Spitfire STGB in Memory of Edgar Brooks chat

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

After consultation with Giorgio we have decided to extend the GB. It was actually quite short in comparison to other GBs. In effect this will be a Spitfire STGB, so it only seems fair to give it the same length as other STGBs. Therefore, the Gallery will now close on Sunday 5th June.

However as with other Tribute GBs, the thread will remain open indefinitely so that anyone can continue a tribute build.

• Like 7

Narrowing down which kit or more likely kits build at least intially is proving tricky but going to go with, the az mkix using decals I have from the airfix one think I can finally pull off masking invasion stripes. Also the airfix mkii will make a nice easy build, built loads as a mkii but none so far in mkii config. Would also like to do a seafire, though no idea which kit.

After consultation with Giorgio we have decided to extend the GB. It was actually quite short in comparison to other GBs. In effect this will be a Spitfire STGB, so it only seems fair to give it the same length as other STGBs. Therefore, the Gallery will now close on Sunday 5th June.

However as with other Tribute GBs, the thread will remain open indefinitely so that anyone can continue a tribute build.

Thanks Enzo !

Narrowing down which kit or more likely kits build at least intially is proving tricky but going to go with, the az mkix using decals I have from the airfix one think I can finally pull off masking invasion stripes. Also the airfix mkii will make a nice easy build, built loads as a mkii but none so far in mkii config. Would also like to do a seafire, though no idea which kit.

Best option for a 1/72 Seafire would be one of the Sword kits. They are short runs but good ones, not too tricky. Alternatively you can try an Airfix 1/48 Seafire XVII or 47, both good kits

Thinking about it, the Sword Seafire III is one of those kits that I've planned for this STGB. The Spit was not really well suited to carrier operations but the Seafire nonetheless contributed a lot to the war effort

• Like 1

Mine comes with high and low back fuselages, round and pointed rudders and also two sets of exhausts. If I can pick up a cheap Airfix IX I may use the spare bits. Trouble is the Airfix has a bare cockpit.....

Trevor

I'm not sure I have the discipline to start and finish a Spitfire model within the allotted timeframe for a STGB but I am currently part way through an Airfix 1:48 Spitfire PR.XIX project, which I will continue to build in tribute to this great gentleman who shared so much of his vast knowledge with all of us over the years and in doing so enriched our enjoyment of this website. In a further tribute to Edgar, I'm going to town on this kit, with a plethora of Barracuda's excellent resin improvement sets, some Ultracast wheels, air scale instrument dials and mindful of my current location, I'm opting for a Swedish Flygvapnet S.31 Spitfire of F11 Wing, from the excellent RB Decals Studio set which I recently picked up in Stockholm. These Spitfires often flew reconnaissance missions over the Baltic Sea close to the border with the USSR.

Mark

• Like 1

I really shouldn't start another build anytime soon but no way am I missing this tribute to the great man,I don't have a Spitfire kit at all so I have a world

of options to choose for in type and scale I,ll put the thinking cap on.

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 1

As I mentioned I have no Spitfire kit and looking round for inspiration not only have I had a go at most of what's out there but have a lot on the shelves

so I thought as I,ve never built a Seafire before and my 1/48 mojo is presently back with me I would track down one of the Airfix newish releases there's a lovely DSG over Sky scheme in one of the boxings.

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 1

As I mentioned I have no Spitfire kit and looking round for inspiration not only have I had a go at most of what's out there but have a lot on the shelves

so I thought as I,ve never built a Seafire before and my 1/48 mojo is presently back with me I would track down one of the Airfix newish releases there's a lovely DSG over Sky scheme in one of the boxings.

Are you looking for the XVII or 46/47 kit?

• Like 1

Despite the presence of about 6 Spitfire kits in the stash, I've ordered a 48th Airfix PR. XIX from the Big H for this GB. It won't get here for the start of the GB, but that's OK because I got lots to finish first. Hpefully I can do it justice.

• Like 1

Are you looking for the XVII or 46/47 kit?

I,m sure my LMS has both the newer releases in Col,I,m very struck by the Korean war schemed boxing I also noticed King Kit have a few of the

releases from a few years ago which I seem to remember were well received at the time.

I,m sure my LMS has both the newer releases in Col,I,m very struck by the Korean war schemed boxing I also noticed King Kit have a few of the

releases from a few years ago which I seem to remember were well received at the time.

The XVII is no longer in the Airfix range so may be worth picking one up now if you are tempted but both are lovely kits.