GB Chat

During Korea both the USAF & USMC used light observation types in the Forward Air Control (FAC) role such as the L-5G/L-17/L-19 by the AF, and OY-1/OE-1 by the Corps.

Both later used the AT-6G/SNJ in the Mosquito Armed FAC role. Towards the end of the war as more Attack jets became available the now 'obsolete' piston types such as the F-51/F4U were used as FAC's

Hi all,

Could I ask for advice?

I am building a Marines Corsair (F4-U5) based in Korea. I was wondering how CAS actually worked in the Korean war. I assume they had spotter aircaft observing enemy positions as well as getting radio contact from the troops on the ground? What sort of Aircraft did the US Marines/ Navy/ Airforce use to identify targets for the Corsairs?

Were any other aircraft involved in the process of selecting and eliminating targets during this war?

I quite fancy the idea of building a 'mini collection' of models themed on CAS operations during the war.

Will

Hi all! I've been quite busy recently and not had a chance to say Hello and welcome to the CAS GB!! There are some great ideas and superb entries so far and the final gallery will be certainly a very varied bunch of models. Well done to all of you who have managed to get started and I must really organise my work bench so that I can get started too!

Is it too late to join in with this Harrier?

Not to late at all! Welcome!

Could I use this in the GB.

A real Typhoon! Not that fly-by-wire plastic variant! Yes, welcome on board!

I've finally finished my outside GB builds and am now settling down to watch, get involved and hopefully co-run this one with Andy as well as possible...

So I'm cracking on with the Typhoon just as soon as that box from Hannants arrives - and I can't wait. It'll be nice to do some camoflage for a change as opposed to sniffing Alclad!!

Hi there...

I was lucky enough to win an Academy 1:72 AH-64A Apache in a GB here on BM, and I'm thinking it might fit the CAS criteria? Is it ok to join with this aircraft? Not sure which scheme I'll be doing yet as I haven't received the box yet.

Thanks...

J.

I just scored one of the Academy kits of the F-15I Ra'am (Thunder). Would you consider this eligible as CAS? I found this summary of the aircraft's capabilities/history...

Boeing's (formerly McDonnell Douglas) F-15E Strike Eagle entered service with the IDF/Heyl Ha'Avir (Israeli Air Force) in January of 1998 and was designated the F-15I Ra'am (Thunder). The F-15E Strike Eagle is the ground attack variant of the F-15 air superiority fighter, capable of attacking targets day or night, and in all weather conditions. The F-15I serves alongside the F-15C, which has seen considerable combat since introduction into the Heyl Ha'Avir in 1976.

Israel has bought F-15A, B, and D aircraft from USAF inventories and is currently obtaining an air-to-ground version called the F-15I. The two seat F-15I, known as the Thunder in Israel, incorporates new and unique weapons, avionics, electronic warfare, and communications capabilities that make it one of the most advanced F-15s. Israel finalized its decision to purchase 25 F-15Is in November 1995. The F-15I, like the US Air Force's F-15E Strike Eagle, is a dual-role fighter that combines long-range interdiction with the Eagle's air superiority capabilities. All aircraft are to be configured with either the F100-PW-229 or F110-GE-129 engines by direct commercial sale; Night Vision Goggle compatible cockpits; an Elbit display and sight helmet (DASH) system; conformal fuel tanks; and the capability to employ the AIM-120, AIM-7, AIM-9, and a wide variety of air-to-surface munitions.

F-15 production, which began in 1972, was extended into 1999 by orders F-151 aircraft for Israel. Israel selected the F-15I in January, 1994 after evaluating a variety of aircraft to meet its defense needs. The government of Israel initially ordered 25 F-15I Thunders, powered by two Pratt & Whitney F100-PW-229 low bypass turbofan engine. This foreign military sale was valued at $1.76 billion dollars. The Israeli Air Force received the first two of 25 F-15I aircraft in January 1998. On 22 September 1998 the US Department of Defense announced the sale to the Government of Israel of 30 F-15I aircraft; 30 AN/APG-70 or AN/APG-63(V)1 radar; and 30 each LANTIRN navigation and targeting pods. Associated support equipment, software development/integration, spares and repair parts, flight test instrumentation, publications and technical documentation, personnel training and training equipment, US Government and contractor technical and logistics personnel services, and other related requirements to ensure full program supportability will also be provided. The estimated cost was $2.5 billion.

Though externally the Ra'am looks similar to its USAF counterpart, there are some differences, mainly in the electronic countermeasures gear and the exhaust nozzles. The Ra'am has a counterbalance on the port vertical stabilizer instead of the AN/ALQ-128 EWWS (Electronic Warfare Warning System) antenna found on USAF Strike Eagles. The Ra'am uses two AN/ALQ-135B band 3 antennas, one mounted vertically (starboard side) and one horizontally (port side). These are located on the end of the tail booms. They are distinguished by their chiseled ends, unlike the original AN/ALQ-135 antenna, which is round and located on the port tail boom of USAF Eagles. The Ra'am utilizes extra chaff/flare dispensers mounted in the bottom side of the tail booms. Unlike USAF Eagles, the Ra'am still use engine actuator covers (turkey feathers) on their afterburner cans. The U.S. Air Force removed them because of cost and nozzle maintenance, though curiously, USAF F-16s still have their actuator covers installed. Israeli Strike Eagles and some USAF Eagles based in Europe use CFT air scoops. These scoops provide extra cooling to the engines.

