Tamiya 1/35 PBR

Right I've got the fore deck looking how I want it................at the third attempt

P1080187%20Copy_zpsjzugwnah.jpg

P1080186%20Copy_zpselcsyoee.jpg

Initial paint job done on hull approx. five shades of green above the waterline and allsorts below. Further weathering to be done

P1080192_zpsx9ncgpd8.jpg

P1080195_zps5mgo65qc.jpg

P1080194_zps0jqlco0f.jpg

P1080193_zpsuxiifeam.jpg

Cockpit starting to come together

P1080190%20Copy_zpsyb5wojhd.jpg

P1080189%20Copy_zpsspgjkbus.jpg

I'm pleased with the progress this weekend

Thanks for looking in

Kev

• Like 9

Excellent work Kev, the forward deck is fantastic.

Cockpit is looking ready for action too. Only thing bothering me is the height of the radar display, It looks to be about waist high so either the user has to kneel down or the radar can be angled up more. This bothering anyone else or am I being too picky here? :coolio::winkgrin:

Thanks for all the comments Guys, even you Julian :winkgrin:

No pulling the wool over your eyes buddy..............

Apparently it was tiring for the Coxn and RO so they had seats

P1080196_zps7m0in4ay.jpg

P1080197_zpsfgpcqbz2.jpg

Seriously though that was well spotted

Spent time this evening cleaning skin tones off one of the figures. Applied with oils which never dry in 48hours (especially in this temp)

Oh yes they do :-(

Then I had a play with fenders, Tamiya supply green polos for tires??

P1080198%20Copy_zps04ntjeot.jpg

P1080200%20Copy_zpsjsdszqil.jpg

I think that will do, just need some PVA on the cord and a weight overnight to get them to hang right

Cheers Kev

• Like 8

Those fenders look real nice Kev wish I could have done something like them for the tug but they look spot on for your 1/35 scale build watching and taking notes :popcorn::popcorn:

Beefy

Thanks Guys

Keith, no reason why you can't make rope fenders for your tug......

Mooring ropes/towing hawsers I reckon are 100 to 200mm divided by 108, means your looking for some cord 1 to 2mm diameter. I would suggest cable laid cord as it takes the fold without distorting. Light pull cord would be about right.

Hope this helps

Kev

morning Longshanks - this is coming on nicely. Your cockpit dash looks great and those fenders look just fine to me. Having been medling with rigging thread and green stuff over the last week on my present build, you could make a fender from a clay/fimo/green stuff type product and weave the rigging thread around it while tacky - .. just a thought if it helps you

Hi Kev

First let me say that your modeling skills are top notch and what you have done so far really looks good. But there are some issues with your model and I am only offering the following comments in the way of constructive criticism based on my time with PBR River Divisions 532 & 573 in Sa Dec RVN, 1968-69.

I would not say "never" but the PBR's I worked on generally didn't have anti-slip anywhere and while your bow area looks great it probably didn't exist.

The two radios were located directly below the radar one above the other with the front panels accessable to the coxswain. There were no radios located where you placed yours and no duck-boards. No one rode in that space on patrol and no stool. The radar is actually too low in the kit to accommodate the radios.

There were only four members of a normal boat crew: coxswain (boat captail), forward gunner, rear gunner and a seaman on the engine covers between the shields which usally mounted an M-60 and a hand-cranked Honeywell grenade launcher.

The water jets & deflectors were rectangular in shape not round

The "door" you removed was actually a ballistic cloth door with a zippered closure

The black beret worn by the crew "flops" to the left and the "pushed up" side is on the right with the TF-116 patch. Your crewman has the "floppy" part on the left.

Forward gun tub: Ammo cans were located between the guns front to back. The semi-circular tubs (#11 on your drawing) were to catch the spent brass. BTW the gunners seat was a canvas strap not a solid, fixed seat.

The boats only had one crew and made 12 hour patrols, either the day or night patrol. When the crew and boat were in it was refueled, repaired, rearmed, etc., etc. Not used 24/7.

The raised section amidships are not ammo lockers. They are engine covers. The two deck hatches at the rear of the boat gave access to the water jets that clogged frequently with water plants.

I hope this helps

• Like 6

Makes you scared to even bother taking kits out of the box doesn't it, no matter how well meant. :blink::wall:

I guess the floral pattern sunshade over the cockpit we discussed is a "no no" too Kev, Can I have it for my PzKpfw IV ? :winkgrin:

Edited by Gremlin56
  • Like 4

Hey, someone with firsthand knowledge supplied insight. Kev is a genius and will either sort it or, and this approach is equally valid, apply the Nelson touch and proceed anyway.

Or he could do it as a what if maybe show how it could have been built and done properly :oops::nono:

Julian the floral print will go much better with your little Pazner any way :clown:

Beefy

• Like 2