Spitfire STGB in Memory of Edgar Brooks chat

Guys I only learned of Edgar's passing this morning when I picked up an email informing me.

There will be a Tribute Group Build in the same format as we had for the passing of Merv.

Because this is a very busy time of the year in the GB world the voting for next years GBs and the setting of the calender the GB won't happen till next year. I'm not sure when yet but I hope sooner rather than later. Please bear with me.

Tonight I will be raising a glass in Edgar's honour, a gentleman of the old school and a man of a generous nature both with his knowledge and friendship.

RIP Edgar

• Like 7

First topic I saw when I opened BM this morning was this one. I knew that Edgar was ill and in hospital, this news is jarring. Despite having never met or communicated with him in any way, I've read his gentle (and sometimes not so gentle) posts on all things Spitfire here on BM with great interest for quite a number of years, even though I actually prefer Hurricanes... So much knowledge, so much willingness to share.

I'd be honored to join in a GB, and I'll make a special effort to actually finish it. Although there's every chance that I'll be the inadvertent 'nope, that's wrong' contestant.

Not to be unseemly, but I do hope that all of his research is able to be preserved, it would be a terrible loss if it wasn't.

Rest well, Mr Brooks.

Guys I only learned of Edgar's passing this morning when I picked up an email informing me.

There will be a Tribute Group Build in the same format as we had for the passing of Merv.

Because this is a very busy time of the year in the GB world the voting for next years GBs and the setting of the calender the GB won't happen till next year. I'm not sure when yet but I hope sooner rather than later. Please bear with me.

Tonight I will be raising a glass in Edgar's honour, a gentleman of the old school and a man of a generous nature both with his knowledge and friendship.

RIP Edgar

Well said Mish and beautifully put.

It is of course a busy time for the GB calendar in general and our GB Monitor in particular so with that in mind may I suggest those of us who wish to build a Spitfire in personal tribute to Edgar at this moment do so without need for an organised GB? Perhaps adopt an agreed tag in the title so they can be easily identified? After all few of us have only a single Spitfire kit in our stash and those who do can easily find more in the shops in good time for when a proper tribute GB is ready to start.

• Like 2

I agree that a Spitfire GB would be a fitting way to celebrate Edgar's passion and knowledge of them. He will be greatly missed.

I would certainly like to take part in any GB that takes place to honour Edgar.

Kind regards,

Stix

Beautifully said, Mish. I look forward to next year and as mentioned, I'd certainly be available for any 'duties' above and beyond the modelling.

I would be an honour, count me in.

PS : Just an idea :

A couple of years ago we did the following on a dutch forum :

A fellow modeller saw an article in a local newspaper. It told the story of a 17 year old Rob. The boy had suddenly died a couple of months before and his big dream was to become a pilot. The gravestone had an engraved aircraft and was shaped like a cloud. The stone also had the serial number of the plane that he was flying to get his pilot license.

Every week the family put model airplanes on the grave, but they all got stolen (16 in total).

The newsarticle told this sad story and the parents asked if there were modellers that would like to donate model airplanes because they kept getting stolen.

The article was discussed on the dutch modelling forum (Modelbrouwers.nl) and somebody came up with the idea to build an all metal Boeing 747 (Rob's favourite airplane) that would be permanently fixed to the gravestone.

Many modellers made a donation and the Boeing was CNC milled from a big piece of aluminium, it was then painted with the actual paint from a real 747 (courtesy of the aircraft maintenance of KLM) and fixed on the grave.

Here's a picture of the grave (the aluminium plane is on top of the gravestone). I believe the picture was taken during the unveiling of the 747 and got some extra model airplanes for the ceremony :

image-3065319.JPG

Maybe we can do something similar for Edgar ? Do some fundraising and have a Spitfire made that can be fixed to his grave ? (with permission of the family of course).

What do you guys think ?

Sincerely

Pascal

Edited by Pascal
  • Like 1

Never had the pleasure of meeting Edgar, but his loss is definitely being felt on all the model forums.

I've got 4 Spitfires in my stash so it would be an honour to build at least one for Mr Spitfire.

Merlin or Gryphon? Clipped, extended or laminar?

Well it appears the g&t I had at the hotel lobby bar must posthumously be dedicated to the passing of a master as I just learned the sad news. I'm not an English speaker so I hope could express my thoughts with adequate dignity. I'd feel definitely honoured to participate in the STGB.

Regards, V-P

We were already planning an "Every Mark of Spitfire" GB over on the Unofficial Airfix Modeller's Forum for March 2016, to mark the 80th anniversary of the first flight of K5054. In these sad circumstances, we will now run that as an Edgar Brooks tribute GB as well. If the logistics work out over here as well, perhaps we could have a multi-forum tribute build?

All the best,

Matt

(PS: in a spirit which I hope Edgar would have appreciated, perhaps in amongst all the carefully-researched and painstakingly reproduced "just like the real thing" builds that I'm sure we'll get, perhaps someone could volunteer to do a build incorporating all the errors that Edgar saved us from...)

I like this idea Matt, What does everyone else think?

• Like 7