Spitfire STGB in Memory of Edgar Brooks chat

Guys I was originally intending to host this GB myself but I've just been signed up on a home study diploma for work which is going to take a lot of my time so I'm looking for a host or hosts for this short Tribute GB

Mish, as I'm usually very busy myself with my job I wouldn't probably be able to do it alone, but as I love Spitfires and I owe a lot of my knowledge to the many posts by Edgar, I'd be happy to help as long as at least another member can share the task with me.

I'll happily do anything I can to assist with this GB.

That would make two of us, I'd be happy with this. Unless anyone who has known Edgar personally or had any strong connection with him would like to step in, in this case I'd leave the honour to him

• Like 1

Hello, I would like to be added to the list to participate too please.

I have always had problems building Spitfires, and this would give me the added edge to do one properly (or at least better), with Edgar's spirit looking down.

Rest easy Edgar, you are missed by many.

Ray

• Like 1

Edgar did offer me corrective advice in the past, without us ever knowing each other. When I received that advice, I realized he had a dedicated love for all things Spitfire, and gladly accepted his message.

I would like to join in as well.

• Like 2

I've never built a Spitfire before, well not since Airfix's first ever model circa 1955/6 but this seems like a very good excuse to build the Tamiya Mk IX that I bought recently for some unaccountable reason. Put my name on the list please Mods.

Max

• Like 1

I've never built a Spitfire before, well not since Airfix's first ever model circa 1955/6 but this seems like a very good excuse to build the Tamiya Mk IX that I bought recently for some unaccountable reason. Put my name on the list please Mods.

Max

No need to be added to the list as the group build is already approved. When the GB starts, just add your build, another Spitfire will be welcome !

wonder if the forum will be able to accept the huge number of entries there will no doubt will be

anyway think I will do what many others will also do and go for the prototype, not something I would normally touch given the conversion work needed and don't do prototypes aside from fast jets

• Like 1

A stupid-ish question but I assume Sea-Spitfires are eligible too? V-P

As Seafires are part of the family, my view is that they are.

Edgar sure looked into Seafires as well and I remember several documents that he mentioned to explain a number of features of these aircrafts

Edited by Giorgio N
  • Like 2

There's nothing stopping cross posting Max

Except the dates Mish, LSP's tribute build starts on Thursday, the date of Edgar's funeral. I expect my Spit to be finished long before March when this one starts.

Max

Along that line, maybe this would be a good time for me to tackle the Spiteful. A couple of years ago I was studying the various 1/48 options and eventually gave up in frustration!

bob

Good point, should the Spiteful/Seafang be included ? Personally I'd say yes, it was after all the ultimate Spitfire.

Alas, it was also the trait-d'union between the greatly succesful Spitfire and the way less than stellar postwar Supermarine fighters as the Attacker used the same wing, but this is another story...

• Like 1

Just in case you're on the fence (but I think Spiteful/Seafang definitely deserve inclusion) I later came back around to my long-standing (or sitting) desire to do NN660. So I think that's what I'll go for... until I change my mind again!

supermarine_spiteful.jpg

Source: http://ipmsuk.proboards.com/thread/5630/supermarine-spiteful-1st-prototypes-colour

bob

Edited by gingerbob
  • Like 1

Good point, should the Spiteful/Seafang be included ? Personally I'd say yes, it was after all the ultimate Spitfire.

Alas, it was also the trait-d'union between the greatly succesful Spitfire and the way less than stellar postwar Supermarine fighters as the Attacker used the same wing, but this is another story...

I'm happy to see the Spiteful and Seafang included but do feel the Attacker is a step too far.