Trumpeter 1/48 Vampire

rholland

I'm amused by the Ebay chaps postage of forty something bucks.

No while my bum points to the ground.

Ah, Danni. You have such an eloquent, ladylike use of the English language. It is a joy to behold.

And not very nice of SeaVenom to say he wouldn't pay tuppence for it.

Oh, sorry, he was referring to something else? :blush:

Ah, Danni. You have such an eloquent, ladylike use of the English language. It is a joy to behold.

And not very nice of SeaVenom to say he wouldn't pay tuppence for it.

Oh, sorry, he was referring to something else? :blush:

Oh joy!  Screen - tea - spit  again. :(

And I'm still jolly annoyed that after Mrs Mocks young mans post way back on page 6 that modellers were a bit like planets going round the sun (No I didn't get it either but it had a picture of Prof Cox and he's quite cute so it was a good thing) that nobody, not a single one of you at all ever has made a "Uranus" joke.

Call yourself Britmodellers!

And I'm still jolly annoyed that after Mrs Mocks young mans post way back on page 6 that modellers were a bit like planets going round the sun (No I didn't get it either but it had a picture of Prof Cox and he's quite cute so it was a good thing) that nobody, not a single one of you at all ever has made a "Uranus" joke.

Cos' when we do it's turns out as being a bit of a bummer. Or we cannot be arsed. :bleh:

Edited by jenko

Oh joy!  Screen - tea - spit  again. :(

OK, in short and simple terms - as enthusiasts there is a small tendency to think the rest of the rest of the hobby (i.e. the larger, perhaps somewhat less discerning, market) revolves around them when in fact its the opposite, just like the old ideas that the sun revolved around the earth.

Next week on science club: why you should only ever put toothpaste in your mouth.

Next week on science club: why you should only ever put toothpaste in your mouth.

[deliberately misunderstand] I think you should probably put food in your mouth every now and again, unless you have some interesting alternative suggestions? [/deliberately misunderstand]

• Like 1

1/48th Vampire Mk.5 announced in the new Trumpeter catalogue

Source: http://scalemodels.ru/news/5759-katalog-Trumpeter-2013-2014-chast-pervaja.html

ref.02874

trump01.jpg

V.P.

Well it will be exactly the same kit just a decal change, the first kit is basically a Mk.5 anyway, because from what I can see they did not extend or offer a small part to extend the starboard engine 'bullet', whish is the only real visable external difference between a 9 and a 5. So they have issued a 9 that is not really a 9 from a 5 kit and then have issued a 5 from a 5 kit as a second release, well the sequence if nothing else baffles me. Hey ho, I am sure these Trumpeter kits will sell loads more than the few hundred I have sold, well I do not sell any any more, but we still have other versions that they have not covered, and have some really interesting schemes but at sort of three times the price, will only appeal to discerning modellers (or rich ones)

cheers Ali

1/48th Vampire Mk.5 announced in the new Trumpeter catalogue

Source: http://scalemodels.ru/news/5759-katalog-Trumpeter-2013-2014-chast-pervaja.html

ref.02874

trump01.jpg

V.P.

Ouch.. That seems like a deliberate attempt to put this thread back on topic.. *Must*.. *resist*..  :clown: 

Apart from the obvious humorous posts and those tongue in cheek ones, I can never understand what the 'Naysayers' have to gain by posting comments like "well it looks like...". At best it's rather pointless because forum such as this are usually populated by those who want information and those who have it and are happy to provide it.  There is an under current of "I can't see it, so you must be wrong".

Yes, no one has had the plastic to play with but the most basic knowledge of the real aeroplane coupled with a few photos and halfway decent drawings must have set alarm bells ringing in regards to the few images we have been able to see of the model.

Leaving aside the smaller modeller correctable points, if the kit has been designed with a horizontal straight split line passing through the tip of the nose, the intake lip and the centre of the jetpipe then as a single seater Vampire the model is damned. Just put a straight edge on photos and look at a few facts rather than make pointless comments.

John

Edited by John Aero

There is an under current of "I can't see it, so you must be wrong".

That's a good point John, its also counterbalanced with an element of "if you can't see it, you're wrong" which i think bedevilled discussion about a certain Teutonic aeroplane a year of so back.

Going back to the early days of this thread, the feeling was to take the kit and see just how much of it is wrong, how much of can be rescued - if anything - and then let people make their own minds up as to whether its worth their time or not, which isn't trying to "apologise" for a kit but just the practicalities of working whats to hand rather than what it could/should have been.

I think given your expertise and some willing/foolhardy volunteers (me and JKT so far) we might be able to create a valuable resource for those interested in the kit.

Oh Jon I agree, that comments about a kits problems shouldn't write it off. Unlike the last mainstream 1/48 Vampire kit from Hobbycraft. Now that one was irredeemable because the only part which had any pretence to scale was the tailplane. Every other part, surface, size and shape was ficticious.

With the Trumpeter one I think it's glaring main problem may be fixable with a couple of sawcuts (and a bit of fettling). This will not make it perfect but will I think make for a generally acceptable model.

John

I think we need to pool our efforts under a common build thread. JM & Danni expect a pm in the next day or so, as I intend to kick off a build thread at the weekend with the Alleycat model, as the starting point, then bringing in Trumpy's one when it arrives

What day reckon?

Jonners

I think we need to pool our efforts under a common build thread. JM & Danni expect a pm in the next day or so, as I intend to kick off a build thread at the weekend with the Alleycat model, as the starting point, then bringing in Trumpy's one when it arrives

What day reckon?

Jonners

Sounds like a plan to me Jonners, just what we need , an objective appraisal of the Trumpeter kit showing if it can show some promise and what can be done to improve it.  If anyone can do it , it will be you and John Aero.

Andrew

I think that's a fantastic offer. I hope it works. There must be hundreds, like me, who would follow with interest. I'd love to do a 48th Vampire but am rather fed up with being told 'It's the wrong scale, too long, shape's wrong, should have used Wunderkit's offering' etc.

I'm not lazy but sometimes it's just nice to follow the work of people who know and care what they're talking about. 

OK, in short and simple terms - as enthusiasts there is a small tendency to think the rest of the rest of the hobby (i.e. the larger, perhaps somewhat less discerning, market) revolves around them when in fact its the opposite, just like the old ideas that the sun revolved around the earth.

I may be short and simple but that's no reason to keep telling everyone!

Thanks but with a bit of luck they'll all stay in Japan too.   Maybe the Japanese can melt them down and turn them into some good kits.

No, no, no. Its a challenge!: To see if it's as bad as we all think from the pics, and if so - what can be done to make it less bad, or even liveable with. That's what the aim of my WIP will be - using the Alleycat model as the comparison, plus plans.

cheers

Jonners

Thanks but with a bit of luck they'll all stay in Japan too.   Maybe the Japanese can melt them down and turn them into some good kits.

I thought Trumpeter were from China.

Its a challenge!: To see if it's as bad as we all think from the pics, and if so - what can be done to make it less bad, or even liveable with.

And there, in one sentence, is why we're modellers...it's just no fun otherwise :bleh:

Simon