Airliner III Group Build Chat

feoffee2

As I haven't built an airliner for ages and have a few Revell 737s, Minicraft 737s, 757 ans MD-80s i wonder what is the most correct, easy to build and best detailed 777, 757 and 747 out there today? I think I have an Revell A330 and 767 in the stash as well....

Cheers

Ørjan

As I haven't built an airliner for ages and have a few Revell 737s, Minicraft 737s, 757 ans MD-80s i wonder what is the most correct, easy to build and best detailed 777, 757 and 747 out there today? I think I have an Revell A330 and 767 in the stash as well....

Cheers

Ørjan

Personal opinion (assuming 1/144):

Best 777 - Zvezda, no competition

Best 757 - Authentic Airliners (forget Minicraft and anything derived from it e.g. Eastern Express)

Best 747 - Revell or Zvezda 747-8

A decent early 747 can be made from the Revell E-4B with replacement engines; the Revell 747-400 needs a lot of fixing (including the angle of the wings) but it's the only game in town; the Welsh Models 747SP can be turned into a good model but it's vacform and needs a lot of work.

HTH

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Question for the hosts, would a Satena (Columbia) C-47 be eligible for this GB?

I can't see why not Wez, even though it was(is?) operated by the Air Force it was created to service the civil population in isolated areas of Colombia.

Your thoughts Luke?

I am happy to let it in.

Thanks

Yay! Thanks guys! Then that's my entry for the GB, a Satena C-47!

Wez

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks

I hadn't come to a decision, but was thinking about Railway Air Services (pre-war) if I can work out the colours, or British European Airways (post-war).

The boxing has Air Courier markings, though I suspect there were two versions issued by Heller, and these may be the earlier set (black codes where, maybe, they should be coloured ?).

I've just placed an order for decals for some RAS decals with Arctic Decals

Link: http://www.arcticdecals.com/products.html?id=21443/243971

Looks as though I'll have a choice, one of three aircraft ...

• Like 1

I've just placed an order for decals for some RAS decals with Arctic Decals

Link: http://www.arcticdecals.com/products.html?id=21443/243971

Looks as though I'll have a choice, one of three aircraft ...

Decals arrived today, ordered Thursday eve, and delivered on Monday - not bad, very good turn around, AND it is an international order.

Got a Zvezda A321 from eBay yesterday with free shipping. For $21.

Local hobby shop had the A320 for $55...

That is just wrong....

That $55 price for the A320 is what we were paying for it here (down under) when it was released a couple of years ago. Needless to say I am happy with my $20 Revell kits....

Still undecided about my builds. Could attempt my 1/72 AIM B737-300 at this stage.

Hi Alexey,

I'm sure we can choose different airlines; two G-23 (or one G-23, one G-24) is better than one! :)

I'm not a very skilled modeller, I have only started again this year after a big gap.

I have seen some really good corrections to the Veb kit, but I don't think I can do such incredible work. I will try my best to make a nice model.

For the trailing edge I was thinking of sanding and also of taking parts from an old JU-52 kit or making ftom ribbed plastic card. I'm not sure if it will work!??

I will try to reprofile the roof and rudder. There are shape problems with the lower rear fuselage-this looks too difficult to deal with (for me ;) ).

Otherwise it would be nice to detail the interior and exterior and turn it into a Spanish bird. :)

Have you heard of a solution to lower rear fuselage?

I hope we both can make one.

Best regards

Tony

Very interesting Tony, where did you see these corrections? I haven't compared Plasticart (not VEB, as VEB is a form of property in East Germany, something like LLC or LTD) kit to drawings so I'm unaware of any accuracies of the kit.

I want to try the following method to tackle corrugated trailing edge problem

http://scalemodels.ru/articles/2850-izgotovlenie-gofrirovannykh-rulevykh-poverkhnostejj.html

If I decide to go for more extensive corrections I will use Evergreen Corrugated Siding - they have sheets with various step sizes

• Like 1

Being not at all interested in airliners I have never built a model of one, consequently I know nothing of airliner kits.

What would look nice in my living room is a model of a 1960's type airliner, I have in mind a Comet painted in red over highly polished aluminium.

Can anyone suggest such a kit please? Perhaps the livery I'm thinking of is BEA?

• Like 1

Being not at all interested in airliners I have never built a model of one, consequently I know nothing of airliner kits.

What would look nice in my living room is a model of a 1960's type airliner, I have in mind a Comet painted in red over highly polished aluminium.

Can anyone suggest such a kit please? Perhaps the livery I'm thinking of is BEA?

A moment's Googling brings this up. Is this what you're chasing?

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/AMU14448

• Like 2