Dornier Do 18-D *Finished*

Tony, your build of inside of Do-18 is really impressive. With colours it will be unbelivable. If I may - just please note the difference between kit and reality in details of engine. The "D" has four inlets on top, for instance.  

dornier-do-18-flying-boat-5.jpg

Znalezione obrazy dla zapytania dornier 18

Later variant (note wider floats) has two

LUFTWAFFE DORNIER DO 18 SEAPLANE

Znalezione obrazy dla zapytania dornier do 18

The model has completly wrong two big ones,  one after another. I have feeling that  early and late variants differ also a bit with depth and lenght of front engine. But I do not have prove for it... The are some other difference (in relings I think and perhaps in cooler and inlet around spinner). But again - I am not 100% sure.

p.s.

Some late variant photos here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/46719559@N04/5604521998/in/photostream/

Edited by JWM
added PS
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Grief Tony even your piccies of filled in panel lines look atmospheric and avant-garde. Looking amazing with paint. Oh: Pound Shop ladies' nail files ,a wonderful source of cheapo modelling accessories.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, jrlx said:

The primer really went on well

I sometimes feel quite reluctant to paint any further after added the primer Jaime. I like that monotone grey look sometimes - a bit like the CAD renders you see Airfix publishing for their new releases:

ImageM.jpg

4 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

et seq.

A thousand pardons Mr. Tiger for the incorrect attribution. It is a splendid substance and takes a scribe very nicely indeed:

36845235514_88953eb088_c.jpg

I scratched a few 'test-Oghams' in both directions over that filled flap line above and think that it will present a do-able route for the motor room externals later. :thumbsup2:

2 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

I am now officially in awe of the workmanship that is going into this build!

Now then dear fellow; simply putting into practice the kinds of skills I've admired and learned from in your own work  - Karel Doorman especially! :D

2 hours ago, perdu said:

Fingers crossed that ma-in-law has a smooth time of it and preferably a fine recovery

Not easy days ahead Tony, you'll need to be the man for swmbo for now

Ta for that Bill. :thumbsup2: 

The old lady seems to have responded to treatment and was necking porridge like a good 'un there yesterday, so Mrs. B has been in much better spirits today as a consequence.

2 hours ago, perdu said:

I hate with a vengeance those models/modellers that think showing stuff under the skin by removing it is good model making technique

Mighty Zeus! I heard thunderbolts rend the air! :lol: 

Whilst the skills may be admirable, plastic strippergrams of that kind tend to produce the same empty feeling that a flawlessly executed piece of music can leave you with if the feeling is absent from the playing.

2 hours ago, perdu said:

why they'd be like that on an airfield hard standing

In words that the immortal Brian Blessed used about people, in aeronautical terms I like my aircraft to look like they shag, sweat and doo-doo...

The rather fey forum-censoring software will no doubt render that last bit as 'cormorant, perspire and void'....

2 hours ago, JWM said:

Tony, your build of inside of Do-18 is really impressive. With colours it will be unbelivable. If I may - just please note the difference between kit and reality in details of engine. The "D" has four inlets on top, for instance. 

I'd failed to notice that significant detail Jerzy! Thanks - that is invaluable. :thumbsup2:

I'll have a look at that engine issue you mention also...

1 hour ago, Tomoshenko said:

Grief Tony even your piccies of filled in panel lines look atmospheric and avant-garde. Looking amazing with paint. Oh: Pound Shop ladies' nail files ,a wonderful source of cheapo modelling accessories.

Every modeller has an inner woman bursting to get out whenever modelling supplies are to the fore Tomo!:lol:

Thanks for the kind words all.

Cheesed-off earlier at discovering the airbrush had put the kybosh on any immediate paint plans. I kind of fiddled desultorily with building a recess into the fuselage at the back of the rear gun position whilst pondering what to do:

37555390231_5bd8cfdacc_c.jpg

There's a kind of lozenge shaped box to go in that which acts as some kind of regulating mechanism for the rotation of the 'Scarff'-like dial that the MG 15 is mounted onto, but I was distracted by the brush issue so didn't get any further than that.

In the end I decided stop moping, raid the savings and order an Iwata. Having gotten through two cheapo airbrushes in the past 18 months I figured it was time to buy a grownups tool - it's only got to come across from Scotland so I'm hoping that it will arrive by the end of next week. 

In the meantime I can turn my deliberations to some of the externals - the wings could do with a dose Humbrolifilling down the panel lines, and a spot of deflection on ailerons and empennage may be on the cards n'est-ce pas?

There.

All turned out nice again.

