A pair of Airfix Hawks in 1/72. Finished.

I wonder if that was at the Bell in Tong Debs?

back then it could have been Holden's OR Banks's

You know? I've just looked that up on Google Maps and it could well have been.

In 1983 they were still building the M54 ISTR. That year I was lucky enough to fly up to Cosford in the mighty Bulldog. Of course, this meant I didn't have a car at Camp so I tended to blast around with one of the Cadet Pilots in his Mini 1275 GT. That meant I could imbibe so my recollections of just where the Pubs were that we visited are somewhat hazy.

As a University Cadet (ie an Acting Pilot Officer on the RAF books and therefore in receipt of pay) I could afford such things as sports cars, motorbikes, and pints of beer - although drinking pints of beer out of pint glasses (as opposed to having it in 2x half-pint glasses) was, apparently, un-Ladylike. Sod that! My excuse is I'm Irish so :P

I do remember being in a pub somewhere to the north of Cosford that served Mild (I didn't even know at that stage just what Mild actually was) but being totally amazed by the beer pumps. They had some sort of glass container built in and you could see the beer flow into this before actually being dispensed into your glass.

Technology eh? None of yer pump handle here oh no.

Bear in mind that where I come from beer usually sat in barrels atop the bar and was poured via a tap straight from the cask.

• Like 3

[irish hat ON] Now now young PC how you Yankees can subvert the greatest of drinks, Uisce beatha, the very 'water of life' and make it out of rye (rye for gods' sake) is beyond my ken. Whiskey, young man, is made from malted barley!

Whiskey is the Irish form (after all, we invented it). Whisky (no e) is the Scottish form - those junior Gaels just have to be different. [irish hat OFF]

All due respect to the birthplace of my great-grandparents and the present home of many of my cousins, but rye whiskey has a great advantage over other forms in that the addition of ginger ale (1) makes you feel like a character in a Raymond Chandler story*, and (2) is perfectly formulated for slowly drinking in a darkened room as you contemplate your meaningless job and the endless rat race until your fingers are numb. In that sense, it truly is a drink for America.

* And Chandler had an Irish mother, lived in England for many years, was in the RAF (briefly), and was a raging alcoholic, so it's safe to assume he knew what he was about when it came to potent potions.

• Like 4

Spitfires

poo

I had the privilege* of following a Spitfire ("Drive them spiritedly guys I need really good close photographs!") round the sprint course at Curborough for the Classic Cars MG / Triumph comparison article a few years ago in a lovely mark two Midget

twelve inches off its bloody wobbly tail (Sorry Mike but this really needs that petulant bit of emphasis) round the hooky left bit

It couldn't follow a line to save its driver's life, I have never been more scared in the driver's seat of a motor car

I had to drive my mate's car because the journo who was doing the article needed 'standard' cars for the comparisons

My lovely baby is no more standard than I have ever been and would have had the purists (This was for Classic Cars etc readers, very much the traditional market)

*privilege it wasn't, the free bacon butties were very nice though

There is some truth in that!!

Takes a braver man than me to throw it into a corner.... The previous owner offered me some sage advice...."Just allow plenty of time for...stopping and corners..." Worried? I should have been!

But for fun in the sun and ease of maintenance it's excellent.

• Like 1

It's a shame Debs, all the glass 'see wot you're getting' pumps have vanished these days

Beer out of the tap, as they do in Hoxne, way south of you

I first tasted the Adnams nectar that came right out of the tap on the wall with the barrels stooped behind it in Hoxne

Lovely

I'm not sure I will ever drink bourbon PC, but if I do I'll raise the glass to you, yours and the hedgepig

Drinking whisky is a skill I have lost since I drank the sergeant's mess bar at Leconfield dry of Glenfiddich one week in 73

Blooming officers getting chummy over in the OM and me a lone CI stuck in a busy sgt's mess drinking meself silly on about a shilling a tot, what a week that was

NOT doing that again :(

rye

rye?

isnt that some kind of grass?

• Like 1

Takes a braver man than me to throw it into a corner.... The previous owner offered me some sage advice...."Just allow plenty of time for...stopping and corners..." Worried? I should have been!

The 1500 with the 'Swing Spring' (and longer driveshafts) shouldn't be that bad. If you are worried, do what I did with my MkIII and fit a 'Camber Compensator'.

Or do what I did when my MkIII became a race car and fit GT6 Mk2 rear suspension.

• Like 1

* And Chandler had an Irish mother, lived in England for many years, was in the RAF (briefly), and was a raging alcoholic, so it's safe to assume he knew what he was about when it came to potent potions.

That does rather beg the question though of exactly why the great Don McLean wrote:

"And them good ol' boys were drinking whiskey 'n rye..."

Whiskey and rye?

Warning, Computation Overload!

• Like 2

He also added...

"Helter skelter in a summer swelter

The birds flew off with a fallout shelter
Eight miles high and falling fast
It landed foul on the grass
The players tried for a forward pass
With the jester on the sidelines in a cast"
...so I guess he'd just had too much of the stuff himself? :)
  • Like 3

Ascoteer, on 21 Oct 2015 - 06:47 AM, said:

That does rather beg the question though of exactly why the great Don McLean wrote:

"And them good ol' boys were drinking whiskey 'n rye..."

Whiskey and rye?

Warning, Computation Overload!

Because to the folks in much of southern Merkia, 'whiskey' means Burbon and Burbon alone. Any other kind of whisk(e)y needs a qualifier. Heathens.