The 25 F-15Is operational since 1999 [and the 100 F-16Is] were procured first and foremost to deal with the Iranian threat. In August 2003 the Israeli Air Force demonstrated the strategic capability to strike far-off targets such as Iran [which is 1,300 kilometers away], by flying three F-15 jets to Poland 1,600 nautical miles away. After they celebrated that country's air force's 85th birthday, on their return trip, the IAF warplanes staged a fly-past over the Auschwitz death camp.

Being a teacher I start my six-week summer break this weekend... with this in mind I bought this at the weekend because I'm thinking that this GB is missing a Corsair II.

150712_a7e_Corsairbox.jpg

Plan would be to do it as a A-7C VA-86 "Sidewinders" ship circa its 1972 WestPac/Vietnam deployment or thereabouts. Not sure if there are any other major differences between the A-7C and A-7E other than the engine, but I guess I'll find that out. VA-86 Corsairs are specifically mentioned in one of the books I have read as being involved in CAS ops. One of the interesting loadouts mentioned was Rockeye cluster bomb canisters, Shrike missles (for SAM destruction) and a single AIM-9 sidewinder for protection (they were in short supply).

Still not 100% decided to add it to this Group Build yet, but I'm thinking I'll need something else to keep me busy in August.

Edited by CatcliffeDemon

Not sure if there are any other major differences between the A-7C and A-7E other than the engine, but I guess I'll find that out.

The A-7E has a single M61 20mm Vulcan cannon instead of the two Colt single-barrelled 20mm cannons.

The A-7E has a single M61 20mm Vulcan cannon instead of the two Colt single-barrelled 20mm cannons.

Thanks. Just to clarify, I'm talking about a later A-7C (not the early trainer variant). According to the Osprey Air Combat series book on the LTV Corsair II by Robert F Dorr, these were fitted with the same single cannon arrangement as the A-7E. So I think I'm safe there.

Thanks. Just to clarify, I'm talking about a later A-7C (not the early trainer variant). According to the Osprey Air Combat series book on the LTV Corsair II by Robert F Dorr, these were fitted with the same single cannon arrangement as the A-7E. So I think I'm safe there.

Different engine too i belive....

Either way its good to have another SLUF in the GB.

I really need to crack on with mine and get some WIP stuff uploaded

Having just watched a documentary on it, and the recent popularity with several makes of model of it, I'm quite surprised to NOT see a model of the Stuka in this GB. It's not an aircraft I'd choose to model as I don't like it's lines, but interesting to see it NOT being built.

Having just watched a documentary on it, and the recent popularity with several makes of model of it, I'm quite surprised to NOT see a model of the Stuka in this GB. It's not an aircraft I'd choose to model as I don't like it's lines, but interesting to see it NOT being built.

Strange really, the Ju87 is one of the key ground attackers. The proof of concept aircraft in fact.

Hi there mods!

Is it too late to enter this?

SpecialHobbyJu87Aboxtop.jpg

Thanks,

Philip (aka Prenton)

Hi there mods!

Is it too late to enter this?

SpecialHobbyJu87Aboxtop.jpg

Thanks,

Philip (aka Prenton)

Hi Philip, welcome to the GB, I thought the same myself where's the Grand daddy of CAS....so I've dug my Has/Revell Ju87 B2 out of the stash.....

Andy :pilot:

Hi Philip, welcome to the GB, I thought the same myself where's the Grand daddy of CAS....so I've dug my Has/Revell Ju87 B2 out of the stash.....

Andy :pilot:

Thanks, Andy - I'll get started tomorrow, then.....

Philip

Hi there...

I was lucky enough to win an Academy 1:72 AH-64A Apache in a GB here on BM, and I'm thinking it might fit the CAS criteria? Is it ok to join with this aircraft? Not sure which scheme I'll be doing yet as I haven't received the box yet.

Thanks...

J.

Well, the Apache arrived today :

Box.jpg

It's in Israeli markings. I'm guessing an Apache is just fine for a Close Air Support GB, but I just want to check? I hope to start it in a week or so when the bench is cleared...

J.

Looking for Po-2 in my stash and found a Pe-2

Box_001.jpg

Checking eligability, the box says they were used for CAS during the battle for Berlin, digging around the web, I found this:

As the Pe-2 was refined, it was thrown into battle after battle: the struggle for Stalingrad through late 1942 into early 1943; the Kursk counteroffensive in the spring of 1943; the Belorussian offensive in 1944; and the final drive on Berlin in 1945. Pe-2 pilots sometimes became proficient "snipers", capable of planting bombs "down chimney stacks". Some of these pilots were women: squadrons led by Captains Nadezhda Fudutenko, Klavdia Fumicheva, and Maria Dolina performed vital service during the battle for Borisov in June 1944.

A description of their use in combat from the same page - http://www.airvectors.net/avpe2.html#m3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...