:bye:

Tony

• Like 9

11 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

why they'd be like that on an airfield hard standing

What really, really grates with me, is model aeroplanes, with or without open panels, displayed as parked and left unattended on a taxiway, or even worse, the threshold of a runway....!!

I shall now return to mass painting of Spitfire propellers. I may be some time...

Keith

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

What really, really grates with me, is model aeroplanes, with or without open panels, displayed as parked and left unattended on a taxiway, or even worse, the threshold of a runway....!!

I shall now return to mass painting of Spitfire propellers. I may be some time...

Keith

I always think that an empty seat on a runway/taxyway suggests an immediate threat of a fire bursting through the cockpit any second 'now'

But I'm guilty of the open canopy, no driver fault myself but never on the piano keys😨

• Like 1

On 08/10/2017 at 6:04 AM, TheBaron said:

A thousand pardons Mr. Tiger for the incorrect attribution. It is a splendid substance and takes a scribe very nicely indeed:

No need for the pardons Monsieur Le Baron, I was just having a little tongue in cheek fun ;).

I’ve never scribed the stuff, so will be interested to see how it goes. Over the years I think maybe they’ve changed the recipe, at one time it was quite hard when dry and not very sanding friendly; now it is very nice for e.g. filling strange deep panel lines on Matchbox Mosquito kits; just gets rid of them, as you’ve found with the old Dornier (conning tower) nacelle.

J-W’s photo of the all grey one, brings home once again what an elegant design they are :heart: .

The truss (engine mounting parts?) and other inner nacelle details look very good indeed. I’m surprised that after market engines aren’t very easy to find. They would be useful on JU-86 kits too, of which there are a few by RS and Italeri.

Good to hear mum in law is doing well :thumbsup2: .

Kippers with bread and butter eh?

:Tasty:

Food to keep body and soul together :). Kedgeree, now there’s a nice, evocative word to thrust into the void.

Best regards :bye: 

TonyT

Edited by TonyTiger66
Auto corrupt corrected
  • Like 1

More great stuff and what an update!

Air bottles, primer, chair hunt... entertaining as always Tony and she’s looking gorgeous :)

(TT happy to surrender the filler recommendation to your good self)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No need Ced; thoroughly tongue in cheek :D!

I really enjoy how people share tips on products, how to use them, the pros and cons, techniques and more here on Britmodeller. Very kind and very encouraging upon returning to the hobby. It’s changed so much in the last 20 years alone (let alone 40-50), that it can be quite overwhelming.

I was thinking of my soon to be 15 year old stepdaughter when I selected the emoticons. She’s at that “but that was my idea!” stage :(.

She’s really great, a genuinely kind hearted person,  but the first to admit that her place as ‘Drama society head of year” is extremely appropriate :rolleyes:  :lol:!

I’ve run out of count of the great things you’ve recommended and explained to me Ced :thumbsup2: 

All best regards

TonyT

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Them! scared the hell out of me when I was about 10 and BBC2 had it on late one night back in the 70s!

them2.jpg

I remember that showing. Mum suggested that I stay up and watch as she thought I would enjoy it. As ever she was right.

Martian

• Like 2

7 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Them! scared the hell out of me when I was about 10 and BBC2 had it on late one night back in the 70s!

Them! and Forbidden Planet are two of my all time favorite films

• Like 3

The midnight movie on Beeb 2, Saturday nights!  Oh such fantastic memories, the alien, nothing personal Mr Hale, under the ice caused me to throw the dregs of a cuppa over the wall, Mum wasn’t impressed after she stopped laughing! 

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, TheBaron said:

I sometimes feel quite reluctant to paint any further after added the primer Jaime. I like that monotone grey look sometimes - a bit like the CAD renders you see Airfix publishing for their new releases:

I totally agree with you, Tony. Grey primed models really look beautiful.

Cheers

Jaime

17 hours ago, keefr22 said:

16 hours ago, perdu said:

I always think that an empty seat on a runway/taxyway suggests an immediate threat of a fire bursting through the cockpit any second 'now'

The Gods are angry!:bandit:

Thank mighty Zeus that I left the toilet seat down on this build. The last thing I want is to be had up for incorrect display of das honi-bukkit....

16 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

J-W’s photo of the all grey one, brings home once again what an elegant design they are

Plus an excellent reference shot that one for showing the retrained nature of most of the panel lines!

Not to mention Leutnant zur See Mikkel Jackson in the foreground there about to do a moonwalk across the apron with his white glove:

37520112046_4302637ed1_m.jpg 

16 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

I’m surprised that after market engines aren’t very easy to find

There's definitely a (tiny) niche in the market for for this mark of a Jumo. The tech.docs came with the complete manual for the 206 but the GB time limit proscribes even a token attempt expressing it's stocky bluffness.

