Airfix Javelin Release Date

johnny akes

Just gets better....33 Sqn of RAF Middleton-St-George which became Tees-side Airport .....about 20 mins from me .

Box art looks great ....nice one Adam :speak_cool:

Andy

Andy, also at Thornaby while Goosepool was being re-surfaced, where some were prepared for transfer to 5 Squadron.

I'm getting thoroughly confused about price. So far we have:

• Wonderland offering 20% off a base price of £49.99 to give £39.99;
  • Hannants selling at £49.99 but with 10% off for pre-orders, which would make it £45 or so; but
  • Antics online saying it's £39.99, and this can't be an offer price in itself because their final price is £36.00 (a 10% discount on top).
(These are all before postage etc.)

I know Antics' mail-order prices have sometimes been a bit variable, shall we say, but this time they allow you to put it in the shopping basket and pay, which implies that they must be fairly confident of their stated price.

So does anyone know, what solid information do we have about the RRP?

We live in a 'free market' economy, so retailers are free to set their own selling price: the figure quoted on the Airfiix would only be recommended selling price. If a retailer wants to drop the price in the hopes of selling more (but at less profit) that's entirely their business. I suspect Airfix's prices to retailers are ex Margate, so selling price could be influenced by the method of transport from there: special/high speed costs more but would be on sale sooner. That's not to mention possible discounts for extra large orders. Perhaps a retailer would like to comment.

It's good to see that there is such competition to sell. The Dynavector Javelin, I believe, had inexplicably low sales, so I did have doubts over Airfix's choice. Clearly they have done their market research properly: well they would, they're Airfix.

retailers are free to set their own selling price

Quite so. It's just odd that Antics' price (£36 from £39.99) implies that the RRP itself is lower than Airfix are saying. I wonder if they'll honour it? And Hattons will be in an even deeper hole if they're genuinely going to let them go for £31.20!

Just checked ehattons, £31.20 plus £4 postage so about 30% off Airfix RRP. This might just be worth a flyer!! Surely if Hattons offer at this price then they have no way of charging a higher price, after all, its a contract of sale - offer, acceptance, consideration?

Simon

Airfix have just announced on Facebook this morning, that theJavelin will be with us just before the end of this month. which day ? no Idea. its not mentioned.

Edited by Fea

Surely if Hattons offer at this price then they have no way of charging a higher price, after all, its a contract of sale - offer, acceptance, consideration?

Sorry but no! Putting my lawyer's suit and tie back on for a moment there is a contractual legal process at work here.

Hatton's advert is not in itself an offer, in contract terms it's referred to as 'an invitation to treat', meaning that they are inviting you to buy it. You make your order by phone, letter, email or if you want to be old fashioned about it, going to the shop with your money. That in contract terms is you making the 'offer'. It is up to the seller to decide AT THAT POINT whether to take your money. If they do then that is the 'acceptance' in contractual terms and it is then and only then, that there is a legally binding contract.

This principle works for all transactions. So next time you take your trolley to the supermarket check-out, you are offering to buy the goods and it's only when you pay that the contract arises.

Personally I won't 'treat' with anyone for a quarter scale flat iron. If it was 1/72 though.........

Trevor

• Like 1

It's good to see that there is such competition to sell. The Dynavector Javelin, I believe, had inexplicably low sales, so I did have doubts over Airfix's choice. Clearly they have done their market research properly: well they would, they're Airfix.

I can offer a couple of reasons why the sales of the Dynavector Javelin were inexplicably low:

1. Cost. Back when it was released 10 or so years ago it cost the same as Airfix's proposed retail price for their Javelin today. That would equate to £65-70 today which I would suggest is prohibitively expensive to most modellers.

2. It was a vacform albeit a very good vacform but a vacform nonetheless. I've never had much success with vacforms so I shy away from them, I suspect many other modellers feel the same way. The thought of spending just short of £50 on a kit you had little confidence in your ability to make probably put a few more off of buying the Dynavector kit. An injection moulded kit on the other hand... ,,,well I think that would tempt a few more.

So now we're being offerred an injection moulded 1/48th scale kit at a price many of us would find some way of affording then it looks very tempting. Throw in various offers that bring the price down it becomes more so. I've placed an order with Hattons, at the price they're quoting it becomes a billy-bargain!

I hope it does well enough for Airfix not to put them off similar ambitious releases.

I hope it doesn't put them off the Javelin so they don't get put off releasing a 1/72nd version!

