"In the year I was born" GB Chat

I have a plan involving the refrbishment of a Frog HMS Undine kit originally built some 40+ years ago.

Intention is to waterline it, add the Atlantic Models etch set for it and to alter the bridge to hopefully match one of its sister ships that was involved in an incident.... On the day I was born no less!

IanJ

• Like 2

Wow @Bonhoff, not only have you found a subject from the year you were born, but have even been able pin one down to the actual day you arrived!! Well done that man. This should be great and I wish you all the best come 03 August... my god, that’s not very far away is it? 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Davek72 said:

This looks like fun and I would love to join.  1972 for me and I have absolutely no idea what to build....

Welcome aboard Dave and I’m sure an inspiring modelling subject from 1972 will pop into your head not before too long! 

Cheers.. Dave 

Ready for takeoff:

2-DC7-B82-F-93-DA-4914-9-C0-B-71-F7-DCB1

... or should that be “fit to drop”? Thank you, Kingkit, 2003 boxing, all there, decals in good nick.

For a while I did consider a B-52/X-15 combo before the price went silly on Ebay, but on reflection I think I prefer to stay married!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

An excellent choice @AdrianMF and I’m sure it will be a nice change from all this Frog kit bashing we’ve both been up too over the last few months. That X-15 might even be your equivalent of shake ‘n bake! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

I have just noticed that this GB will start on my birthday!

Ray

PS, still trying to figure out what to do from 1957. Had planned on a Fairey Rotodyne (maiden flight November 6th 1957), but I was going to do it in 'what-if' colours. I am not sure if that would be allowed.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ray S said:

I have just noticed that this GB will start on my birthday!

Ray

PS, still trying to figure out what to do from 1957. Had planned on a Fairey Rotodyne (maiden flight November 6th 1957), but I was going to do it in 'what-if' colours. I am not sure if that would be allowed.

Thy who knocks back a potential Rotodyne build will not only live to regret it but probably earn the wrath of the entire BM membership! 

The 1957 first flight link is enough for me to want to see this WHIF kit built. Go for it Ray! 

Cheers (and happy birthday for the 3rd).. Dave 

• Like 2

On 7/26/2019 at 10:35 AM, Rabbit Leader said:

Thy who knocks back a potential Rotodyne build will not only live to regret it but probably earn the wrath of the entire BM membership! 

The 1957 first flight link is enough for me to want to see this WHIF kit built. Go for it Ray! 

Cheers (and happy birthday for the 3rd).. Dave 

Top reply Sir!

It would be a 'credible' What if, and colourful, like other aircraft that had been painted that way.

Thanks for the go-ahead,

Ray

• Like 2

Just letting everyone know that this GB is now open to allow you to announce your build nominations.

The official start date is Saturday 03 August, so not long to go now before we can all celebrate our years of birth in model form. 

Cheers and enjoy... Dave 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rabbit Leader said:

. . .

The official start date is Sunday 03 August, so not long to go know before we can all celebrate our years of birth in model form. 

error; Sunday is the 4th, the 3rd is this coming Saturday

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

error; Sunday is the 4th, the 3rd is this coming Saturday

Whoops!! - Saturday it is BK.. thanks. 

I'll let you start one day early now! 

Cheers.. Dave 

28 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Funny thing is my Birthday is August 5th, and I will be purchasing my kit after the start of the build.

Dennis

How are you going to purchase your kit after you start building Dennis? Only joking, I think I know what you mean.. Happy birthday for the 5th! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Whoops!! - Saturday it is BK.. thanks. 

I'll let you start one day early now! 

Cheers.. Dave 

you may let me but you'll be lucky if I get started a day before the end!

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

you may let me but you'll be lucky if I get started a day before the end!

Never too late BK.. even for you! 

I will certainly be entering something for 1952 (a missing year) and am currently looking at the Flightglobal Archive for a suitable subject, My entry will have to wait as I already have 5 on-going kits in the Frog Squad GB and 4 in for D-day.

Ideally the submission will have some link to Eastern England.

18 minutes ago, Paul821 said:

I will certainly be entering something for 1952 (a missing year) and am currently looking at the Flightglobal Archive for a suitable subject, My entry will have to wait as I already have 5 on-going kits in the Frog Squad GB and 4 in for D-day.

That's fine Paul and with nine builds on the go I feel your pain! 

Cheers,.. Dave 

I‘m tempted to join in on this, really like the idea. The year is 1990... so going through my stash I have an Arleigh-Burke Destroyer but DDG-51 had its keel laying in ‘88 and was launched in ‘89... and entered service in 91. But I could build it as USS John Paul Jones (DDG-53) which had its keel laying in 1990.

I wanted to build that ship anyway because of the Movie Battleship.

Edited by USS_ESSESS
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, USS_ESSESS said:

But I could build it as USS John-Paul Jones (DDG-53) which had its keel laying in 1990.

I think you've just answered your own question there @USS_ESSESS. Sounds like a top subject so go for it young fella! 

Cheers.. Dave 

9 hours ago, USS_ESSESS said:

But I could build it as USS John Paul Jones (DDG-53) which had its keel laying in 1990.

I really like that the US Navy saw fit to honour a member of Led Zeppelin. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I have , more or less, made a decision for my entry(ies).  After some research could nt find anything that first flew or entered service etc for that year so.... I have opted for an aircraft that took part in the 1953 Coronation Review. Quite likely a Chipmunk, Provost T1 and Harvard II. I have just enough info re serials,codes etc to complete one or all three courtesy the Hikoki publication by Eric Bucklow. Lots of good pics etc for references.  Whats more a couple or three of the participating Chipmunks were ones that as an ATC cadet , I flew in years later. For example WK577 that I recently finished from a restoration build.

S&M Models Provost T1, Heller Texan to be an RAF Harvard II and Airfix (or AZ ) Chippie.

So they are my choices.

PS Does anyone have an Airfix Chipmunk going spare??

• Like 1

9 hours ago, USS_ESSESS said:

I‘m tempted to join in on this, really like the idea. The year is 1990... so going through my stash I have an Arleigh-Burke Destroyer but DDG-51 had its keel laying in ‘88 and was launched in ‘89... and entered service in 91. But I could build it as USS John Paul Jones (DDG-53) which had its keel laying in 1990.

I wanted to build that ship anyway because of the Movie Battleship.

DDG-53 was one of the destroyers that was part of our battle group on the '95 deployment, and were instrumental in getting the aircrew back aboard after their Tomcat turned into a fireball.

• Like 1

All lovely choices @Paul J. The Coronation was such a big part of 1953 that it makes perfect sense to model it. Now where does one find 1/72 figures of a young Queen and Prince Phillip? 

Cheers. Dave 

Just noticed, I could do the Airfix MR2 Shack as well if time permits.  Incidentally I'm only going for kits I have in my stash or that are cheap enough to buy without breaking the bank. And will give me a chance to use up some of those generic decals.

• Like 1