The Flight of the Phoenix, scratchbuilt, 1/72nd.

Since the windshield rows for the "passengers" on the wing are a complete aerodynamic nonsense and would have completely disrupted the airflow making the wing catastrophically inefficient, they were located only on the static prop. The flying prop had -very cleverly- only the metal frames and no "glass". One flight was attempted with mannequins, but did not work, so silhouettes were fabricated and mounted on the wing for some scenes.

So one of the choices is the put normal figures to depict the mannequins' attempt, or to make paper silhouettes to depict those used on actual footage.

Thanks to my dear friend, Volkania's Ebilest Genius Sönke Schulz, I now posses 1/72 figures that may solve the issue. Although there are no really prone ones, may be they could be modified to be posed so. Mi color printer went to printers' heaven, so the silhouettes are not an option right now.

The figures (some kind of orgy seems to be going on at that plastic bin):

IMG_8038+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Edited by Moa
to correct typo
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Moa said:

Haven't you given me enough nightmares recently?

Martian 👽

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, Martian Hale said:
  9 hours ago, Moa said:

That's definately after 9pm viewing!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

That's definately after 9pm viewing!

Its the two at the bottom of the picture that have me worried. It would be interesting to hear @CedB 's comments on the orgy.

Martian 👽

• Haha 2

IMG_8162+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Wait, not so fast: the flying prop was conceived as a 3/4 scale rendition of the static one, so the figures mounted on it where smaller than life size. Therefore I got some small railway figures that will also have to be modified. The work of the serious scratchbuilder is never done.

Engine gills in place:

IMG_8165+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 7

The base color is applied. The skids, legs and cabanne struts were painted on a dark and drab zinc chromate-like hue, so they were not covered here. The plane in movie stills shows either a metal finish or an ivory tone with almost imperceptible hints of  orange and greenish hues.
To apply to overcoat I will have to decide first on the proper hue. Red trim is seen on nose and tail leading edges (the plane flew unpainted at the beginning):

IMG_8166+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Looks really good Moa. I recall in the film they supposedly made this out of parts from the crashed C119. I hope those parts have not come from @TheBaron's Packet!

Terry

😉

No danger of that. The static prop was made of the packet, this is the flying prop, made of pieces of a C-45 Expeditor and a Texan (plus the rest).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The supports for the windshield panes are made. They were for show on the flying prop, the only real windshield pane was the one for the pilot, the rest was "pretend". They will be painted and added at the end, so they don't disturb masking, further painting and decal application:

IMG_8184+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Masks for the vertical stabilizer are drawn and cut. The stab leading edges will be dealt with with decals:

IMG_8186+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Edited by Moa
  • Like 2

I find the idea of the sylouettes just great!!!

If this was the configuration used for the film, then go for it! It'll make her even more realistic!!!

And while you're dedicated to movies stars, for the future...may I suggest something from this?

vRsEXfg.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Moa said:

😉

No danger of that. The static prop was made of the packet, this is the flying prop, made of pieces of a C-45 Expeditor and a Texan (plus the rest).

Perhaps your next project might be the static prop!

Terry