1/72 - Dornier Do.17z by Airfix - released

Homebee

I`ve always had a soft spot for the Do 17 so I`ll be buying one and personally I`m glad that it is in 1/72nd scale and not 1/48th! It does look like a very nice kit from the photo/CAD drawing,

Cheers

Tony

One of the decal options is going to be depicting the one that was shot down by a Defiant and was recently recovered from the English Channel. I might consider getting it along with a Defiant to make a diorama.

I'd love to build one in that scheme! I'm glad airfix is thinking outside the box!

I'd love to build one in that scheme! I'm glad airfix is thinking outside the box!

Out of the box? Not really.

I visited Cosford last month and they are making quite a spectacle of the Dornier restoration (rightly so). The shop was stacked with the old Revell 1/72 kit. Releasing this kit is a license to print money for Airfix as Cosford will undoubtedly pick the Airfix kit over the Revell one as soon as it's in stock.

• Like 1

I gather there is still a bit of a debate about the precise identity of the Goodwin Sands Dornier - the vital data plate has yet to be found. Perhaps Airfix will wait until this is confirmed or go with the ballance of probability.

I for one am very excited about the model in whatever guise - also about the Blenheims. Shame no Defiant (or Beaufighter) - but these surely have to on the cards for 2015....

It will be something else if that level of cockpit detail makes it through to the finished kit.

Cheers,

Bill.

If Revell can do it with their superb 1/72 Ju-88 series then Im hoping Airfix can do it with the Do.17 :thumbsup:

Andy

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I wonder how many variants you could make by cross kitting with other kits? I too have a soft spot for the Do 17

I've been waiting so long...

I think the upper wing sprue would need to change in order to make, let's say, a liquid cooled night fighter. That will most likely be my variant of choice should it become available. There lies the argument that if the real plane was so heavily altered why not a model? :)

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...