The reason Rye is used in so many North Merkain whisk(e)ys is because until the early 20th Century other grains weren't able to grow well in the prevailing climate. It was Rye or nothing, and thirsty people being thirsty, they used what they had.

• Like 3

Because to the folks in much of southern Merkia, 'whiskey' means Burbon and Burbon alone. Any other kind of whisk(e)y needs a qualifier. Heathens.

I must say this information comes as a bit of a surprise to me.

• Like 1

The reason Rye is used in so many North Merkain whisk(e)ys is because until the early 20th Century other grains weren't able to grow well in the prevailing climate. It was Rye or nothing, and thirsty people being thirsty, they used what they had.

That's so true, people would distill anything to get a drink ! Even on the Emerald Isle where Whiskey was invented, the locals didn't and still don't mind using whatever else available to make that kind of potion they call poitin, including potatoes. The first time I tasted this ancient and usually illegal beverage it immediately reminded me of jet grade fuel but a bit less tasty. I believe however that it could be a good thinner for tamiya acrylics

• Like 2

Bloomin eck. Get off a train; do some (proper) work; get back on a train; spend half an hour reading to catch up on what's been happening in my own thread :) Gotta Love BM.

Ah looking at that photo Steve it seems lucky you avoided the Toom after all....you'd have been rattling around in that cockpit !.......ideal for the Lightning though (sore point I know).

Holding at Binbrook in 1982 and having had a few trips in the Lightning (sorry Steve!),

Oy Oy.

(1) That was Air Marshall Lanky McTall in that photo pinning the badge in place. And he was standing on a box. And I was kneeling on a cushion.

(2) Yes that young man was absolutely ideal for the Lightning. But he is over it now. He doesn't resent Debs umpty-ump hours in the T5. He is pleased for her (yeh right). He does however think it was unkind to be reminded about it again.

(3) There was indeed luck involved in avoiding the Toom. As follows:

I was told over several beers (don't drink whisk(e)y or Rye - but quite partial to a gin and tonic) some years back (by one of my old instructors from TWU at Chivenor) that at the end-of-course discussion the instructors who were formerly Lightning pilots said I was suitable for posting to Lightnings - and the Instructors who were formerly Jag pilots said I was suitable for posting to Jags. Seeing as my wish was to fly Lightnings - that's where I went.

When my Lightning Training Flight course was cancelled cos the T5 was grounded for several months - and yes, as some will know already, it was after I'd done the ground school and simulator phases but before I got to fly the bl**dy thing (still pleased for Debs...grrr) - the powers that be marked me down to fly Phantoms. Their thinking was: Lightning = air defence aircraft + Phantom = air defence aircraft = straight swop.

Young F however had never wanted to be an air defender - he just wanted to fly the Lightning. And he never wanted to fly with no navigator neither. Tears and tantrums followed.

Luckily for young F however - the same instructor from TWU at Chivenor mentioned above - and who happened to be a former Jag pilot - was then sent on a ground tour ​to be the posting officer for first-tourist pilots just finishing TWU.

A telephone call - a recollection that young F was single seat mud-mover material - and young F escaped the clutches of the Toom and was bound for the jag-wire* OCU.

Would have been nice to have just one to two Lightning hours in the log book tho'............

* I have decided to adopt PC's pronunciation. It's just too good to ignore.

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 4

Bloomin eck. Get off a train; do some (proper) work; get back on a train; spend half an hour reading to catch up on what's been happening in my own thread :) Gotta Love BM.

Of course if you did more "proper work" on that Hawks we'd have less time to chat amongst ourselves while ogling the fruits of your labours :P Who knows, you might even take Perdu's attention from Deb's legs and wobbly bits...

• Like 4

The 1500 with the 'Swing Spring' (and longer driveshafts) shouldn't be that bad. If you are worried, do what I did with my MkIII and fit a 'Camber Compensator'.

Or do what I did when my MkIII became a race car and fit GT6 Mk2 rear suspension.

Already on the wish list.... After sorting various oil leaks, rattling universal joints and just finished the big end bearings.... Always something to do on the Spity....

• Like 1

For some reason I've only just discovered this wonderful thread and have spent a couple of hours giggling stupidly to myself in the local bar (as close as I can get in the US of A to a proper pub...it does have decent beer, honest!) Great to read all the anecdotes...I only wish I could contribute....it was my dream as a kid to fly Lightnings but I was told I needed glasses at the ripe age of 16....bang went my RAF career before it even started! I didn't even get picked for the free Hawk ride at RAF Valley the year I was there as a spotty ATC cadet...that went to a friend, who threw up!

But ohhh, the Lightning......

Ian

PS fabulous job on the Hawks!

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 2

Nope, not bored at all, please don't feel you have to stop on my account. In fact I'm pathetic enough to find this sort of stuff fascinating :popcorn:

:

Ok,- it's your fault Col :)

Absolutely the last bits and bobs added to the wheel bays before doing the pipe work (probably) ;) Looking busy enough in there now I think:

66cc632dcc6b2342290f4f5b83e23d9c_zpssxuu

dccbe40110021c43b89f658b7e88eca5_zpsuhpf

Off to the IWM at Duxford tomorrow with my Dad - and then staying over together at a local Hotel. PC's Valiant build has put me in mind to ask him some more about his national service as a radar technician on thevValiant with 7 squadron :)

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 11