15 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

The mouth man! the mouth! ye gods! the youth of today.....

You have no idea how much my sides hurt after laughing at that! :rofl2:

Top man Pete! :thumbsup2:

15 hours ago, CedB said:

Air bottles, primer, chair hunt

Put in those terms it does sound uncannily exciting...

This adrenaline lifestyle of ours Ced - how do we stand the pace eh? :yahoo:

15 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

I really enjoy how people share tips on products, how to use them, the pros and cons, techniques and more here on Britmodeller. Very kind and very encouraging upon returning to the hobby.

Hear hear Mr.T!

14 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

I remember that showing. Mum suggested that I stay up and watch as she thought I would enjoy it. As ever she was right.

14 hours ago, hendie said:

Them! and Forbidden Planet are two of my all time favorite films

14 hours ago, HomerJ_757 said:

The midnight movie on Beeb 2, Saturday nights!  Oh such fantastic memories, the alien, nothing personal Mr Hale, under the ice caused me to throw the dregs of a cuppa over the wall, Mum wasn’t impressed after she stopped laughing! 

There was something touchingly naive about those horror double bills you used to get on Beeb 2 back then wasn't there? A glass of Coke, some cheese on toast to help with the nightmare, then one of the original Universal Studios' 1930s jobs followed by something titillating from the Hammer stable. 

Night of the Demon still gives me goosebumps even today...

image-E83B_5325AD15.jpg?fit=765,574

Guns n' Roses Rungs

Whilst we're on the subject of horror,  je forgot to mention that a motorized tentacle arrived in the post some days ago:

37519926486_7d77be7251_c.jpg

An extension that means I can leave the Dremel clone hanging up beside the bench out of the way whilst savaging my latest victim, in this case shaping and reducing the MG 15 mags from CMK so that they'll fit into the gunner's positions:

37519934406_c33c88815d_c.jpg

In the centre is one of the original blocks they come mounted on, to the right of this are the three panels of reloads ground down to thin panels at the back so that they can be mounted triangularly into the bow:

37154143300_4a348b9e51_b.jpg

Summat like this:

37536153912_7816466290_c.jpg

The other sets in the photo were a couple of (purely fanciful) sets of reloads to locate under the lip of the rear position like so:

37519927746_7a1fc21a6a_c.jpg

I can find no graphic or photographic evidence for the rear disposition of these so having a set on either side is my best guess from the available locations back there as to where they mags would not get in the way and yet remain readily accessible during the heat of battle. I'll put a little groove down the back of these to insert a metal support for mounting purposes later.

To

the

matter

of

the

ladder.

At long last it dawned on me that constructing smaller parts such as this requiring regular spacing of components might go a bit easier if the actual outline was drawn onto the surface you're going to be soldering on:

37536155242_78c128ebcc_c.jpg

Thence with the required parts in position and festooned with heat sink in strategic places:

37519930916_653c274b63_c.jpg

The actual sides of the ladder needed to be flat rather than circular, so 0.8mm brass tube got the squeeze put on it in flat-head pliers to achieve this effect.

A cooling bath after the heat:

36898472863_885b5d17c6_c.jpg

And thence a short back and sides with a square mini-file in order to remove any excess solder:

37519932266_56815a8501_c.jpg

The first person to make a Stairway to Heaven joke is barred :P:

36898473953_3996864773_c.jpg

Or indeed any George Formby allusions to cleaning windows....;)

That now is clothed in grey:

37568895171_3fe87a51d0_c.jpg

As are yon magazines:

37536154482_9fbaf116a4_c.jpg

There's one detail that's been staring me in the face throughout all these test fits:

37519929006_1b9382293a_c.jpg

Portholes!

A set in the radio room up front, and another in the cargo space behind the fuel tanks. I've a plan to replace the hideous kit transparencies and will bother you with that in due course.

Have yourselves an excellent Sunday!

:bye:

Tony

• Like 15

17 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

The last thing I want is to be had up for incorrect display of das honi-bukkit....

And be in no doubt, Sir, that you most certainly  would have been....!! :P:D

Mighty fine ladder there, looks so much better than stuck together pieces of plastic rod that would be the result of any such effort I might undertake!

"And if you listen very hard
The tune will come to you at last
When all are one and one is all
To be a rock and not to roll
And she's buying a sta............"

:coat:on, come on :dinosaur: , let's scarper, quick....!!

