Airfix 1/72nd Typhoon - 27th May Calling it done!

Well I wasn't going to buy or start anymore kits but when I saw how nice the Airfix Tiffie was I knew I had to buy one. I have to say that I think it is great value for money and a great sign of how Airfix are getting better with each release.

As I have only just got back from a holiday in Japan and therefore are not sleeping I managed to use a lot of the "up" time to crack on..,.

First thing - cut out the panels ready to display the cannons on the one side.

IMG_0233_zps9e471a14.jpg[/url]

Start painting - trying a different variation of painting on the sprue and no aftermarket or additions apart from gunsight glass and some seat belts from scratch.

IMG_0218_zpsb6f8576f.jpg

One side of the gun bay ready to be fitted.

IMG_0219_zps9879c6c0.jpg

Instrument panel painted and ready for decals.

IMG_0224_zpsb4d34fe2.jpg

One control column painted.

IMG_0220_zps44dda3fe.jpg

One very cleverly engineered wheel bay and bottom of the cockpit floor painted.

IMG_0227_zps63287cb8.jpg

I am planning to have this all assembled no later than tomorrow morning ready for the spray booth

Edited by crobinsonh
  • Like 1

A few more update from the last couple of hours. The only thing that did not fit that well was the instrument panel decal - I actually cut it into sections and then applied them individually.

IMG_0250_zps2bb581ce.jpg

Hopefully this gives a better size comparison - for plastic and £7.50 I think that Airfix have done a grand job with this offering.

IMG_0261_zps977c1dda.jpg

Next stage is to put all of this together.

IMG_0266_zps64dfaefb.jpg

Edited by crobinsonh
  • Like 1

Moving on! I have to say I am actually impressed with fit and have only used one tiny bit of filler by the tail wheel which to be honest was my fault.

IMG_03092_zps3571c0ec.jpg

IMG_03102_zps93947ffd.jpg

IMG_03122_zps224f6f65.jpg

Lots of lovely little details on this kit. Next Prop, Rockets and getting the wings all glued down ready for any final sanding and filling.

• Like 1

Hi Nick,

I actually had an old set of PE for a completely different post war aircraft in blue and green. I cut them up to approx. match photographs I had of the harness and then repainted them. If you look very closely in the second image in post 4 you can see that I have now used oil painted to add some outlines vs. the first image where they are just painted and highlighted.

Thank you for your comments

I saw these on sale at MK at the weekend - that detail is astounding for 1/72 and at the price...well done Airfix...oh, and very nice build so far! :thumbsup:

Frieghtdog have issued a resin set for this consisting of a radiator insert with cuckoo doors, Mk3 rocket rails, anti personel rocket heads (4) drop tanks and mountings. Good value for £7.50. (btw. that was from memory so I might have it a bit skew)

Hello there! This is looking great. I am waiting for these to arrive in Gloucester, have not seen hide nor hair of one yet. I know I can mail order but I want to help the local model shop. This whets my appetite.

Look forward to seeing more.

All the best, Ray

Well, I learned something today... I never knew the Typhoon interior was two-toned. Black and green...interesting. I would have messed that up for sure. Your work is very good... the kit...not so much...IMHO

Thanks everyone for your comments. The interior colours came from research I did many moons ago on the MDC Typhoon where someone on LSP (before the days of Britmodeller) was discussing the progression of interior colours - this could of course be wrong as depending on when the aircraft was built will determine the colour of the cockpit. Hopefully that makes sense. I am no expert on the Tiffie but I followed the principle that if it was good enough for my MDC Typhoon then it was good enough for this one. As it is to be honest you can only really see the black upper part once the fuselage is closed up.

I really like the kit - that said you do have to fettle the wings to get them to fit well. I fitted the lower wing first and then glued the upper wings at the root only. I left this to dry for 24 hours before glueing the rest of the wing. This closed the gap nicely.

More updates soon as I am in the spray booth shortly.

Well, I learned something today... I never knew the Typhoon interior was two-toned. Black and green...interesting. I would have messed that up for sure. Your work is very good... the kit...not so much...IMHO

I'm sorry - what now? What's wrong with the kit - having seen examined it a close quarters, it looks very good - especially at the price - so I ask, what don't you like about it?

Great job by the way - very unusual techniques, but superb results!

Spence :)

I'm sorry - what now? What's wrong with the kit - having seen examined it a close quarters, it looks very good - especially at the price - so I ask, what don't you like about it?

Great job by the way - very unusual techniques, but superb results!

Spence :)

I suspect Les is referring to the old Airfix kit, not the new tool (which isn't out yet here in the States), so there may be a little confusion yet.

Lovely work on this model! I'll grab a couple when they're released here :-). It'd be lovely if Airfix produced a car-door version, too...