The Flight of the Phoenix, scratchbuilt, 1/72nd.

5 hours ago, massimo said:

I find the idea of the sylouettes just great!!!

If this was the configuration used for the film, then go for it! It'll make her even more realistic!!!

And while you're dedicated to movies stars, for the future...may I suggest something from this?

vRsEXfg.jpg

I don't build in 1/48th, but for those who do (from Ebay, not related to me in any way):

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by Moa
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Courageous said:

The pic in post #96 seems to indicate 'wheels' fitted to the bottom of the skids... just asking.

Stuart

I can't answer the question for Moa - whatever the question is - but the flying prop had wheels so it could take off and land. I'd be stunned if Moa didn't have these on the model!

She looks even better with paint, fine work!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Courageous said:

Nice to see some going on the girl.

The pic in post #96 seems to indicate 'wheels' fitted to the bottom of the skids... just asking.

Stuart

Yes, Stuart (and thanks, Zac) the flying prop (a real plane made to shoot the flying sequences for the movie and FAA-approved, the Timm-Tallmantz Phoenix P-1) did have wheels. The first pair was more concealed in an attempt to better resemble the static prop, the second (bigger) pair was installed at Mantz' request to facilitate take off and landings. I explained all that at some point above, and even posted a photo with the two sets of wheels. The axis is located immediately below the bottom of the "skids". I am waiting for the model's paint to completely dry before adding them. Photos posted here of the model's parts also show the tailwheel.

No matter how much I write about it, there seems to be a general confusion about the static and flying props, two very different planes that look just somewhat similar at a very quick glance.

To avoid confusion, I explained that fact at the very beginning of the post, adding that after the crash of Mantz' plane (and Mantz' demise) an 0-47 was "adapted" to finish the shooting of the flying sequence, that is as similar (not) to the static prop as some presidents resemble what a real president should be.

I take the opportunity to thank the British people for the export of John Oliver, who we enjoy here to no end.

Cheers

• Like 4

The Texan kit propeller lacked the counterweights, so two are fabricated punched from a very old Mattel "metal" vac sheet:

IMG_8267+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

I started to paint the figures of the pilot (Paul Mantz), his flight companion Bobby Rose and a spectator:

IMG_8260+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Before decaling, the last details go on: the "pretend" window frames used on the flying prop (although a real windshield was used for the pilot).
The 1/72 figures of Mantz and his flight companion Bobby Rose behind him are complemented by the silhouetted figures used to film the flying sequences:

IMG_8271+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

The spectator:

IMG_8272+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Now ready for decaling.

Edited by Moa
  • Like 10