Wez

Edited by Wez
  • Like 1

Agree with all you say, but doesn't explain why the Javelin had unexpectedly low sales compared with other Dynavector kits of which I can now only recall the Scimitar.

No matter, that's all past and, like you, I hope that Airfix's entreprenural /risk taking approach pays off and they can do similar ambitious releases.

Have to say , having built a few Dynavector kits over the years that I had never heard that their Javelin had poor sales. What do you base this on? I spoke/communicated with Taro of Dynavector occassionaly when he was in Reading, and as far as I can recall there was no indication of this being so?

As limited run kits these would have only been issued in the hundreds anyway......and its not as if the Dynavector catalogue was massive...

I can only readily remember these kits........Sea Vixen, Scimitar, Gannet, Wyvern, TSR2, Javelin, Hornet.....and a USN type(?). Were there any others?

If anything sales of FAA types seem to exceed those of RAF types world wise anyway...maybe that could be a factor...

Proof of Airfix's pudding will be comparing sales of the Sea Vixen to the Javelin, over a period of time....

Just to add to what Trevor says, most online retailers will have a clasue that states the transaction is not final until they confirm it (regardless of any 'Thank you for your order' emails)

I'll be following this with interest. I have a terrible suspicion both Hattons and Antics based their prices on an assumption that the RRP would be £39.99. Both will be taking a bit of a bath if they honour them, and if they don't actually charge you until the kit is ready to send, I wouldn't assume the price will stay where it is. And I couldn't blame them. Hopefully they'll at least alert everyone if it's going up.

On the other hand, they might take the view that a smaller profit in their pockets is still better there than in someone else's.

Have to say , having built a few Dynavector kits over the years that I had never heard that their Javelin had poor sales. What do you base this on? I spoke/communicated with Taro of Dynavector occassionaly when he was in Reading, and as far as I can recall there was no indication of this being so?

As limited run kits these would have only been issued in the hundreds anyway......and its not as if the Dynavector catalogue was massive...

I can only readily remember these kits........Sea Vixen, Scimitar, Gannet, Wyvern, TSR2, Javelin, Hornet.....and a USN type(?). Were there any others?

If anything sales of FAA types seem to exceed those of RAF types world wise anyway...maybe that could be a factor...

Proof of Airfix's pudding will be comparing sales of the Sea Vixen to the Javelin, over a period of time....

Really can't recall it was so long ago. That said, how did Dynavector sell their kits? Maybe the retailers had stocks of Javelins bought in anticipation of sales similar to those of others in their range.

Really can't recall it was so long ago. That said, how did Dynavector sell their kits? Maybe the retailers had stocks of Javelins bought in anticipation of sales similar to those of others in their range.

Mostly mail order direct from their then HQ in Reading! I can still visualise their advert in SAM for the Sea Vixen!

I know some retailers had them though ..I bought their Sea Vixen from 'Flying High' in Romford back in 1995!! The original got lost in the post and they sent me another one!

Hannants had them too..........

At that RRP I'd assume that most retailers (i was a retailer once myself!) would be getting these in to order, or maybe having one or two on the shelf for the punters! I think I bought their Javelin,Scimitar, TSR2 and Hornet from my local shop - who ordered them in for me..I can't imagine stacks of these kits on shelves getting dusty! There just weren't enough of them!!!

I'll be following this with interest. I have a terrible suspicion both Hattons and Antics based their prices on an assumption that the RRP would be £39.99. Both will be taking a bit of a bath if they honour them, and if they don't actually charge you until the kit is ready to send, I wouldn't assume the price will stay where it is. And I couldn't blame them. Hopefully they'll at least alert everyone if it's going up.

On the other hand, they might take the view that a smaller profit in their pockets is still better there than in someone else's.

Just checked on Hattons site and found the following regarding forthcoming releases.

So it looks as though Hattons may very well honour their price, only time will tell

Forthcoming Releases

This page lists products which we have ordered but have not yet been released to the retail trade by the manufacturer. You can request a notification email to be sent to you when the items have come into stock by viewing the detail page and filling in your details.

Pricing policy on Forthcoming Releases/On Order items

The prices displayed are guaranteed (to be no higher) for all advance orders, and quick responses to Advance Notification emails. Prices may occasionally have changed by the time the items appear in the magazines we advertise in. Occasionally we may reduce a price, prior to the items release. In these cases, all advance orders will be charged the lower price.