Tamiya 1/35 PBR

Hi Guys,

First I would like to thank RFindley for his thoughts. I must admit it took the wind out of my sails for a bit but here are my thoughts…..

“I would not say "never" but the PBR's I worked on generally didn't have anti-slip anywhere and while your bow area looks great it probably didn't exist.”

I served 10 years in the Merchant Navy (leaving as Chief Officer) and have been sailing fibreglass yachts since and I’m all too aware of how slippery fibreglass is when wet. So in my world a non- slip finish is reasonable. I also have photos of restored PBR’s with non-slip finish.

The radios located under the radar would be logical but as with all these points would it be common throughout all the boats

These layouts are reproduced from ' US Dept of the Navy ' Operation and service instructions for river patrol PBR31 MK2

mk2_0002_zpshv6bpshn.jpg
mk2_0001_zpstbfsjatt.jpg

These clearly show a radio cabin forward of the bridge flat plus the two radios as I have positioned them.

In addition they show grenade and ammunition storage between the engine compartments

I was unaware that the ‘ door’ covering was Ballistic cloth but I have already mentioned the rolled up door.

Ref the water jets, the pics I have clearly show a flattened ring shape. As the boat is going to be in the river and only the very tops of the jets will be visible I didn’t bother with too much detail.

Thanks for the info on the gun tub & uniform

Now having counted and found all my rivets in place to my satisfaction I shall be continuing after my holiday

Kev

• Like 5

Have a nice Holiday Kev

I've just been swatting up online and watching some videos about making waves and modelling moving water - in particular there was a video tutorial of a similar river patrol boat assembly showing how to model the powered nose-up effect in water, and so I have ordered myself up some more Vallejo clear water effects and Foam Snow effects for my own forthcoming sea diorama.

My online search found something I did not know though - they make a "Still Water Effects" product (you probably know anyway, but just in case...) which may be more relevant to your chilled out posed figures which I guess will be travelling slower and on smoother water???

Looking forward to your next developments

John

Edited by Gimme Shelter

Hi Kev;

I really didn't mean to rain on your parade with my comments and am glad you decided to carry on. I have the same diagram as you posted and as it is sometimes said "looks good on paper, but things just didn't work out that way"

You are absolutely right about restored PBR's; most of the ones I've seen do have anti-slip. Probably the same can be said for those few boats the Navy kept in reserve units after Vietnam.

In Vietnam the fiberglass decks were VERY slippery!!!!! Our solution was to wear jungle boots with a much better grip than the leather soled boots.

BTW the ballistic cloth was also used for the canopy and tended to be a dark olive green with a satin finish. A lot of the Tamiya PBR builders want to put a bleached out canvas top on the boat.

Keep on modelling......I am trying to finish my old Monogram 1/48 Command Junk

Edited by RFindley
  • Like 2

Here ya go Kev,

A picture from my younger and perhaps more foolish days. You can see how far off Tamiya placed the radar which makes it pretty hard to fit two radios beneath. Note our improvised grenade and flare "locker"....an empty ammo can. This is RivDiv 532, Sa Dec RVN. Check out the canopy too.

RVN%20PBR%2069bm_zpsdgquf6ub.jpg

Edited by RFindley
  • Like 9

I hope to finish it in the next couple of weeks and will post some pics. It is a considerable conversion of the old Monogram sailing junk to a later motorized junk. Not a lot of info out there about them but finally managed to get everything together for the build. Eventually I will do the PCF Swift Boat also in 1/48 scale. It needs a complete interior build-out. Monogram/Revell left the entire cabin empty of any interior.....bridge as well.

Rick in Virginia

Edited by RFindley

Here ya go Kev,

A picture from my younger and perhaps more foolish days. You can see how far off Tamiya placed the radar which makes it pretty hard to fit two radios beneath. Note our improvised grenade and flare "locker"....an empty ammo can. This is RivDiv 532, Sa Dec RVN. Check out the canopy too.

RVN%20PBR%2069bm_zpsdgquf6ub.jpg

The grenade locker is too good to pass on Kev :coolio: I wonder if Rick has more photos he'd like to share with us :winkgrin:

Excuse my stupidity here but I thought the PBR's were Army run and not Navy, (ok lads, hunting season opened. Open fire)

Edited by Gremlin56
  • Like 1

Hi Rick,

As I said looking forward to your pics

Now, fully detailed Swift

That's going to be very special . .

Would you know make/model of radios on pbr

Keith, laying on a beach in Tenerife, surrounded by semi naked.

......, I do need the occasional distraction

:-)

Kev

• Like 2

Kev & Julian;

Most of my personal pictures are still on 35mm color slides I have yet to have digitized. Here are a couple of ohter shots that might help. Disregard the pyrotechnics...an experiment with C4 I believe. Anyway you can see the radios a bit better and the corner of the Raytheon 1900 radar. For whatever reason this boat has removed part of their cockpit armor.

