, Moa said:

(On the background of the image) Vertical tail on and smoothing the wing-fuselage seam:

IMG_7990+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Seeing this, I lost interest in the phoenix II(I)? The aircraft in the foreground intrigues me, Lockheedy but which, please share & tell more.. :) 

33 minutes ago, Moa said:

Well, Dennis, it's not Bergman or Fellini, but it's entertaining if you allow for the time lapsed.

Still, perhaps more substance than most current movie productions.

Sounds like a long winded way to say aviation classic & way better than the remake. :D 

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Seeing this, I lost interest in the phoenix II(I)? The aircraft in the foreground intrigues me, Lockheedy but which, please share & tell more.. :) 

Hi Steve:

It's a parallel build, a deep conversion of Italeri's Fiat BR.20:

I like to work in parallel builds, I have also a Lockheed Air Express and a Timm trainer going on here at Britmodeller (four models total) just waiting for their decals.

I am a practitioner of Squizobuilding ™

😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m even later than Terry - but equally impressed.  You make it look easy, which is the mark of a good modeller.  Well done sir!

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

I’m even later than Terry - but equally impressed.  You make it look easy, which is the mark of a good modeller.  Well done sir!

Like everything else, it actually becomes easy after you have done it many times.

You stress a very important point:

Modelers suffer from a number of maladies. Lack of time, lack of space, lack of resources, lack of information and so on. But a particularly paralyzing one is modelers' almost pathological fear of making mistakes. Somehow, a culture of "finding mistakes" and pointing them out permeates some areas of the hobby. Modelers therefore are many times very conservative in general and stay on the path, least somebody point out a fault. 

Skills, we all know this, are unfortunately not really obtained by talking about skills, looking at other models, or reading books or magazines (many other things can be learned that way, though). But skills are learned by doing, and (it is part of it, sorry) making mistakes. Usually lots of them. The more you make, the more you learn.

It isn't magic or a gift. It's plain and simple work. Many times frustrating, but ultimately rewarding.

Please modelers: don't be afraid. DO! You will most likely not succeed at the first attempt, but you will succeed if you persist.

I love this Kurt Vonnegut quote (citing from memory):

"-How do you know that it is a good painting?

-Well, you look at a million of them, and then you know."

Edited by Moa
to correct typo
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Moa said:

a deep conversion of Italeri's Fiat BR.20:

I knew that. :unsure: In fact I hadn't looked in on that one for a while & seen it with its paint on, the nose flash made me think Lockheed Electra type but not quite, best I take myself back over there & catch up. :)  You're a hard man to keep up with. ;) 

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
  • Haha 1

You make some excellent points Moa. Firstly, if people are too frightened to have a go, then they will never succeed. Secondly, in my experience, the individuals that delight in picking peoples' models to pieces tend to be those who never build a model or if they do we never get to see their work. This particularly makes me angry as they run the risk of putting newcomers to the hobby, or those who feel they might like to try advancing their skills off completely.

Martian 👽

• Like 5

Moa, I totally agree.  Like all of us, I’ve made some howlers - like melting Ark Royal’s flight deck a year or two ago in a build on this forum [a build that might return soon, by the way].  As you say, that’s how you learn; in the melted deck instance, it taught me that with persistance & patience almost any mistake can be rectified - which made me MORE confident rather than less, despite / because of the horrible initial error.

As for the critics (of whom there are refreshingly few on this particular forum, I find - or perhaps they just don’t bother with Seakings!), I think it’s the joylessness that irks me most.  We all do this for fun, after all.  Martian is right about the apparent correlation between picky critic and non-builder, but there’s another type; the self-appointed “expert” on such-and-such a topic, who actually knows almost nothing (but transmits with enough bluster for most people not to challenge him - & it always is a ‘him’).  My favourite example pre-dates my return to modelling.  I met a bloke at a party (he was pursuing a friend of my wife’s - happily without success) in Dorset who reckoned he knew all about helicopters in general and SAR in particular.  He persisted in spouting complete rubbish even after someone had gently pointed out to him that I was (at the time) a serving SAR pilot.

In short, there are lots of prats around.  Ignore them and give it a go.

• Like 6

Good point Crisp. Sadly I ran into a couple of those morons at Old Sarum the other week, know alls that know nothing. Had I not been determined to have a good day at my favourite show, I'm pretty sure they would have found out what it is like to get on the wrong side of me.

What I particularly hate is the discouragement to people who are doing their best to produce the best model they can. About thirty years ago  when I had only just started doing shows, I was subjected to an ongoing rant about a small inaccuracy that was far too late to correct on a model I was building which totally ruined my enjoyment of both the project and the show and the model was never finished as a result. That day still leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Sorry about the thread drift Moa but I think you raised a really important point with your post that needs addressing. These scumbags (a more appropriate term would get me a ban) should have no place in our hobby. Constructive criticism is to be welcomed but not destructively slagging off of some-ones efforts. In my book anyone who has the courage to take the step of putting their models on public display are worthy of respect, they certainly have mine as I remember how daunting I found the experience when I began.

Rant over.

Martian 👽

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

In short, there are lots of prats around.  Ignore them and give it a go.

Great points @Moa and @Martian Hale and very well summed up Crisp! Since joining this community in earnest I feel I have ventured more and gained much more from lots of encouragement and simply by having a go. 

Nuff  said!

Terry

Edited by Terry1954
  • Like 4

This environment (BM) we all share is very welcoming, and that's a great, nurturing quality.

Modeling learning is perhaps not that different than "real" education or parenthood. A nice word at the right time, encouragement rather than blunt criticism, a good word here and there, I guess produce in the long run good results.

The point that I would like to stress is that modelers shouldn't feel cohibited or discouraged.

There is no worst model than the one that is never built 😉

And, as it was pointed out above, this is about fun, after all.

• Like 6