Keith

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

The movie I was thinking of was “The Thing from another World”. One of many movies from the 30’s to 50’s that would be shown on the midnight movie!  

Excellent ladder, Senor Baronę! Enjoying the build immensely! 

• Like 2

Tony, I have to ask... is mounting the magazines in the vertical intentional ?   Your reference photo shows them stowed in the horizontal. 

Just checking as on many occasions I have stared at a photo for a long time and still made the part wrong. You may have stated a reason in past pages but I could easily have missed that.

On 10/7/2017 at 8:58 AM, Nigel Heath said:

Surplus Mr Surfacer is best removed with acetone which doesn't harm the plastic. I just use cheap nail polish remover for such jobs.

NIgel, I wouldn't use acetone on any plastic I wanted to keep. Acetone will dissolve styrene pretty quickly

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

At long last it dawned on me that constructing smaller parts such as this requiring regular spacing of components might go a bit easier if the actual outline was drawn onto the surface you're going to be soldering on:

Even easier if you can print out your design to use as a template.  Though it's somewhat less exciting if you are using just the standard soldering iron as opposed to the naked flame throwing variety. 

S5003112.JPG

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

and the first person to reference Showaddywaddy will be mercilessly hunted down, flayed alive, dipped in a bag of salt, and their stash handed over to the nearest Sewing Bee or Crochet Club

Nice Rungs!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

38 minutes ago, hendie said:

and the first person to reference Showaddywaddy will be mercilessly hunted down, flayed alive, dipped in a bag of salt, and their stash handed over to the nearest Sewing Bee or Crochet Club

Well Hendie wasn't sitting "Under The Moon Of Love" when he wrote that!

2 hours ago, TheBaron said:

What we all want to know is what does Tony see when he's cleaning his windows!

Nice ladder are you going to make a scale George von Formby to go with it?

Martian

• Haha 4

I never thought that I would be complementing someone on their ladder.

I am. That little ladder is a work of micro modelling art Monsieur Le Baron.

I also noticed, along with Hendie, that in the photographs of the real thing the magazines are stored horizontally. There’s a small grab handle between the drums for the gunner to, erm, grab ;).

The interior now bears no relation whatsoever to the original Matchbox interior. In a good way :worthy: .

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, TonyTiger66 said:

I also noticed, along with Hendie, that in the photographs...

I would just like to state at this point that we were not together at the time of the observation

• Haha 4
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, hendie said:

Tony, I have to ask... is mounting the magazines in the vertical intentional ?   Your reference photo shows them stowed in the horizontal.

54 minutes ago, TonyTiger66 said:

I also noticed, along with Hendie,

By the Pubescent Plaid of the Bay City Rollers - you're right lads!

I clearly only saw what I wanted to see when I whipped them magazines out of the packet. My Sweet Lord... :doh:

They should most definitely be in the horizontal - what a pile of Mouldy Old Dough! I'll leave 'em on there temporarily for painting purposes and then slice 'em off after to re-orientate correctly. 

Uptown Top Ranking to you both for spotting that! :thumbsup2:

3 hours ago, keefr22 said:

And she's buying a sta............"

...nnah stairlift for him - after what happened to the last person who quoted 'that song'....

Sic 'em little T!:winkgrin:

2 hours ago, HomerJ_757 said:

The movie I was thinking of was “The Thing from another World”.

Possibly the only film I can think of Ian that both the original and the remake are equally gripping! 

1 hour ago, jrlx said:

Excellent work on the ladder and magazines!

Well, one out of the two anyway...:lol:

1 hour ago, Martian Hale said:

What we all want to know is what does Tony see when he's cleaning his windows!

Nice ladder are you going to make a scale George von Formby to go with it?

A ukelele aficionado of my acquaintance recently pointed out to me just how many of Mr. Formby's lyrics are obsessed with themes of voyeurism and sexual temptation...

'A widow nice and young and gay said, "Come to tea my dear,
I've something nice for a Lad from Lancashire.''
'

http://www.jango.com/music/George+Formby

6 minutes ago, hendie said:

I would just like to state at this point that we were not together at the time of the observation

I wasn't at all together at the time of making the original gaffe!:winkgrin:

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

They should most definitely be in the horizontal - what a pile of Mouldy Old Dough!

Should we assume from this that the pilot of this fine machine was Leutnant Pidgin?

There are far too many people giving away their age in the last few posts...not to mention some slightly dubious musical memories (being able to name this one for a start!)

Nice khazi btw, there must have been a female on board to ensure said lid was closed!

Ian

• Like 1
  • Haha 5