The two shots of the gun tub were taken at the Washington Navy Yard as part of their PBR restoration. #11 empty shell tubs seen and the item marked with the yellow arrow is the actual gunners seat (sling). It is still attached at one end and hanging down but would normally be hooked up forming a "U" shaped perch for the gunner. Overhead pic shows how the guns were fed from ammon cans between the guns.

And no Julian....there were no army manned PBR's.....all navy crews. However we did insert some 9th Division LRRP's on occasion as well as our SEALs. Provided fire support to a couple of Green Beret A-Teams in our patrol area at times. Funny, the army guys didn't want our job and we definitley didn't want theirs. We did wear army issue clothing if that counts.

(when you are in the navy and they issue you green clothing you know something is up!!!)

1152_zps0viplp9r.jpg

Twin50_zpsodt9ciho.jpg

PBRGunTub5_zpsfkgcs08q.jpg

PBRGunTub1_zpssgqbxr4p.jpg

Edited by RFindley
  • Like 7

Hi Rick,

Forgot to say thanks for the reference pic. As Julian said anymore would be welcome

Julian I think the US Navy on his shirt would be a give away ;-)

Kev

Thanks Kev :chair:

Just being my usual thicko self :winkgrin: That was reason while I asked, (also to prove there is nothing wrong with my eyesight, well, not much) :nerd:

these may be some help...

Raytheon1900_zpsni9sbuxf.jpg

GuntubSeat_zpslyuqnrps.jpg

Nice selection of photos, thanks for posting them Rick. Wish I had had these when I tackled the PBR model about 30 years ago.

:)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rick,

Home again and hoping to do some modelling this weekend.

I have a couple of questions for you

On the radios would they be using a microphone or telephone type handset?

In the box on the back of the armour plate flares were mentioned, what size / type

Cheers mate

Kev

Kev;

We always used handsets. Photo attached. As to the flares we just referred to them as "pop flares" used mostly for illumination. I think they were M126A1 and M127A1. Photo and spec sheet attached. I think that drawing should read 10.16 inches not 10 16 inches.

Handset_zpsctv1pwlh.jpg

Single-M126A1_zpsubwxpnhw.jpg

Pop%20Flare_zpstn80eubq.jpg

• Like 3

Kev & Julian;

Most of my personal pictures are still on 35mm color slides I have yet to have digitized. Here are a couple of ohter shots that might help. Disregard the pyrotechnics...an experiment with C4 I believe. Anyway you can see the radios a bit better and the corner of the Raytheon 1900 radar. For whatever reason this boat has removed part of their cockpit armor.

The two shots of the gun tub were taken at the Washington Navy Yard as part of their PBR restoration. #11 empty shell tubs seen and the item marked with the yellow arrow is the actual gunners seat (sling). It is still attached at one end and hanging down but would normally be hooked up forming a "U" shaped perch for the gunner. Overhead pic shows how the guns were fed from ammon cans between the guns.

And no Julian....there were no army manned PBR's.....all navy crews. However we did insert some 9th Division LRRP's on occasion as well as our SEALs. Provided fire support to a couple of Green Beret A-Teams in our patrol area at times. Funny, the army guys didn't want our job and we definitley didn't want theirs. We did wear army issue clothing if that counts.

(when you are in the navy and they issue you green clothing you know something is up!!!)

1152_zps0viplp9r.jpg

Twin50_zpsodt9ciho.jpg

PBRGunTub5_zpsfkgcs08q.jpg

PBRGunTub1_zpssgqbxr4p.jpg

You must do something for Britmodeller on your time in Vietnam .

• Like 3

Actually working on the old Monogram Vietnamese Command Junk (converting it to later motorized version), have the PCF-Swift Boat in the queue and will eventually do the RAG Boat as well. All 1/48 scale. Swift Boat requiring a lot of work because there is no interior. I even have the Tamiya PBR on the shelf and another Command Junk. Will probably do the other junk as an early sail powered version based on the prototype. When I finished the Junk I'll post pics.

Rick in Virginia

Edited by RFindley

Rick, some tasty subjects there looking forward to seeing your progress.

Talking of progress, a number of steps back and then tiny steps forward.

My rendition of the AN/VRC-46 Radio Set x 2

P1080201%20Copy_zpspcxybsqo.jpg

P1080203%20Copy_zpscd4hukbn.jpg

P1080204%20Copy_zps8q7klxgb.jpg

Cockpit ' adjusted ' and radios placed roughly in position
P1080207%20Copy_zpsjwh56ixb.jpg

Thanks to Rick's info, radar will have to be scratch built and sited above radios

As a matter of interest (no reflection on the info you supplied Rick) I came across this build on another site

http://www.armorama.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=SquawkBox&file=index&req=viewtopic&topic_id=197487&ord=&page=2

Approx 1/3 down page 2 ' gatorgrip ' states that the boats he photographed had non-skid decks. :yahoo:

Kev

• Like 8